Kuiu Axis, Sitka Timberlines, SG Dehaveland which Pants?

Bearsears

WKR
Im looking to add a pair of softshell pants for my later season hunts. Ive somewhat narrowed it down to the above options. I really like the idea of having hip vents. Im looking for recommendations and experiences from the group on softshell pants (especially the above listed) for later season hunts. Any other options I should look seriously at?

sr80

WKR
dont forget first lite foundry. Ive never had axis pants but the timberlines used to be my fav late season pant but the DH pants i like better now. The foundry pants look sweet too though.

H80Hunter

WKR
You don’t include them here, but my experience I had a couple of pants for winter use and while the sitka timberlines have been bomb proof, I ripped a pair of FL catalysts (not the foundry, obviously) twice in about 4 uses. I was disappointed because I’ve put the catalyst jacket through hell and it has zero holes through 3 years.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the axis pant and have used the timberline for years and love how durable they are but the knee pad drives me crazy when I’m hiking. I talked to a few others and they said the knee pad on the axis isn’t as thick or large as the timberline so I’m giving that a try this year when I go to Alaska. If the DH pant had netting behind the side zip I would have tried them because I love sg stuff. The timberline is definitely bomb proof and I used it in Alaska and other rough terrain for the last 5 years of late season hunts to get back to your OP.

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
Thanks for the replies everyone. I didnt include the foundry pants because they are only in a the obsidian (ive blown them out in two days before) and the corrugates (which are my current everything but late season pants. Im looking for something with a fleece backer for a bit more warmth while hiking. My corrugates just arent enough sometimes with a base layer under them. Sr80, Why do you like the DH pants better now?

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't tried the Sitka or SG pants. However, I have a ton of experience with the Guide and Axis.

Between those two options, I would look at how much snow do you expect to see during the later season hunts? If it's light flurries with just wind and cold weather but you're not dealing with thick snow, the guides will work fine. They're a hair easier to hike in and they do a great job keeping you warm.

Where the Axis shine is for dealing with snow and sleet before it's gets bad enough to pull on rain pants. They're tough as nails and the added waterproof/resistant materials on the seat and knees are great for glassing in snowy conditions where the guides would soak through.

You could make due with either, but if I were packing for a late season CO hunt, I'd be taking my Axis over the guides.

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
Haven't tried the Sitka or SG pants. However, I have a ton of experience with the Guide and Axis.

Between those two options, I would look at how much snow do you expect to see during the later season hunts? If it's light flurries with just wind and cold weather but you're not dealing with thick snow, the guides will work fine. They're a hair easier to hike in and they do a great job keeping you warm.

Where the Axis shine is for dealing with snow and sleet before it's gets bad enough to pull on rain pants. They're tough as nails and the added waterproof/resistant materials on the seat and knees are great for glassing in snowy conditions where the guides would soak through.

You could make due with either, but if I were packing for a late season CO hunt, I'd be taking my Axis over the guides.
This is the exact kind of data point I was looking for. Thank you

It really depends how active you will be in the "Late Season". My most common setup is the Kuiu Attack(pro or reg) + the Zip-off 145s. If I am expecting colder temps or less activity then I move to the Guide pant or Talus. I have used both of those pants down into the teens with lots of snow and wind. In addition to the pants I use the Firstlite Wick long boxers almost exclusively. The combo of long boxers, zip-off 145 long johns and and pants will allow you to be very versatile in a wide array of conditions and will allow you some adjustments if you increase your activity levels. No experience with the other brands of pants other than years back i had Firstlites gen 1 pant and highly disliked it due to fit. I have found for me the Kuiu pants fit very well since the beginning.

The SG DH is likely closest but more pant with more versatility than your current FL Corrugates as they are unlined, the SG will be more versatile with the very large hip vents. SG also does well with snow or some rain and doesn't let the wind rip right through. With long underwear these can go into the teens while hiking and be very very comfortable up into the 60/70s depending on how warm you run. Very good all around pant with a slightly lower bottom and top end than Kuiu attacks. I wasn't real impressed with the FL Corrugate Guides when I had them, just felt like they ran hot, didn't block much moisture, zero wind resistance, and weren't terribly durable. Comfort was great.
Kuiu Axis are slightly thinner than the Kuiu Guide but do block the wind and stay a little dryer when conditions are wet. If you are in wind with cold Axis are the only option. Hip vents expand the comfort range. Guides are thicker but don't block the wind, I would rate them about like the SG DH for wind, but they do really well with snow and have larger hip and pocket zippers than the axis so you can get more heat out. Can't go wrong with the axis or guide, I have the guides (switch with a friend who has axis) and when they are worn out will be going with the axis for the added wind blocking, and waterproof butt and knees. I think they run about the same for temperature with the axis breathing very slightly less due to construction and design and that is made up for by thinner material and backing.
Sitka Timberline just haven't changed in so long, they were great when they came out, but Sitka is so far behind not offering hip vents. These only get mentioned as a late season pant because they don't breathe well so they do keep you warm. Problem is if you are hiking hard you will be sweating. The key for me in late season is managing layers and keeping sweat to a minimum so I am dryer and warmer. The pant material isn't that thick and I would put them in the same range as the SG DH but without the hip vents they don't have the versatility. Butt and Knees are nice but they are not adapting with the market and times. I've bought sitka Mountain and timberline pants twice because I thought I missed something the first time around with all the reports of how great both Sitka pants are. All 4 pants were sold without that many uses because they don't meet the same level of performance others offer.

coyyota

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve had all 3. De havillands are my pick based on fit, pockets, weight-to-durability. Some folks get torqued up on material sound, they do make a little noise, it’s not terrible but it is there. Does get a little better with wear.

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
Thanks for all the great respoinses everyone. This is why I love this community. Real, thorough, honest product insight with legit use and less bias. Its looking like Im narrowing down to the dehavs or axis and sounds like if Im expecting cold and snow the axis may get the nod.

Shoot, I’ve been wanting for nothing wearing deHavs into the latest of late seasons but this thread has me lusting after axis pants now, so thanks for that…

Outlaw99

WKR
Sold my timberlines which I loved and tried the axis. I have no regrets. The axis overall fit is a little better for me and I found them to be warmer with more versatility (hip vents) than the sitkas. Never tried the SG, and don’t plan to. Until the axis die, they’re my go to for cooler late season hunts.