Kuiu Chugach NX vs the new TR,….a side by side comparison

I figured I would do a side by side comparison of the older Chugach NX versus the newer Chugach TR. I have owned the NX for a couple of years and have always been impressed with its performance. I really strive to take care of my gear and though it’s a couple of years old, you would think it’s brand new. When the TR arrived straight out of the package I could immediately tell there material was a lighter weight smoother construction. As I laid the new TR jacket and pant down next to my NX I began to notice slight differences between the two and thought I would write up a comparison here.

Sizing: Both sets are LARGE jacket and pant. For reference I am 5’10” 155lbs w/ a 30” inseam. The NX fit me perfectly. I ordered the same in the TR and it became immediately apparent the sizing has indeed changed as others have mentioned.

TR Jacket - the body is quite similar to the NX width wise. The bottom hem is now more straight across on the TR where the NX had more of a longer hem in the back with the front hem raised about 2” higher. Zippers appear to be the same/similar. The big difference can be seen in the upper torso body, armpit and sleeve length. The TR has significantly more room in the chest, the armpits and the sleev length is at minimum an extra 2”s longer than the NX. For me, the TR is way oversized and will need to be returned for a medium. The sleeve closures appear similar as to the TRs. The side hood loop closures are rearranged but function the same. The finish in the TR us definitely smoother than the NX. The NX had this “1000 grunt sandpaper texture” to it that I honestly like but I feel it did make the material louder than the TR is. The TR material also feels thinner adding to the reported weight loss I am sure. I cant speak on durability or performance as I haven’t worn it but the 4 way stretch will be a welcomed addition and the lighter weight can’t hurt either. I just need a Medium sis jacket.

TR Pant - to follow the theme of the jacket all materials are the same. The fit is also drastically different than the NX. The initial obvious change is the waistband. No longer does it have an elastic waistband like the NX did. It simply has a static waistband with the integrated static belt. Also the buckle on the TR is different and IMO a cheaper more at risk option of failing/coming unbuckled especially if worn under a backpack waist belt. This is the 1 of 2 major design flaws IMO on the pant. The width of the pant and the waist and mid hips is wider than the NX. So wide its not even wearable for me. The width in the thighs is the same as the NX but drastically narrows below the knee to a more tapered fit compared to the NX. The zipper construction appears similar on both pants. The TR pant legs are longer by about 1-1.5“s. The TR pant leg also now has a “durable pvc like patch” that has been tape seamed into the inside portion of the pant leg opening. This is to minimize wear wear between the two pants leg while being worn. Sitka originally developed this design style however I was never a fan of it as it made the pant louder whenthose tow patches would slap together versus just the pant material doing so. I guess you sacrifice some quietness for durability. I have not tested to see if this is an issue with the TR but it is something I noticed. The 2nd design flaw IMO is the lack of a buttoned closure at the base of the pant leg hem to prevent the zipper from opening on its own. This was a great feature on the NX but is missing on the TR. Once again I can’t comment on performance and durability yet but it’s definitely lighter and quieter (not by much) than the NX. The 4 way stretch in the pant will definitely increase maneuverability.

If you have the NX do you need the TR, probably not. I don’t think enough has changed to warrant the upgrade. The buckle closer on the TR IMO is a major design flaw simply implemented to save weight. The older close was much more secure and robust. I’ll be returning the TRs for a Medium jacket and pant and will reevaluate.

9E1FD1CF-BD69-450B-96D7-8FAD42BE3773.jpeg
TR in the background, NX on top. TR pants are longer but more narrow.
66CC070A-95F1-49BF-BE42-F5479D6AE902.jpeg
TR in the background, NX on top. Button closure on the NX is now missing on the TR.
962737F2-A519-4C3D-AA79-621FAC74053E.jpeg
TR in background, NX on top. TR has longse pant legs.
E9AC6829-1A61-41E4-8302-53A548AE5FD6.jpeg
The NX’s belt closure buckle. More secure.
0A571421-2A4C-4AF3-8DCE-DF9EFABCE254.jpeg
New TX buckle closure.

