Kuiu Axis vs First Lite Catalyst Foundry

napid79

FNG
I’m heading to Montana on a elk/mule deer hunt in late October/early November this year. Has anyone done a direct comparison between the Kuiu Axis Hybrid pants and the First Lite Catalyst Foundry pants? I can’t find a review of someone who has experience with both anywhere.

Bump79

WKR
I hunted with a buddy wearing the Axis pants this year. The waterproof portion on the legs made a ton of noise when walking. Not that that's a deal breaker for rifle though.

Montana is a mixed bag for weather in rifle, could be -20 or could be 60. Benefit of the FL pants is you can access zip-off layers underneath to adjust temps. The Kuiu has mesh that blocks access to do that.

I personally feel that the FL Corrugate Foundry is a good balance vs mid weight pant like the Catalyst Foundry. You can add zip-off bottoms of varying weights, add a puffy pant for glassing and have a much more versatile lower system that can be worn from 60 all the way down to 0. For less weight too... I hate heavy pants unless temps absolutely demand it.

OP
napid79

napid79

FNG
I hunted with a buddy wearing the Axis pants this year. The waterproof portion on the legs made a ton of noise when walking. Not that that's a deal breaker for rifle though.

Montana is a mixed bag for weather in rifle, could be -20 or could be 60. Benefit of the FL pants is you can access zip-off layers underneath to adjust temps. The Kuiu has mesh that blocks access to do that.

I personally feel that the FL Corrugate Foundry is a good balance vs mid weight pant like the Catalyst Foundry. You can add zip-off bottoms of varying weights, add a puffy pant for glassing and have a much more versatile lower system that can be worn from 60 all the way down to 0. For less weight too... I hate heavy pants unless temps absolutely demand it.
Do you know if there is much of a difference between the Corrugate Foundry and Prana Brion/Zion pants? I’ve got the Prana and really like them.

Chris.D

FNG
just looking to jump onto this thread. I have the Kuiu Axis and like it, but find it too loud to still hunt in. Curious if the FL Catalyst foundry is any quieter?

just looking to jump onto this thread. I have the Kuiu Axis and like it, but find it too loud to still hunt in. Curious if the FL Catalyst foundry is any quieter?
I would say they are quieter but you give up some weather protection. I like the FL pants but the kuiu just fit me better. I am on the other end of the spectrum than the poster above. I prefer the kuiu mesh.

Chris.D

FNG
I would say they are quieter but you give up some weather protection. I like the FL pants but the kuiu just fit me better. I am on the other end of the spectrum than the poster above. I prefer the kuiu mesh.
Appreciate the response! I also like the mesh, find it keeps bugs, dirt, etc out. Curious though what you mean about giving up weather protection, i understand that the FL Catalyst foundry has the same design as the Axis in that it has a waterproof panel in the seat and from the knee's down. Is that not true or what is the difference between them in your opinion?

Do you know if there is much of a difference between the Corrugate Foundry and Prana Brion/Zion pants? I’ve got the Prana and really like them.
You mean besides the giant zippers on the side for ventilation?
They are a heavier material, and better pockets.
I couldn't stand only having one pocket on the pranas, wore once and sold them.

Appreciate the response! I also like the mesh, find it keeps bugs, dirt, etc out. Curious though what you mean about giving up weather protection, i understand that the FL Catalyst foundry has the same design as the Axis in that it has a waterproof panel in the seat and from the knee's down. Is that not true or what is the difference between them in your opinion?
sure. Have never been a huge fan of the FL soft shells. could be subjective, but my axis does better shedding water and blocking wind IMO. Same for my axis jacket and cataltyst jacket. iMO I would rank Sitka as best, then kuiu and then , Fl for wind and weatherproofness of soft shells. Reverse order for breathability.

other points of comparison:

- I would say warmth from insulation is about the same but kuiu better for wind
- I like the axis pocket layout better.
- Leg opening on the axis fits my kenetrek perfectly w/o needing gaiters and keeps out most snow.

SivvyB

FNG
I found the foundry pant to be a little too loud for walking, but if it's For rifle season then it would be fine.

Tx270WT

FNG
I’m a fan of the axis but I hunt rifle season so sounds doesn’t bother me. The weather protection from snow/ice is more important for my hunting style than access to under layers. It excels for what it’s intended purpose is. Also, previous experience with FL outer layers has left me less than impressed for durability. I’m trying to destroy my first pair of axis but have yet to succeed.

I have the Axis pants as well, I don't 100% love the fit, I think they are a little baggy compared to other pants but I know it adds room for layering. That being said, I think they are way better than the FL for water/weather protection, I have no issues there or with the noise, and the fleece lining is great. My buddy has too much FL stuff where we've been on the same hunts and the FL just didn't shed water well or hold up durability wise unfortunately.