Kuiu Baselayer Ultra Merino 145 zip-off bottoms fit review

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't find much info when initially ordering these so I wanted to post my experience here.

I had been researching which base layer bottoms to get and for me, the biggest determining factor was being able to have full length zip-offs to easily remove or put on as the temperature rises/falls. I also wanted the merino for odor control, and Kuiu seemed like a great option.

As far as size goes, I am still a little confused when it comes to Kuiu's sizing, specifically on pants and bottoms. I'm not sure why they don't offer more length variations, but it's not a big deal. I initially used the size guide to order these bottoms based on my waist size, which fell into the large range, (still have some gut to lose, currently working on it). I am however not very tall, 5'8". So I was worried about the length. I decided to go with the large initially. (BTW I am currently wearing a 35 Waist 30 or 32 Inseam in most pants).

when I first tried the large size on, the waist fit comfortably and I felt if I lost more weight would still fit without falling off. Length wise, the bottom of the pants sat right on the bottom of my ankles so I felt that was fine. What was surprising was how much room there was in the upper leg specifically in the thigh/hamstring area especially on the back. It was too much room, and the calve area was a little baggy too. I felt this may affect the ability to retain heat and move moisture so I decided to send them back for a Medium size.

After trying on the mediums I am much happier. The length is the same, sits right on my ankle, so a taller person with longer legs will likely have these sit above the ankle. The waist is a little tighter but that will be better once I get rid of my extra weight. And the legs around the calves/thighs is much better. There is still a little room, so they don't fit tight on my legs, but rather there is a about a finger or so gap between my skin and the fabric. I don't have huge legs but don't have skinny legs either. I wouldn't mind them being a tad closer to the skin but again, not a big deal. Overall I am happy with the Medium.

I guess I should add the comfort viewpoint, and they are very comfortable. Lightweight, and the material is very soft and stretchy. Waist area and zipper do not bother me at all. They are also easy to put on/remove.

I would say if you are using their size guide, just be aware those are probably true to size specs, in other words, you would need to be in the L range, so 34-37 waist and 43-45 hip, without much extra body fat, meaning you are a naturally large built person, to fit these really well in a size L. For me, I wore 30 waist pants in high school, so naturally I am smaller framed hence why the mediums probably fit me better. I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

Summitdog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review. How does the “hand” of the merino feel compared to other merino wool products, I.e., how is the tactile “feel” in the hand compared to Smartwool, First Lite, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review. How does the “hand” of the merino feel compared to other merino wool products, I.e., how is the tactile “feel” in the hand compared to Smartwool, First Lite, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have experience with First Lite wool products, I have felt some smart wool and it is similar, I think the Kuiu feels a bit smoother. It is soft like a a cotton poly blend, but the way the fabric is constructed, it doesn't have that almost fuzzy feel of some wools, it is very smooth on the skin, of course it is new and I have not washed them yet so we will see how that affects the feel. But out of the box very smooth to the touch.

Disclaimer: I am new to a lot of this gear, materials, ect., I only have felt the smartwool because I checked out some of their stuff when looking at REI. I think the ratio of merino to nylon is close between these kuiu bottoms and the smartwool ones I looked at.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
I just got some of them in the mail. I think they will be a great addition! I’ve had some Badlands merino ones that have treated me well. These are a lot softer than those. I have a big @$$ and thighs. I like the slightly larger leg room. I wish the length was 2” longer but other than that they seem pretty good! (Yeah, yeah that’s what she said!)