KUIU back pack for sheep hunt

I am going on a Desert sheep hunt this December and then 2 more sheep hunts in 2022 and 2023. Looking for a good overall back pack I can use on all the hunts. I bought some KUIU clothing and going to get a pack. Does anyone have any experience with the KUIU Pro 3600 bag for sheep hunts? Too big or too small? I am not a fan of gun slings so I want a back pack that will hold my rifle.

So I’m going on my first Sheep Hunt and just had to do a big backpack upgrade. The pack I was running didn’t have any options to expand as big as I needed.
I’m going on a 12-13 day sheep hunt, so I needed a big bag.

My question for starters is how long are these hunts going to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do some serious digging on pack reviews. I am not a KUIU hater - I use and like their stuff. But if you plan on putting over 60lbs on that thing, it’s garbage. And sqeaks like a Model T with any weight in it. Again, that’s a suggestion as a happy KUIU customer who has spent a ton of time cussing my old KUIU pack who would like you to have enjoyable hunts. You have A LOT of money in 3 sheep hunts. Spend an extra $200 an be comfortable.

OP
H
Thanks for the replies guys. I am open to suggestions so please feel free to throw out other brands you would recommend.

Desert sheep hunt is 8 days and will be returning to camp every night.

Stone and Dall sheep hunts are in BC and Alaska are 14 days.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am open to suggestions so please feel free to throw out other brands you would recommend.

Desert sheep hunt is 8 days and will be returning to camp every night.

Stone and Dall sheep hunts are in BC and Alaska are 14 days.

You will need at least 7000 cubic inches for 14 days unless your guide is carrying half your stuff.
I had a 5500 cubic inch bag and got my gear and 0 food.
I just got the Stone Glacier Sky Guide 7900. Thing is a beast but can be tightened down to a small day pack size with all the straps.
They also have the Sky Talus 6900.

How much of your gear are you hauling? Brining a tent etc?

Also are you looking for one frame one bag or like with the Kuiu/Stone Glacier/Kifaru are you looking for one frame and change out the bags?
I’m a one bag one frame kind of guy which was why I went with the Guide 7900.

Gdavis3rd

FNG
3600 is no way big enough for an backpack sheep hunt of that length. I had an ultra 7000 for my dal hunt and it was full

George Davis

OP
H
Great info guys! Thanks for all the info. Looks like I am going to maybe need two different packs. One for the desert hunt and then a larger one for the stone and Dall hunts. I’ll look at the 7000 series and the 7900 stone glacier. You guys gave me a good excuse to buy more hunting gear!

Maybe one of you can explain to my wife why I need to buy more gear? 😂

NUGGET

WKR
You’re going guided. Have the guide and packers carry your stuff. You’re paying 20k I wouldn’t pack chit except snacks. And good snacks. Oreos, Cheetos etc. 5000 cu in pack would be bare minimum for snacks. And when you kill your ram you can get sweet pack out pics carrying your ram skull for the ‘gram.

Great info guys! Thanks for all the info. Looks like I am going to maybe need two different packs. One for the desert hunt and then a larger one for the stone and Dall hunts. I’ll look at the 7000 series and the 7900 stone glacier. You guys gave me a good excuse to buy more hunting gear!

Maybe one of you can explain to my wife why I need to buy more gear?

I would just get one and get the big one. You can always strap it down. Mine compresses flat if I want.

Checkout the pack comparison thread. The new Kuiu pack is doing really well compared to other brands.

I have a new pro 6000 that has only been on camping trips this year but I have not experienced any squeek with it. I haven't put more than 50lbs on my my pack yet but the new suspension is a major upgrade to the older suspension.

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the kuiu 7200, my daughter has the 5200. The packs have been on 4 sheep and a few moose and caribou hunts. I think they should reformed great. I’ve packed about 110+ in my pack after some successful hunts. All packs hurt with a lot of weight, but these packs carried the loads really well. No squeaking that I have ever experienced. For mountain sheep.... 6000 minimum. I’ve never been on a guided hunt, so only know the hunts you carry your own stuff.

I think that for the desert hunt you shouldn't need anything much larger than a day pack (3000'ish ci), assuming you won't be needing much away from camp.

