Kuiu Axis v.s. Sitka Jetstream Jackets

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Jetstream Jacket is a must have for late season big game hunts! It may not be incredibly warm for it's weight if you are comparing it to down jackets, but the windstopper laminate is a game changer for frigid weather. Throw a Kelvin Active Jacket underneath and you will have a killer mid-late season system for active hunts!

excaliber

WKR
I'll have to disagree with that statement. I had a DCS guide jacket and it did a terrible job of blocking the wind. Maybe things have changed since I owned mine a few years ago?
All I know is my Jetstream blocks the wind completely. The DCS is a jacket that had me thinking, what the heck is this designed for as it did nothing well at all.
I sold it almost immediately.

The Axis looks nice. What about the rest of the material other than the shoulders and hood? Is it just DWR treated fabric?

The Jetstream sheds water too as the upper seam construction is very similar to the Axis jacket.

I would agree the jetstream is better in the wind but if wind is your main concern in a softshell I feel like the guide dcs may be better options more closely resembling the Sitka performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'll have to disagree with that statement. I had a DCS guide jacket and it did a terrible job of blocking the wind. Maybe things have changed since I owned mine a few years ago?
All I know is my Jetstream blocks the wind completely. The DCS is a jacket that had me thinking, what the heck is this designed for as it did nothing well at all.

The Axis looks nice. What about the rest of the material other than the shoulders and hood? Is it just DWR treated fabric?

The Jetstream sheds water too as the seam construction is very similar to the Axis jacket.

The Jetstream is nowhere near as water-resistant as the Axis. The Jetstream also takes much longer to dry once wet IME. But then again soft shells are dumb for 90% of hunting:)

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR

The Jetstream sheds water too as the upper seam construction is very similar to the Axis jacket.

It is good we have options. I did not say the DCS was more wind resistant. I said I would say it was more comparable than the other two in wind resistance. Having said that I do not feel the difference is near as bad as you state. I am going to have to agree with Ryan though on this topic. My system consists of a base layer, which changes based on temps, and mid layer if needed which also changes based on temps and I find the new Kuiu strong fleece to be an excellent mid layer to help block wind. The third piece is my insulation which I have tried numerous options because I get cold very easily. I may even use two pieces of insulation that are still lighter than some of the extremely warm options. Then I will add a hard shell if the conditions warrant. I find myself using soft shells less and less every year.

How quiet is the Axis?

I disagree with the negative softshell sentiment here but I think their application depends on your hunting style. IMO soft shells are a no brainer for active archery hunts with wind or late season hunts in thick stuff where still hunting and tracking with snow is common. In most cases, those are day hunts for me. Any situation with cold temps and wind where you're active, a soft shell is huge for keeping the wind from cutting through me without being a sweat box like a rain jacket or puffy.

That said, its harder to justify a 20+ ounce softshell on glassing intensive backpack hunts and a light wind shirt like a 3.5 ounce patagonia houdini fits the bill a lot better IMO.

Last edited:

excaliber

WKR
Allot of these people who frown on Soft Shells are rifle hunters.
A hardshell doesn't fit in my archery style of hunting. I'm not going to wear a noisy hardshell to try to stalk in close if the conditions warrant wearing a jacket.

I'm not going to hunt with only a Merino baselayer and a puffy and a hardshell. My choice.

If I get too cold I'll break out my puffy to go underneath the Jetstream. If It's wet I'll break out my lightweight rain jacket. I have all kinds of options with those 3 pieces.

Thankfully several companies make nice softshell options for archery hunters and hunters who like them.

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
How quiet is the Axis?

I disagree with the negative softshell sentiment here but I think their application depends on your hunting style. IMO soft shells are a no brainer for active archery hunts with wind or late season hunts in thick stuff where still hunting and tracking with snow is common. In most cases, those are day hunts for me. Any situation with cold temps and wind where you're active, a soft shell is huge for keeping the wind from cutting through me without being a sweat box like a rain jacket or puffy.

That said, its harder to justify a 20+ ounce softshell on glassing intensive backpack hunts and a light wind shirt like a 3.5 ounce patagonia houdini fits the bill a lot better IMO.

I think the Axis is very similar to the DCS as far as noise. I think the Jetstream is a little less noisy and I think the Kutana is the most quiet softshell I have worn.

68Plexi

WKR
I had a Guide jacket for a few years and it would shed water but the wind went right through it. Replaced it with the Axis and I’m a happy camper. Fit is pretty much the same as the Guide but blocks wind much better. I’ve only had it in the rain/snow a couple times but it’s sheds water better than the Guide too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Allot of these people who frown on Soft Shells are rifle hunters.
A hardshell doesn't fit in my archery style of hunting. I'm not going to wear a noisy hardshell to try to stalk in close if the conditions warrant wearing a jacket.

I'm not going to hunt with only a Merino baselayer and a puffy and a hardshell. My choice.

If I get too cold I'll break out my puffy to go underneath the Jetstream. If It's wet I'll break out my lightweight rain jacket. I have all kinds of options with those 3 pieces.

Thankfully several companies make nice softshell options for archery hunters and hunters who like them.

To be fair I see your point. For eight years I only hunted with a stick bow and had an on and off love affair with soft shells. But my last two bulls were shot with a puffy on:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royal7

FNG
It was mentioned that the fit is a bit different between these two jackets

I have an Xl in the jetstream and really like it other than the short back, it rides to high in my opinion.

How does the axis compare sizing wise?

thanks
Richard

I have both. I find the axis to be considerably warmer than the jetstream. I wear mine as a snowmobiling jacket. The jetstream is a great coat and although a bit warm for early season, I have used it during windy, august mountain hunts and it performed well. I treat my jetstream with waterproofing spray to help with light rain.

jfittro

FNG
I used my jet stream a lot this hunting season. It is well rounded but there were a few things I did not like. I managed to get caught in a rain squall that snuck up on me and the jacket soaked out fairly quick (i know it’s only water resistant) but I thought it would perform much better then it did. I like your idea on using waterproofing. Secondly, I would agree with you on the short back and Riding up with a pack on. Lastly, I wish the cuffs had Velcro or a strap, something to cinch them up. Other then that it’s been a great jacket but I will be investing in some kuiu this off season.