Kuiu Axis Jacket review

Car7x

WKR
Hi All - 2 parts, first one I posted up Kuiu on inspection and the other after today's training ruck in a light rain

Great one piece does-it-all active hunting solution

Haven't run it yet but sold an almost new Guide jacket to get into this. 15% discount at the Pope and Young show - got that tip on Rokslide, most the companies offer show discounts. Kuiu did a good job, had one of everything there to try on and check colors.
Of course, like every outdoor gathering these days, the place was crawling with sports wearing camo. I don't get that...

Also ordered the pants in gunmetal for all around outdoor sports. As I don't have the 2 jackets side by side, this is my impression vs. fact. It feels about the same, perhaps just slightly shorter in torso length, which I prefer. Most my hours are logged in MN treestands and blinds, and this is not for that application - I feel the Vias is a western or plains pattern and have been busted in trees wearing it. It is also not nearly warm enough for stationary use once the weather cools down and bucks start moving during daylight. However, for my MT hunting I'm comfortable leaving the rain gear behind with the hybrid construction the Axis features.

I called it as running small, but that is the whole Kuiu line; I wear a large in all other manufacturers but an XL in Kuiu. This runs true to size for Kuiu, and for reference I am 5' 9" 180, 35" waist, 41" chest, kind of thick and wide - not the lean mountain athlete featured in their promo stuff.

I had a suggestion for the Kuiu guy at the show, and I'll post it here. Many top spec manufacturers provide a stowage system for the hood so it doesn't impede rear peripheral vision and hearing or fill up with moisture and crap when not worn. A simple loop glued or sewn on the bottom rear of the hood (hood base/shoulder seam) and a lightweight nylon 1/2" tape webbing with a snap would allow the user to wrap the hood, capture the loop with the tape and snap it back to itself. Makes the hood into a nice rolled collar and a tidier setup. Guy wasn't too interested...

Update
Today I loaded up about 30 lbs for the dog walk. Under an SG Evo frame in hauler mode, I wore the jacket, a sitka softshell ball cap, a light fleece pullover (couch shirt) and T. Nylon hiking pants, no long handles, Light merino liner gloves. Steady light rain 38 degrees, here in MN I guess I'm at about 1200' elevation.

This is a jaunt that will warm me up, but not wring me out. At my loaded pace - about 2.5 mph, which seems to drop down to about 1.5 - 1.8 with any up and down at 8k'+ - I didn't notice that I was sweating. When I got home, my lower back was a little damp under the pack waist belt. With a beanie and/or buff to add, I would have been good in a stout breeze down another 8-10 degrees with this layering setup. With my down hoody sweater, given appropriate pants, I would be comfy in any conditions I would intentionally be hunting.

My impressions are all positive. The jacket is real quiet; of course, in a dead still situation, you'll hear it, but I wouldn't likely be wearing it if there was no wind or precip. No noise from the pack at all, and minimal from arm movement, etc. Fleece or wool would be quieter, of course, but I don't know how you could get a shell quieter.

I shot about a dozen arrows when I got back - found I had to tuck the hood behind my ear and chin flaps under my chin to get my anchor point and peep - and it was very quiet in that activity.

The hood is well scooped at eye level for peripheral vision and hearing. Forearms taper to a well sized cuff, and the velcro cuff closure system works fine, looks to last. Inline cord locks are very smart and minimalist - a pinch while putting some stretch into the hood loosens everything. No need for a third system at the back of the skull for my fit, anyway. Waist hem draws up nicely with the same UL bungee setup, all you need. The pit zips are very easy to open and close, and I liked that I could just unzip the tops on the under arm. My pack straps made a natural stopping point for the zipper opening, and it seems like I get a little bellows action out of a jacket that lets me open just the arms when it's cool and seems to blow out some heat with minimal flappage...

In summary, I'm glad I traded 'up', although the Guide jacket would have done just as well for this 4 mile walk - all day, maybe I'd be damper. The Axis strikes me as a little trimmer; I love the XL fit, but it seems a bit shorter, which I prefer. Still drops below my butt so with care I could easily sit on it. At 65, while fit, I don't take anything for granted and figure this will be my last go around on gear. I'll still have raingear at camp or the rig, and hopefully won't even need this during most archery elk days. Having the hybrid rain resistant paneling should handle most the warm weather I'll encounter, and of course the breathability should be fine for snowy conditions. I have a million jackets, but this will probably find some steelhead and ski use as well...time for another jacket purge.