Kuiu Chugach Alternate?

Arc'teryx is some of the best stuff out there, but it's quite a bit pricier. The SL series in Paclite is meant for occasional (emergency) use and is very light - good for backpacking. For more serious wear look at the AR series, which uses the Pro Gore-Tex. If you keep an eye out you can get this stuff for quite a bit less than retail.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The GoLite Ashdown is a great value for a 3 layer gore-tex proshell. The hardshell outer is top notch and any gore tex pro shell is going work for ya. Pit zips is a nice feature it has as well. At 13 oz it is 4 oz lighter than Kuiu 17 oz jacket too. They only want $198 for it right now which is a smoking deal on any 3 layer gore tex pro shell jacket. My buddy and I just went on a massive 3 day internet scour reading reviews and looking at specs/weight/price and the Ashdown can't be beat right now. Hope that helps.

http://www.golite.com/Ms-Ashdown-Pro-Shell-3-Layer-Jacket-P46643.aspx

Last edited:
Eddie Bauer First Ascent BC-200
(Specs are actually better than the KUIU)
3 Layer (20K waterproof/25K breathable)
11 ounces !!!
Only $199
They make in light grey
Awesome gear !

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Both brands have fugly colors. What did you guys choose?

Chose the black on the GoLite Ashdown for my buddy who needed an XL and for my dad I bought him the Black with the orange zippers for a birthday present for him to use on a Kodiak goat hunt he is going to join me on 4 days after his birthday I am simply going along as a packer but he's born and raised in Alaska and has never been to Kodiak so I am hoping that we can atleast find him a deer while he is there too.

I have heard too many things about the durability of alders destorying the space rain gear from Cabelas up here in Alaska, just not durable enough to make the cut up there. Down in Colorado and the like where brush is minimal and hiking in aspen and what not. Just too many alders and devils clubs up here to make any outer shell that isn't tough work as anyone in Alaska or West of the Cascades can attest to.

BTW, it looks like KUIU has your rain gear in stock (in grey). Just not the VIAS camo. You might call them