Kuiu Axis Hybrid Jacket vs Guide DCS?

Deputynrc

FNG
I just got the Kuiu Guide DCS jacket and am very impressed. I do have a question though. The Kuiu website lists the Guide DCS as "680 Grams" vs the Axis at "632". I understand the Axis has waterproof panels where the Guide does not. Does anyone have both and can tell me which is warmer overall? I will be wearing something else if the rain gets too heavy but wondering if the Axis is that much of an upgrade?

Last edited:

Skybuster

FNG
Hello,

I had them both for a little while not used outside so no real test mostly impression.

I guess part of the weight is also the Guide have more pockets.

if there is No wind they should be about equal, but if there any wind the Axis would wind easily.

You could do the test, place the fabric and form a seal around your mouth and blow air the air pass the Guide with ease.
Is extremely hard to do that with the Axis.
Even the panels that don’t have the waterproof membrane.

I ended up keeping the Axis for around town use.
But I liked more the design of the Guide more pockets.

Now have to figure out a good mid layer for colder days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Deputynrc

Deputynrc

FNG
Hello,

I had them both for a little while not used outside so no real test mostly impression.

I guess part of the weight is also the Guide have more pockets.

if there is No wind they should be about equal, but if there any wind the Axis would wind easily.

You could do the test, place the fabric and form a seal around your mouth and blow air the air pass the Guide with ease.
Is extremely hard to do that with the Axis.
Even the panels that don’t have the waterproof membrane.

I ended up keeping the Axis for around town use.
But I liked more the design of the Guide more pockets.

Now have to figure out a good mid layer for colder days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. I have the StrongFleece 280 for midlayer and baselayer will be the Merino 145 zip-t.

AKDoc

WKR
I have both and have used both in the field many, many times. Of course, started with the Guide jacket many years back, and then bought an Axis when they first came out a few years ago. Did the same thing with Guide and Axis pants.

I much prefer the Axis...both, jacket and pants. Of course I hunt in a wetter environment, so the waterproof panels are truly helpful for me...I live in the pants. I also like the fit of the Axis jacket over the guide, particularly the collar. The guide collar gets too tight for me with layers underneath. The Axis collar is totally different, e.g., it zips-up such that it is actually higher than your chin with plenty of space to tuck your chin down into it to get more of your face out of a cold wind...not sure I'm describing that well, but it really is an advantage for me as well as the waterproof panels (although it's not an Alaska rain layer). The Axis is also less bulky in the pack.

BTW, I'm 5'10", 180 and I have an XL, which fits perfect for me and gives room for a good insulative layer.

Edit: I just realized that I didn't answer your question on which is warmer. Of course that's going to be a subjective answer based upon several factors...I'll say for me, the Axis is a warmer layer primarily because it very effectively blocks the wind (more so than the Guide to me), so with an insulative layer underneath it is toasty...for me. I've never wished I had brought the Guide jacket with me instead of the Axis.

Last edited:
OP
Deputynrc

Deputynrc

FNG
I have both and have used both in the field many, many times. Of course, started with the Guide jacket many years back, and then bought an Axis when they first came out a few years ago. Did the same thing with Guide and Axis pants.

I much prefer the Axis...both, jacket and pants. Of course I hunt in a wetter environment, so the waterproof panels are truly helpful for me...I live in the pants. I also like the fit of the Axis jacket over the guide, particularly the collar. The guide collar gets too tight for me with layers underneath. The Axis collar is totally different, e.g., it zips-up such that it is actually higher than your chin with plenty of space to tuck your chin down into it to get more of your face out of a cold wind...not sure I'm describing that well, but it really is an advantage for me as well as the waterproof panels (although it's not an Alaska rain layer). The Axis is also less bulky in the pack.

BTW, I'm 5'10", 180 and I have an XL, which fits perfect for me and gives room for a good insulative layer.
Thanks, I tried this one on and agree the collar seems really snug. Appreciate the response.

Last edited:
If a soft shell is what you are after then I think the axis is the only one to have. I started with a guide and still have one in an ugly color I got cheap from the outlet, went to a Jetstream because the guide does only slightly better in wind than a cotton hoodie. Jetstream blocks wind and is warmer but does not breath well at all, lacks on rain or wet snow protection and is heavy. Went to the axis and it does everything the other two could not. Blocks wind, excellent against light rain or wet snow, reasonable weight, fits great and I can fit a Ghar puffy under, all that adds up to also being the warmest because the wind doesn’t reach my layers, I’m dry from moisture inside and precipitation outside.