Kuiu Axis Initial Review

pawlyb

FNG
I'd like to give some specifics on the Kuiu Axis jacket and pants since I was looking for this information before I got these items.

First of all, fit: I am 6'0", 180 lbs, slim-athletic build and the XL jacket and 36 pants fit great. The tightest spot on this kit are across the front of the shoulders. They aren't snug but I wouldn't want it any smaller, despite the size guide calling for a large for me. I had tried on XL kuiu tops and knew this was the right size and this is no different. The 36 pants are a little big but a belt makes them perfect, and I believe a 34 would be too tight.

Secondly, warmth: Wearing only a peloton 118 baselayer and the axis jacket, I was comfortable down to about 40-45 degrees. If I am walking around even mildly I'm good to about 35. That was pretty impressive to me given how thin the jacket is. Standing still at 30 degrees and a breeze I wanted my L super down ultra underneath and I was warm (cold standing in these conditions without it). The jackets layer well. The pants with only a thin merino baselayer pant underneath were downright toasty to 30.

Third, water resistance: I stood/walked in the moderate rain for 30 mins and didn't feel a drop. I sat down on long, wet grass for 5 minutes and didnt feel anything on the pants. I came inside and noticed that aside from water beading, the jacket looked otherwise dry immediately after coming in. I could brush the beads off and it was dry in minutes. Exceeded expectations.

Fourth, noise: Not perfectly quiet but a clear advantage over raingear. So knowing you are only going to get drizzles, or you have somewhere to dry it out at the end of the day, I would consider wearing this for stealth purposes over raingear. It works as intended, apparently.

Lastly, accessories/layout: The hood fits well, the pit zips and pant side zips work better than expected (feel the cold air come in as soon as they are open). The pockets are laid out well, and very comfortable for putting your hands in, I might add. Only thing is, if you open any pants pockets they immediately vent you like the side zips. This means that a) you have more options to really dump heat, but b) you will inadvertently do so when you use your pockets.

In summary, I believe for day trips and short backpack trips this will be my main kit for PNW deer hunting from sept-dec. For moose and mule hunting where temperatures get freezing I know the super down ultra layered underneath extends the comfort into a currently unknown territory. However, for extended backpack trips the weight of these items and the fact they will be redundant with raingear will perhaps exclude them from my kit, but this is yet to be seen.

Sarcazmo

FNG
I've been looking at this jacket.

I live in AZ, and the temps here don't get super cold, during most of my hunts I'd say 30s at the lowest. I'm looking for a wind resistant water resistant barrier to wear over merinos with ventilation options.

This might be worth a look along with that Filson reliance jacket.

I've been looking at this jacket.

I live in AZ, and the temps here don't get super cold, during most of my hunts I'd say 30s at the lowest. I'm looking for a wind resistant water resistant barrier to wear over merinos with ventilation options.

This might be worth a look along with that Filson reliance jacket.
This one works fine for that. No issues running a Kryptek Dalibor either.

Sarcazmo

FNG
Any experience with the Filson reliance? Seems a bit thinner, but weatherproof. And the price is right on nordstrom rack :)