For the AK and BC hunts you'll obviously need a much larger pack. I've never spent longer than 10 days away from base camp on a mountain hunt, and I've never been on a guided hunt, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. If I'm going on a 10 day hunt with a partner that's splitting some gear, ie., shelter, spotter, cook system, etc., I can pretty easily get everything into a 6300 ci bag. If I'm doing the same hunt, but solo, it takes at least a 7400 ci bag to fit everything, and then I'm maxed out as far as space inside my bag. The ability to use the load shelf on packs like the SG can be a huge plus, but it may not necessarily be something that you need (at least for the pack in), if you're being guided.

Wapiti1

WKR
10+ day backpack hunt, I use an 8000 cu setup. You can't manufacture space and even breakaway bags or meat shelves can only do so much. They seem great until you have 3 feet of stuff sticking straight off your back. Break away bags are best when you have minimal day hunt gear and need to pack meat to your camp. To pack big loads, you have to get it packed tall and tight to your body.

For desert sheep, size depends on water. Do you have to pack it in, or is there water where you are going? 3000-4000 is enough for a several day hunt, unless you need space for a couple of gallons of water. Then a 5000 cu bag would be better. If you are just day hunting, then 2500 is plenty as long as it has overload capability.

As to the question of KUIU packs, no idea. I've never used on of theirs. According to the test in the Backpack section of this forum, that is one of the top three under load. Stone Glacier and Seek were the other two top ones loaded up.

Jeremy

Just got back from frank church wilderness hunt I had SG6900 buddy had KUIU7200. Both loaded 80lb plus going in with h2o and everything (7days) I was packed he seemed to have room to spare and said load was very manageable. Both very comfortable. I was impressed with the kuiu although I love my SG. And no we didn’t get a ram gotta go back in a few weeks.😁

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with AKTroutbum, your desert hunt you won’t be in an area, or I wouldn’t think, that you are back packing. The Pro 3600 will be fine. The Pro 7200 would also work fine for your back pack hunts as it has plenty of room and the clients generally don’t carry as much as the guides.

As far as the Kuiu pack goes, the new Pro Suspension is as good as any out there and will handle loads of 100 pounds just fine. They don’t squeak anymore as that was in issue with the first couple years only. Just about everything Kuiu makes is top quality.

There is also nothing wrong with the other top companies either, it comes down to what fits you, your budget and the type of hunting you will be doing.

akbrett

FNG
i own the stone glacier 7900 with a krux evo frame, my hunting partner uses a kuiu 7800. last year we packed out half a sheep each and this year we doubled up. the kuiu pack is sloppy lots of side to side movement when loaded down.. trying to attach the meat to the frame in between the bag is a pain in the ass. the stone glacier straps are thicker than the kuiu and when you tighten them down they don’t come loose. hunting partner sold his kuiu pack the day we got back from hunting and bought a stone glacier.
if you were going to buy just one bag get the big 7900 it will work just fine even if it’s not loaded all the way

MattB

WKR
I've been on 5 guided backpack sheep hunts, IMO people who are telling you get a smaller pack are giving bad advice. Never had the guide asked if they could carry any of my gear and I have never paid extra for a packer. 7K ci is where I would start to have room for your gear and ~1/2 a sheep for the packout.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Kuiu ultra 7000 (they dont make the bag anymore). That is about the right size if you need the capacity for a 10 day backpack hunt. The new suspension is so much better on the Kuiu packs. I did try on the Stone Glacier pack on with weight in it at the sheep show and that pack fit me very nice. It was super comfortable (probably more comfortable than Kuiu) but I didn't want to spend the $800 to buy that pack. My Kuiu 7000 does well loaded. I have heard an occasional squeak but not very often. Also I keep my gear really clean and have heard that if the pack gets stuff in between the straps and frame it will squeak.

I've got a few other bags for the Kuiu pack but I always just use the 7000 and strap it down as needed. It packs down really small so I don't see a need for a smaller bag.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
Oh one other thing. The Kuiu gun carry system sucks. I don't like it at all. Go get the kifaru gun bearer and use that system. It's a ton better if you need access to your gun. If you just want to have the gun attached to your pack then the Kuiu is fine but if you are going to be in long toe nailed bear country you might want quicker access to your gun. I would need to take my pack off to get my gun from my pack if I used the Kuiu system. The gun bearer system is right in front of you and works great for me.