Kuiu Axis Upgrades

jester87

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I'd share some info.

Just received my Axis jacket in Ash and noticed the bottom back section has a waterproof section which isnt mentioned on their website. Spoke with a rep and he confirmed that the Axis line is undergoing upgrades (additional waterproof panels). For the jacket, there's more waterproof coverage in the chest and along the lower back. The pant panels go from the knee down to the lower leg and around the back like the Talus. Currently only Ash has the upgrade. Eventually all colors will have it. If you look at the Ash photos on their site, you can see the darker waterproof fabric areas.

I bought this fully expecting to try on and return but now it's going to replace my guide. I really like the color, it matches with verde and vias bottoms.

Well the original Axis version will have to due for me. I replaced my jetstream with it and ordered the first day of the 15% sale. Took it out last weekend for a wolf/cow elk hunt and thought the jacket did really well. Looking forward to leaving the rain jacket behind pretty much all of rifle season now. I think the extra waterproof fabric on the chest of the upgraded version can be useful but at the same time also probably limit breath ability slightly. I just don't get the lower back panel since you don't sit on your back.

davescarp

WKR
I like that new upgrade. Can I ask a question? What color is ash from Kuiu? Is it brown? Is it greenish brown? Maybe i've got man colorblind thing going on but I can't quite tell lol.

The waterproof panel in the lower back will be good when you kneel down in the snow or when it’s wet and the heel of your boots have snow on them and touch your rear area.

OP
jester87

jester87

Lil-Rokslider
Its a greenish brown. In the sun the green hue shows more and in shade/low light the brown. Not sure why they decided to call it Ash.

Late to the party here, but I got mine a couple weeks ago, and noticed the upgrade panels, and really paid no attention to them. Figured it was an oversight in the description on the website. Good to know it's an upgrade. Love the ash color too. I bought the Axis jacket and a First Lite Catalyst to compare side by side, and although the Catalyst is significantly quieter, I think the Axis is going to blow it away in durability and wind/water resistance. I'm planning on using it as an outer shell in cold/rainy weather, and think it will be excellent for that. The Catalyst will be getting sold.

Benjblt

WKR
I tried it. I guess kuiu softshells dont fit me. 5' 8" 170 and the Medium is too tight in the shoulders and the large is too . . . Well, large. I really wanted this to work.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

For those of you who also have a peloton 240, is the axis too much comparatively for spring turkey. Looking for a do it all but the Axis might be too much in Spring whereas the Peloton can be a mid layer in the fall.