KUIU back pack for sheep hunt

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is where opinions can differ. I am not a fan of the Kifaru gun bearer but like the Kuiu. The Kifaru is a one style system and I don’t like the scope and rifle running under my arm and up in front of me. The Kuiu one can be set up on either side of your pack, either side of your waist belt or straight up the back of the pack. So I guess it depends on what you are using it for.

As for the 7000 ultra bag, stand by a couple of weeks and the newest generation of the Ultra bags are going to launch.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
Really looking forward to new Ultra bags. I really like mine but I can't replace it if I need too. I've got a few repair issues and I would love to just be able to go buy a new one but they don't offer them anymore.

OP
H
Thanks Recurveman! Unfortunately I ordered the KUIU gun system for my pack. I guess i can always return it when i get it and go with the Kifaru.

K-guns56

FNG
Please do some serious digging on pack reviews. I am not a KUIU hater - I use and like their stuff. But if you plan on putting over 60lbs on that thing, it’s garbage. And sqeaks like a Model T with any weight in it. Again, that’s a suggestion as a happy KUIU customer who has spent a ton of time cussing my old KUIU pack who would like you to have enjoyable hunts. You have A LOT of money in 3 sheep hunts. Spend an extra $200 an be comfortable.
Kifaru is a tank in the mountains. More money but worth it. USA made. To much money you have invested to save a couple hundred or so. I like KUIU clothing very much but the China made packs are for camping.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

AKaDougie

FNG
If you have the money and time...
Buy three or four frames and anything you would need to use frame with weight (example Stone Glacier minimalist buckles, Kifaru cargo net, EXO crib, etc). Most companies have 30 day return policy.
Load them up (per company policy) with 60 pounds and hike/walk/just wear them. Take notes on pros and cons.
Load them up with 100+ (or whatever your max weight is)
and hike/walk/just wear them. Take notes on pros and cons.
From this you should know a frame that stands out to you or maybe two. Look at their packs now. Size of pack all depends, however, what you have stated 5000+ would be good. I am assuming you will be guided and will not be solo. If guided hunt is booked ask them for recommendations/advice this is what you are paying them for.

I personally have a sickness called gear junkie and have used/tested many packs in my quest for the perfect one. I currently own a Stone Glacier 5900 (old and new xCurve frames), EXO K3 4800 and have a Kifaru duplex lite in the mail. I plan on a full comparison of all three this winter.
I will not mention old packs that did not work for me due to frames and packs evolving over the years.

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
I like some kuiu stuff, I have a lot of their clothes . I have had the newest kuiu packs in a few sizes and put them to work and hauled out an elk with one . For the money they are a good pack . With that said , I have switched to kifaru for several reasons . the kifaru frame is more comfortable. 2. the kifaru product itself is made like a tank for a lifetime of use . it is clearly , visibly, noticeably better product. I like the modularity of the designs as well. And the best part , its a 100 percent made in the usa product with all American components , down to the needle and thread . Their customer service and r and d is better than any company I have ever dealt with . ( in any industry)

I just took my new Kuiu 7800 out on it's maiden voyage. Loaded with a hair over 55 lbs, I had a TON of room left for more food/gear. I'm a skinny guy weighing in at 150 lbs so that was a decent load for me but the pack held it really well. I have no complaints after our 4 day trip. I bought that pack after owing many other quality Kuiu items and seeing the latest pack review here was the extra confirmation to put me over the top.

Trial153

WKR
Get the bigger bag, 6000 plus, you can always compress it down. Have enough bag to carry all your own stuff, guided or not. I have burned myself too many times with little bags ...