Kuiu Axis v Guide Jacket

Hey guys, saw there was a thread in here for the axis v guide pants. Wanting to get everyone's input on the axis v guide jacket. My only experience with hunting in a soft shell is the guide jacket. While I don't have any complaints on the guide I'm very interested in the Axis jacket. This would be used for October rifle mule deer / elk in ID, WY, UT, and CO along with Texas whitetails in November. Any input on waterproofness, wind proofness or breathability would be great. I'm thinking this could potentially replace a rain jacket as well when any precipitation would likely come in the form of snow?

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I've used the guide jacket for many years. For moose season a couple months ago I tested out the Axis jacket up here without my guide jacket along. It was a remote drop hunt for the last two weeks in September, so temps weren't continuously below freezing, but we were living out of a tent the full time. We had several days when it was below freezing and many days of strong wind, as always. As I mentioned in the other thread, on a strictly jacket to jacket comparison by themselves without consideration of mid-layers, the guide is definitely warmer to me.

That said, I really like the Axis, and I will be bringing it in the future. For me it seemed to have a better cut for under-layers. As mentioned before, I also really appreciated the higher collar, which allowed me to tuck more of my face out of the wind. I think it is a more versatile jack than the guide. I wore a couple different mid-layers with the Axis, and I was always able to match my comfort need. I also wore it in brief light rain with wind, and it did it's job every time. As a soft shell by itself, I didn't overheat during exertion, which I have in the guide...even though they both have pit-zips.

AKDoc
Thanks for the info. Do you feel the Axis blocks wind better than the guide jacket?

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
How’s the wind resistance in the axis? I heard that wind cuts through the guide way too easily.

I’m not a soft shell guy but I feel like I’m the climate that I might use a soft shell, the wind is my main enemy. It’s crazy to me the jetstream is the only windproof soft shell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I felt that the Axis was blocking wind noticeably better than my guide jacket has, but I sure wouldn't call it windproof. The water-proof barriers along the top half of the sleeves (full length), shoulders and hood have got to be helpful wind-blockers in those zones.

jgreen798

FNG
I had the guide and gifted it to my brother because of the fit. It was tighter in the neck and pits for me.

I much prefer the Axis for the above reasons. The water proofing on the shoulders is nice, but I would not depend on it in constant rain/snow. The overall sizing on both are about the same for me, they are a mid layer. They would be a very tight fit if you tried to wear anything more than a thin layer underneath.

I personally am not of a huge fan of the soft shells for hunting. Not warm enough for when it gets cold. Too snug of a fit to layer anything underneath. For that reason, I bit the bullet and got the Yukon jacket. It doesn't offer much warmth, but it is sized as an outer layer so you can wear insulation under, and it is super waterproof.

Just my 2 cents.

dnjat

FNG
The guide jacket is really nice and I find that they run a little tight for the size

OP
Bowhunter50
Thanks for the feedback guys. The axis certainly sounds appealing with the waterproof panels.

Jimss

WKR
I wore guide pants a couple weeks ago on a Nebraska whitetail hunt. They were fine when active but even with a thin base layer underneath I was cold when sitting and glassing in a breeze to stiff wind. If the guide jacket is similar I would be somewhat disappointed if I was looking for a windproof jacket when it gets any colder than around 40 degrees. I would definitely need several additional layers when inactive.

As mentioned above I certainly wouldn't rely on guides being waterproof. They likely are ok for a short drizzle but I would definitely would put on a rain jacket if it's going to be wet for extended periods.

I'm a little shocked that Kuiu doesn't offer a heavier jacket than the Axis or Guide that remains relatively warm for an outer without all the bulk of a puffy or having to add other layers.....maybe they do and I'm missing something? I guess they probably want you to buy more layers rather than having 1 jacket that nearly does everything (base layer, jacket, puffy, rainjacket). It's nice having the option of several layers but it all adds up with bulk and weight!

Agustas

FNG
I wore guide pants a couple weeks ago on a Nebraska whitetail hunt. They were fine when active but even with a thin base layer underneath I was cold when sitting and glassing in a breeze to stiff wind. If the guide jacket is similar I would be somewhat disappointed if I was looking for a windproof jacket when it gets any colder than around 40 degrees. I would definitely need several additional layers when inactive.

As mentioned above I certainly wouldn't rely on guides being waterproof. They likely are ok for a short drizzle but I would definitely would put on a rain jacket if it's going to be wet for extended periods.

I'm a little shocked that Kuiu doesn't offer a heavier jacket than the Axis or Guide that remains relatively warm for an outer without all the bulk of a puffy or having to add other layers.....maybe they do and I'm missing something? I guess they probably want you to buy more layers rather than having 1 jacket that nearly does everything (base layer, jacket, puffy, rainjacket). It's nice having the option of several layers but it all adds up with bulk and weight!
I totally agree! Anyone know of such a jacket ?

Jimss

WKR
Old school used to be thinsulate. Thinsulate is relatively compact/light and super windproof. A jacket with thinsulate, gortex and pitzips would be a great combo for cold, wet weather.

BluMtn

WKR
I have the guide pants and really like them. For a coat I wear the Kryptek Vellus. I realize I am committing a sin by mixing my camo but I am comfortable and I also have the Vellus and Cadog pants also.

Kostrize

WKR
The waterproof/windproof panels on the Axis appear to have been extended to cover the whole chest instead of just the collar. It’s not depicted in the picture of the gunmetal color one, but mine has the Dermizax panels across the chest. There is also a large panel on the bottom rear of the jacket now. It is depicted on the picture of the Ash color jacket. The pants are also showing extended panels the whole way down the leg, not just the knee area.

The Axis is fairly tight fitting compared to the Guide. I see this as a bonus because it’s easier to layer a large puffy overtop. It’s not quite as warm as the guide because it has a lighter fleece lining. The bonding makes it more windproof though, and the waterproof panels are awesome. To me, that makes it a more versatile jacket overall than the Guide. It is very well made. Forearms run tight and torso is a little short, be forewarned. Great jacket

Last edited:
OP
Bowhunter50
Hey guys. Wanted to report back. I ended up getting the axis jacket in the ash color. The fit is great. I’ve just worn it sledding with the kids so far so I don’t have any real world experience to share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk