KUIU Axis or Kenai?

I need help deciding between the Axis and Kenai jackets for my outer layer. I only have money for one right now. I go on one western hunt a year generally between October 15 and November 15. Temps usually range from 15-70 degrees with no wind to 40 mph wind. My time is usually divided between glassing and still hunting.
I hunt whitetail from a stand in 20-60 degree weather. Wind is usually 10-15 mph.
I have started putting together my layering system:
Merino 200 & Peloton 118 for baselayers

Peloton 97, Peloton 200 zip-t, Strongfleece 210, Peloton 240 for mid layers

Outer layer?

Bottoms
Merino for baselayer
Axis pant for outer layer

Rain gear- Cabelas space rain gear for the occasional rain.

Any help is appreciated!

xcutter

WKR
Love my Kenai jacket. Very comfortable and warm for the what it weighs. I bought mine for the exact same uses you described. Keep in mind though that this jacket is some what fragile and don't plan to do any brush busting with it.

OP
O
Love my Kenai jacket. Very comfortable and warm for the what it weighs. I bought mine for the exact same uses you described. Keep in mind though that this jacket is some what fragile and don't plan to do any brush busting with it.
Thanks for your input!
Anyone else that can help?

Drenalin

WKR
Two extremely different layers. I love the Kenai jacket enough that I’ve ordered the pants and a vest too. It’s not an outer layer though in the sense that you can go ripping through brush without issue - it’s a very quiet (not dead silent) puffy jacket. The Axis is a softshell, and is (in my opinion) as loud and useless as any other softshell. I’d get a Kenai and put your rain jacket on over it when the wind picks up. The Kenai stops no wind, but that’s not at all what it’s built for.

Edit to add, the Kenai is not extremely warm. You may be uncomfortable at the lower range of conditions you’ve described. Also, that’s a lot of midlayer options.

Last edited:
What are you wanting from this next item?

Warmth? General protection?

Are your western hunts backpack only or are you camping next to your vehicle?

Drenalin summed it up nicely.
And good questions from AZ.

I'd like to have a down puffy in the layering arsenal. Then could put rain layer over it.

Or, if not a backpack hunt where weight and space is a big concern, the Axis or some other jacket as an outer layer makes sense. For me it's the parka from Day One.

OP
O
What are you wanting from this next item?

Warmth? General protection?

Are your western hunts backpack only or are you camping next to your vehicle?
I really want warmth and protection. Is there a piece that does both? I have backpack hunted in the past but am getting where I hunt from a camp now on my western hunts.

utley010

FNG
The Kutana Gale Force (basically if the Kutana shell+Kenai had a baby) seems to be Kuiu's only durable insulation piece, but the cost is prohibitive.

I have the Axis jacket. For the price, I'm pretty disappointed by it. It is not warm, it does little to cut the wind, it is quite loud, and isn't long enough to cover my lower back while sitting. Only reason I have it is as an outer layer for brush busting while treestand hunting in MN. I'll probably sell it and use my rain gear as a durable outer when necessary.