Kuiu attack pants for early season elk?

DBCooper

FNG
I purchased a pair of these....and like them a lot. I saw an old Kuiu youtube video yesterday where Jason was going through his gear for a (then) upcoming summer sheep hunt. He cited another pant (knee pads) that he said were lighter than the attack pants.

Is there a better early season elk pant (in their lineup) than the attack?

Thanks.

Kostrize

WKR
Personally I’d say the Kutana for warmer temps. I’ve worn them comfortably up to 80 F or so and down to 40 without a base layer although most people could go lower

I think the brushed inner of the Attacks makes them to warm for early season but it’s personal preference

The lighter pant he was referencing was their old Alpine pant. It was similar fabric weight to the Attack but without the brushed inner. There’s nothing in the current lineup quite like it

BBob

WKR
Attack's are too hot for me for early season elk. I'm in Tiburon's for that (AZ & NM). If I needed another pant I might think about the Kutana. If that was an old video he might have been talking about the discontinued Alpine's. They are lighter than the Attack and I think were the first with knee pads? I have a pair and they fit in between the Attack and Tiburon but closer to the Attack as far as temps.

OP
DBCooper

DBCooper

FNG
I suppose I should have added - Colorado (South central) - 9-12K'

OP
DBCooper

DBCooper

FNG
While we're at it....what's the difference between the Peloton 118 and the 97 Fleece? I like their stuff, but I wish I could touch this stuff prior to purchasing.

j33

WKR
While we're at it....what's the difference between the Peloton 118 and the 97 Fleece? I like their stuff, but I wish I could touch this stuff prior to purchasing.
97 is a thin fleece, the lightest/warm insulation fleece on the market. Very fragile, not for brush busting.
118 is a thin synthetic baselayer

I have both, 97 I would highly recommend to buy it, not as comfy as other fleeces on the market but so light and gives decent warth.
I have a 118 shirt and underwear, wicks really good. I wouldn't buy the shirt again, gets stinky pretty quick when compared to my Sitka Baselayer shirt.

OP
DBCooper

DBCooper

FNG
I suppose one could go two ways.....various base layers and the same pants.....or, same base layer and various pants.

I'd like to think this camo could be useful to me back home (NC), also. The latter seems like it would be more strategic.

I owned both. Returned the 97, it fits slim even sized up. The 97 is fragile, imagine puffy women's nylons, mine got a snag/run on the chest somewhere between the store and putting it on at home. The arms/sleeves were also pretty tight. I returned it. I can't figure out why people like it.

The 118 is a lightweight synthetic base. It's stretchy but not as stretchy as say an UnderArmor shirt. The material is a little thicker than I expected, but it breathes great and wicks sweat like crazy. It's also very tough and I wouldn't worry about it at all for busting brush. Completely different material than the 97. Only complaint is the crew neck is pretty snug around the neck and doesn't strech much compared to the rest of the shirt. I was impressed with the 3xl long sleeve 118 I got so I got another but in quarter zip. The quarter zip fits a little bit slimmer all around and the sleeves are at least 1-2 inches shorter. ?? Neither of my 118s stink after day trips hiking but I'm not a stinker.

I prefer the 118 to merino base layers because it keeps me drier and dries faster like your shoulders/back after taking your pack off. Kuiu merino feels great to my skin when dry but I dislike soggy base layers while hiking.

OP
DBCooper

DBCooper

FNG
I owned both. Returned the 97, it fits slim even sized up. The 97 is fragile, imagine puffy women's nylons, mine got a snag/run on the chest somewhere between the store and putting it on at home. The arms/sleeves were also pretty tight. I returned it. I can't figure out why people like it.

The 118 is a lightweight synthetic base. It's stretchy but not as stretchy as say an UnderArmor shirt. The material is a little thicker than I expected, but it breathes great and wicks sweat like crazy. It's also very tough and I wouldn't worry about it at all for busting brush. Completely different material than the 97. Only complaint is the crew neck is pretty snug around the neck and doesn't strech much compared to the rest of the shirt. I was impressed with the 3xl long sleeve 118 I got so I got another but in quarter zip. The quarter zip fits a little bit slimmer all around and the sleeves are at least 1-2 inches shorter. ?? Neither of my 118s stink after day trips hiking but I'm not a stinker.

I prefer the 118 to merino base layers because it keeps me drier and dries faster like your shoulders/back after taking your pack off. Kuiu merino feels great to my skin when dry but I dislike soggy base layers while hiking.

Thanks. I have 118 base layer tops (and a 145 merino?). I haven't tested it in the field yet, but like you...I'm not a stinker. I typically run a little hot on the bottoms, but that may be because I've never had the right bottoms for moving and hunting (My experiences have been with eastern whitetail hunting....which I am WELL equipped for with Gray Wolf Woolens outers and UA base layers).