Last edited:
OP
Theringworm
13B8F1AA-88DE-42C0-86CB-41EE88C4611E.jpeg
TR jacket in back, NX in front. You can notice the straight hem on the TR, and the raised front to lower back hem on the NX. TR is also a little longer in the length.
8725858D-75A0-4568-8C25-28DDF8EF732E.jpeg
CB035E50-71BD-424D-AC1B-15135ADFE0CB.jpeg
TR in back, NX in front. Sleeve length is longer and wider on the TR

Hope this helps anyone debating on sizing or whether to upgrade.

Attachments

• 91AF1AD6-509C-4D72-BD2D-1EC33F2D82B5.jpeg
    91AF1AD6-509C-4D72-BD2D-1EC33F2D82B5.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 41

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
How do you think the Chugatch TR compares to the new Sitka Dewpoint?

OP
Theringworm
How do you think the Chugatch TR compares to the new Sitka Dewpoint?
I have the older Dew Point from Sitka but have not had a chance to see the new one as of yet. I’ll defer to someone else to answer that.

Venom One

WKR
Good write up, Worm.

I just got a new TR set during Kuiu's recent sale. I didn't have the NX so I can't compare them, but I agree on the feel of the material - it's quite smooth and relatively quiet. I found that the belt will slip under minimal pressure; it did get better if I put if off-center (rotate the buckle to the right), but it's still a concern for me. My Sitka rain pants have the same belt buckle and I've never had it come unbuckled with a pack so hopefully that holds true for the TR.

Sizing is a weird beast. I wear a 32/30 pant so I got the TR in MED. Since this will be my packable rain gear, it needs to fit over my normal hunting pants and it does that perfectly in the waist. The length is 3-4" too long like always with generic inseams. Since I always wear gaiters I'm hoping this isn't a big issue. My original plan was to get the Dew Point pants because the inseam isn't a mile long, but Kuiu's 25% off was too good to pass up.

I was planning to order a Med Jacket also, but they were out of stock so I got the Lrg. I have a 41" chest and the Lrg TR fits with plenty of room for layering, but not overly baggy. The Med would probably have been better, but I didn't feel like sending it back. The sleeves are definitely too long for me (the curse of being short), but the arm tapers nicely so when the cuffs are cinched, there isn't any bulky material flapping around.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Good write up, Worm.

I just got a new TR set during Kuiu's recent sale. I didn't have the NX so I can't compare them, but I agree on the feel of the material - it's quite smooth and relatively quiet. I found that the belt will slip under minimal pressure; it did get better if I put if off-center (rotate the buckle to the right), but it's still a concern for me. My Sitka rain pants have the same belt buckle and I've never had it come unbuckled with a pack so hopefully that holds true for the TR.

Sizing is a weird beast. I wear a 32/30 pant so I got the TR in MED. Since this will be my packable rain gear, it needs to fit over my normal hunting pants and it does that perfectly in the waist. The length is 3-4" too long like always with generic inseams. Since I always wear gaiters I'm hoping this isn't a big issue. My original plan was to get the Dew Point pants because the inseam isn't a mile long, but Kuiu's 25% off was too good to pass up.

I was planning to order a Med Jacket also, but they were out of stock so I got the Lrg. I have a 41" chest and the Lrg TR fits with plenty of room for layering, but not overly baggy. The Med would probably have been better, but I didn't feel like sending it back. The sleeves are definitely too long for me (the curse of being short), but the arm tapers nicely so when the cuffs are cinched, there isn't any bulky material flapping around.
How did you get the Chugatch TR on sale? I didn't see it included in the sale.

Venom One

WKR
How did you get the Chugatch TR on sale? I didn't see it included in the sale.
They had a rain gear sale a couple weeks ago; unfortunately it's over so that's why you don't see it. They've been putting their stuff on sale in groups for the past month or so. They started with their packs, then rain gear, and now their current sale. I'm assuming they'll rotate their entire catalog through a sale over the coming weeks so just keep checking if you need something.

Thanks for the rundown!

I might be odd man out here but the original chugach was my favorite rain gear I have ever had, heavier than the nx but lighter than Yukon, really stretchy, and I think that stretch created a self healing effect with pin holes… how is the stretch on the new gear?