kuiu chugach enough for ak moose?

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to Alaska for a diy moose hunt this fall and still deciding on rain gear. Last fall on my backpack elk hunt I took my rivers west lightweight gear for insulation and rain gear. I am glad because it rained for 5 days straight and I was miserable. I am really looking hard at the kuiu chugach for my rain gear but wondering if it is enough for Alaska for 15 days? I know alot of guys say helly hanson impertech but being 6'5" it is way to short for me. Bought it and sent it back. I can get sitka cheap through a friend so the cost is the same for it and kuiu. What are your thoughts and experiences?

hodgeman

WKR
I'm using Kuiu rain gear and it works pretty well. I'd be awful tempted to take Impertech on a moose hunt though since you're not likely backpacking and packability and weight aren't critical.

Impertech at it's price point is just tough to beat. Try the long "Guide Coat" and some Neos River Trekkers instead of the rain pants, you'll need waders or hip boots anyway for moose and that combo works great in swamp country.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
+1 on what hodgeman said. The guide coat from hh would likely work for ya. Though if willing to throw down the extra coin for kuiu chugach you won't be disappointed going that route either. Oh and Neo rivers Trekkers rock for moose hunting btw.

B

bearguide

your legs will likely be in hip boots so the bottom is often not nessary if you have the long coat

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using Kuiu rain gear and it works pretty well. I'd be awful tempted to take Impertech on a moose hunt though since you're not likely backpacking and packability and weight aren't critical.

Impertech at it's price point is just tough to beat. Try the long "Guide Coat" and some Neos River Trekkers instead of the rain pants, you'll need waders or hip boots anyway for moose and that combo works great in swamp country.
This is what I have for such a trip. It is IDEAL on a wheeler. But, heck since weight is not critical and we have a NICE trailer the Chugach jacket comes along with! :)
Just be sure to try the NEOS River Trekkers on over your boots. I wear a size 9.5 boot and NEOS are a size XL.

mooster

WKR
I am going to Alaska for a diy moose hunt this fall and still deciding on rain gear. Last fall on my backpack elk hunt I took my rivers west lightweight gear for insulation and rain gear. I am glad because it rained for 5 days straight and I was miserable. I am really looking hard at the kuiu chugach for my rain gear but wondering if it is enough for Alaska for 15 days? I know alot of guys say helly hanson impertech but being 6'5" it is way to short for me. Bought it and sent it back. I can get sitka cheap through a friend so the cost is the same for it and kuiu. What are your thoughts and experiences?
So how’d it go? Rain gear good, enjoy some success?

OP
slim23

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
The chugach worked great. I have the yukon pants now and for moose i like them a little better. But the chugach has worked great on 2 trips. We have killed 7 moose in 2 trips up there. I still haven't found the perfect boot. the lacrosse hip boot isn't bad. I took a pair of coon hunting boots because i have 38" inseam and had them made extra tall. They have any rubber boot on the bottom and waterproof courdura on the top

Jimss

WKR
You didn't really mention what type of moose hunt you are going on? Boat, drop camp, truck, etc? If you are getting in and out of a boat and around rivers you may want chest waders? You'll be waterproof up to your arms and will be able to make creek/river crossings.

Will you be backpacking or hunting from a base camp? If mobile you will likely choose completely different gear than if hunting from a drop camp. HH would be great around camp. They are relatively inexpensive and great if you aren't very active. When hiking you will likely get wet from the inside out with anything other than Kuiu, Sitka, or possibly Marmot precip.

Make sure that all your rain jackets have good ventilation with arm pitzips.