KUIU Backpacks

87TT

WKR
I have a Kuiu Ultra6000 and it squeaks. I have taped it and made sleeves for the frame and it still squeaked. I never could get it to carry loads real comfortable. Then one day I broke the buckle on the hip belt when tightening it up. Tried contacting Kuiu to buy or get another buckle, and never heard from them. Still get their catalogs though. I stopped in at EXO and tried on their pack one day. No comparison. I'll probably never wear the Kuiu again. It sits on the shelf unless I have someone who needs to borrow it.

BluMtn

WKR
I have a ICON-Pro with the Apex shoulder straps and find it comfortable with a 2200 bag. Had a 3200 bad on it but just reduced the bag size. Was putting the updated belt pockets on it and noticed the belt was coming apart. Contacted KUIU about getting it replaced, was told warranty would take care of it until they told me I needed to prove that I bought it from them. Since it was a Christmas gift from 2 years ago who keeps receipts. So now they want to sell me one. I bought one of the Mystery Ranch Popup 28's and even had Mystery Ranch fit it for me but after awhile it would make my shoulders sore. So I guess I will have to buy a new belt for my KUIU.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have the mountain fit 2000? I just ordered one for carry-on luggage and weekend trips. Just curious on opinions/reviews, as there dont seem to be any besides the 12 or so on their website.

Firebug93

FNG
How would a SG xvurve compare to the new KUIU PRO harness and bag?? I feel the xcurve is too tall behind my head. Im fitted for a regular kuiu frame size.

mcl

FNG
I have seen a couple of posts refer to issues with the load lifters. Could I ask you explain the concern. I am trying to decide between MR and KUIU Pro.

I've used the icon pro 3200 a bunch the last 5 years. Hauled out deer by myself a couple times and it's held up under load.

Buddy had a KUIU backpack and hated it. The review on KUIU at 5 Stars across the board. Looking to use fo 7-10 Elk trips. Can anyone weigh in on the quality and ability to carry heavy loads?
I have not read any replies, and packs are kinda like boots, that being said, my kuiu pack was the most disappointing pack I have owned.

empty (just hunting essentials) it was comfortable, but hot on my back, seemed to have poor ventilation in the back. the frame itself was the snaggiest frame in brush, and that's what it is around here, so i was overall irritated with that pack.

the last thing was it's terrible load carrying, i carried one elk quarter out with it (all i wanted to haul in that pack) and a couple bucks. i have a MR popup, that isn't intended to be a heavy hauler, but i would far rather carry a load in it than the kuiu system.

it eats load lifters like crazy, and was squeaky

after one season it was shredded too (mainly from carrying a slung rifle) it is altogether the wrong pack for me, i liked the weight and bag layout, besides that, i didn't like it (if you want to see how rough of shape it's in after a season, let me know, i'll snap a pic or 2)

i still have the pack, used it for steelhead fishing a good amount, it's fine for that.

i bought a new waistbelt and suspension for it recently, my wife has gained a lot of interest in hunting, so i'm gonna set it up for her. she won't be packing any meat ever, so it will suit her well (she has some back problems, so i won't let her haul any heavy weight, that's what i'm for, haha)

i am not a kuiu hater by any stretch, i own a lot of their stuff and like it. their rain gear is the best hunting rain gear there is, and i own a lot of their clothes and other stuff.... i like kuiu, but imo, packs just aren't their thing, there are too many better options to buy a kuiu for almost as much money as any high end legit hauler.

if it works for some people, great, keep rocking it, i can only share my experience with them, and they aren't for me

Last edited:
I have seen a couple of posts refer to issues with the load lifters. Could I ask you explain the concern. I am trying to decide between MR and KUIU Pro.

I assume the issues you read about are with the load lifter straps wearing out?

On the kuiu frames, the load lifters go through a slot at the top of the frame tabs. Because of this, the straps eventually get worn out by rubbing back and fourth in that tab. Its not something that happens all at once so its something you will notice happening over time and can replace the strap when it starts wearing, but it's still kind of annoying.