Kuiu Assorted Items Review

cman79

FNG
I’ve spent a few years reading the forum without posting. Mostly doing my homework based of other experience before I buy. People posting helped me along the way so why not post a review myself. I spent a little $ this year buying from Kuiu. Im 5’8” 180lbs and a somewhat athletic build. What I bought was Guide Pants, Attack Pants, Guide Jacket, Peloton 240 Hoodie, Ultra Merino 125 Crew, Ultra Merino 145 Zip T, and Ultra Merino 145 Zip Off Pants.
So far, I’ve spent time in Ohio & Indiana scouting & tree stand hunting whitetail. Early in the year hiking for sheds & turkey hunting. Also made a trip to Wyoming and got an Antelope back in Sept. Except extreme cold I’ve been thru a range of weather this year.
The good stuff
Guide pants size 34 fit good. I have put a few holes in them probably more my fault catching on stuff. They are comfortable and nice with a layer underneath for cold, but I question how durable they will be over time.
Attack pants size 34 fits good but haven’t put much time on them yet to say how they perform but from the limited use I like them.
Guide Jacket size XL & Peloton 240 size large. I’ve split the time between the Guide and the Peloton 240 jackets. Sizes seem about right and I can layer them without feeling bulky or constricted. So far, the Guide is nice, but the Peloton 240 hoodie is one of my favorite pieces right now! It may actually be warmer than the Guide its quiet, stops wind, fits just right I really like it.
The not so good
Merino – My past experience till now has been with First Lite and Minus 33 Merino and it’s been great. I thought I would try the Kuiu and let’s just say I won’t buy more… The zip off pants fit terrible unless you need a diaper. The fit is very loose up top then short and tight down low it’s just odd. The size large tops fit great, but the slightest sweat or even rain drizzle brings out a sewage smell you wont soon forget. Tried washing these to see if that would help resulted in the entire house stinking of ass.
Going forward ill stay away from the merino but the other pants and jackets seem like winners. The Peloton being a new favorite.

bruceride

FNG
I bought the Peleton 240 this year and I am loving it. We are about the same size, (5'7" and 175lbs) I am L in the Peleton and XL in the Axis. The Peleton is also my new favorite running jacket, can't wait to buy one that isn't camo!!!

Haven't used the Axis yet, but I am going to Saturday in PA bear season...

Fit of clothing is dependent upon cut as well as your body size and shape.

Never figured out Kuiu's gloves (sometimes I am a large and others a medium). I have both the Peloton118 bottoms as well as the ULTRA Merino 210 bottoms. No issues with fitment on either of them (and I have a small butt).

Mable300

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Az Hunter..how do you like those 118 bottoms? Was looking at them the other day. Seems they are advertised as a pretty light base. Curious what kind of conditions they could be used in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Az Hunter..how do you like those 118 bottoms? Was looking at them the other day. Seems they are advertised as a pretty light base. Curious what kind of conditions they could be used in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My legs tend to do well in the cold. If it is cold enough to need a base layer on my legs, then I use the "old" Ultra Merino 210 bottoms or the ULTRA down bottoms.

I would not recommend them to be someone's primary base layer as they are too light. I bought these for two specific purposes. First, to sleep in when the temperatures are cooler (mostly to keep my WM bag clean). Second, to bring along on the early season deer hunts in AZ. I like wearing the Tiburons since they handle the heat well. Before dawn things can be a bit too cool which is where the Peloton 118s come into play.

I do not wear base layer bottoms if I am moving as they are not needed. They come into play when I am idle (ex: glassing).

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
Give me an idea of the fit on the Attack pants comparable to other brands and your normal waiste size. I hear they run a little small

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I find the attacks were a little tighter than normal but I ordered one size bigger to be able to layer under as needed.
I normally wear a 34 that’s a little loose in the waist and it’s the crotch that is always tight thus my size of 34. The attacks fit similar to regular clothes in the crotch and waist, and I “could” get some zip offs under the 34’s, but I said “why do I need to be a little
Uncomfortable, when I could size up and be totally comfortable”
I love the fit of the attack 36 and have the same thing in axis pants and they fit very similar