Kuiu attack vs sitka ascent

Hello all,

I've been lurking around the forum for a while now and finally decided to join. I was looking for some advice on pants. I plan on doing two seperate 5-6 day back country hunts this archery season. After research, I plan on getting a nice merino base layer but am having some trouble deciding on pants. I was set on getting some kuiu attack pants but I saw camofire is going to have the sitka ascent pants on sale today. Which pair do you like and why? Can I really go wrong with either?

Thanks for all advice, I'm so excited for archery season I can hardly hold it in. I've been hunting my whole life but this will be my first year backpacking in.

Thanks

Frank

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

I have several pairs of both, and like the Ascents, but prefer the Attacks overall.

If you get a good deal on the Ascents, go for it, they are still a very good pant.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the "why":

The Kuiu's are more comfortable to me in cut and material. They are thicker, but so breathable I don't sweat in them much, even early season. They have been very durable and have a nice DWR.

The Sitka are really breathable also, but their material is thinner and not as durable. All of my pairs have been repaired in some way or another.

7mag.

WKR
I have both, and as BB mentioned, they are both good pants. I prefer the Attack Pants as well, but the Ascent Pants are still nice. The Kuiu Attack Pants are the most comfortable pants I have ever worn.

OP
F
Thanks for the advice guys! For a 5-6 day trip, do you usually just take one pair of pants that you hike in wearing, or take an extra pair?

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the ascent and the attack pants as well and agree with what was said above. Both good. Attack pants are better IMO.

One pair of pants should do it. Maybe an extra pair in the car.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
One pair here. I will throw in an extra if a horse is hauling the weight.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Have both pairs also. The attack pants are the best pants that I have ever worn. One pair is all you should need.

mdog

FNG
I guess I'm the odd-man-out. I'm 6'2" with a long torso. The guide pants really chew up my hips under my pack belt (Kifaru DT). The GF wears them no problem. The Sitka pants ride a bit higher and are much more comfortable...for me. I change pants when I resupply, generally one week.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
You might also want to look into the Core 4 Element Switchback pants. I don't have any experience with the Kuiu's but like the Switchbacks more than Ascents. They also come with kneepads and are about $75 on CamoFire.

rodney482

WKR
If its 70 degrees the Ascent is a better pant!

The Attack is heavier and does not breath as well.

Lower Temps i like the Attack, both fit great

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love my Ascent pants early, and then switch to Mountain pants as it gets cooler.

I prefer my Attack pants over my ascent pants. I have worn the ascents for two/three years with no issues, but the last year I have really liked the Attack pants. They seem a bit more durable and they are more comfortable to me. I have bigger thighs so the Ascent's seem to fit a little bit tighter where as the attack pants give me a little extra room.

BlackBear

FNG
I like the Attack.

"Rodney482 - If its 70 degrees the Ascent is a better pant!
The Attack is heavier and does not breath as well.
Lower Temps i like the Attack, both fit great"

Rodney482, the Attack Pant is actually lighter than the Ascent Pant - 18.5 oz. vs. 20 oz.

I have the Ascents and they are a great pant (as is the Timberline pant, which is a sturdier version of the Ascent pant). I just ordered a pair of Attack pants and am anxious to try them out based on the good things I've heard. The best pair of pants I've hunted in are the First Lite Kanabs (2012 model). For an early season pant I give them the nod over the Ascents.

MattB

WKR
I like the Attack Pants (the cut is perfect for my build) but they are a bit too warm for much of my hunting. I briefly tried the Ascent pants with the more durable material panels on the inside to the cuffs and hated that feature (very noisy).

Maxhunter

WKR
I have both and prefer the Attack over the Ascent pants. The Attack just fit me better and I'm just a little fella with a 31" waist at 5'8". I also like the water repellency on the Attack pants. This works as long as you wash it with Tech Wash.

OBP

WKR
I can't speak to the ascent pant as I've never owned them but agree with earlier comments that the kuiu attack are the most comfortable pants I have ever worn.

The Attacks are indeed a thicker material, but breathe very well and are super comfy.

Does anyone know the weight difference between the two?

Both have great pocket configurations, and stretchy beyond normal pants.

On the downside, both are somewhat snag-prone in the ankles, knees and shins in the high deserts.