Kuiu chugach questions

jcampton

FNG
Headed to Ak in mid september 2013 on a caribou hunt. Flying out of Kotzebue. I'am looking to upgrade some of my clothing. Interested in a set of Chugach raingear. Looking to use this as my everyday outer shell and layer accordingly. I would love to purchase the guide jacket and pant and just use the chugach for foul weather but the budget won't allow that! I'am 5'10" and 160lbs. Here are my questions.
Does anyway use the chugach for their everyday outer layer? Is it rugged enough? Should I order a size larger than normal to accomodate my medium spindrift and base layer? Any information, comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks Joe

shaun

WKR
I pretty much used the top exclusively in Colorado this year it worked great. It is a little noisey but as all rain gear is. I own the bottoms but can't speak on them as I have never used them as of now

Lawnboi

WKR
Cannot comment on the AK use but I can help you on the sizing stuff.

I wear Medium KUIU in everything. The Chugach is sized a bit more loose than the guide and other under layers. I would not upsize unless a medium is very very tight on you.

Craig4791

WKR
I would not wear rain gear of any kind as my only outer layer. Rain gear does not breathe well and your going to want to get out of that stuff when the weather lets up.

I have the top and bottoms. It's great stuff but its not going to give you any warmth either. I would def find a way to get the guide jacket and pants as well as the rain gear. You won't regret it when the weather turns for the worse and your still comfortable and ready to hunt.

This is something I'm on the fence about. Honestly I think layers like the guide series are dang near pointless. Not very much insulation for protection that won't help in extreme conditions. This year I'll be getting rid of the weight of my softshell and using my spindrift for my outer layer and have some raingear handy for when it gets nasty out.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
This is something I'm on the fence about. Honestly I think layers like the guide series are dang near pointless. Not very much insulation for protection that won't help in extreme conditions. This year I'll be getting rid of the weight of my softshell and using my spindrift for my outer layer and have some raingear handy for when it gets nasty out.

+1 I have never been a big fan of soft shells, but I bought one last year (Kuiu Guide Jacket) just to reaffirm my thoughts. Yep its a great jacket and what not, but given the warmth it provides or the amount protection from teh rain you are much better ahead and nearly the same weight getting a rain shell and a puffy jacket.

JCampton, I think you are on the right track with your thought on going with a Kuiu Chugach jacket for an outer layer that is large enough to accommodate layers and a puffy coat underneath. I'm 5'9 and 160 pounds and I got the large jacket and the medium Chugach pants for that reason. Works great. If you aren't bow hunting then the jacket aren't that load anyways. I think the rain gear noise thing is largely over played much like the need for camo is when it comes to hunting via a rifle. I don't think you'll regret getting the Kuiu Chugach top and bottoms for your uses up here in AK. Good luck on your hunt.

bandit1

FNG
+2. The soft shell is not for me. I'm 5'9" 175 and have a large chugach jacket, medium pants. They're both great. The large is loose when worn over just a base but it is just the way I want it when over a puffy (newest is a KUIU superdown jacket, sweet!). I agree that the soft shell just doesn't provide enough warmth to consider it a good insulation layer and it won't function well as a good outer layer when the rain really flies. Considering wet weather, base layer + chugach is what I prefer. I just add layers as required. Vest first, another merino zip t 2nd, and if you're still cold, the puffy will take you down to some pretty cold conditions. Bottom line, the Chugach is always in my pack and is frequently worn as my outer layer. A spindrift or montbell thermawrap (my choice) is a better choice in my opinion than the soft shell as an outer layer when it's not raining. When the rain flies, Chugach.

I'm going to be looking at the Kryptek Aegis jacket for my outer layer this next year. It may be a bit heavy at 30+ oz but my current softshell weighs 24 oz and it'll provide a whole new layer of warmth and protection. Plus with the pit zips I think it'll be good enough to wear just over my base layer if warm AND raining out.

Mike

Craig4791

WKR
I can understand using the puffy coat over a good base layer then throwing on the rain gear as long as the rain gear can hold up to all the brush. Never really bucked a lot of brush in my chugach yet so can't comment on that.

I still think I would want the guide bottoms though. But then again I have never hunted in AK before.

2rocky

WKR
I have the Chugach set and I would take it to AK if I went. Buy it in your regular size, the cut is generous to account for that.

Pit Zips for Venting off sweaty condensation. It is a good wind stopper.

OP
J

jcampton

FNG
I think i've made up my mind. Gonna pull the trigger on a set of Chugach rain gear for my Ak trip. Medium pants will work but not sure if I should go medium or large on the jacket. I'd like to get a couple layers of merino and my spindrift underneath if necessary. Next decision is camo or solid? What do you guys think? Thanks for all in info.

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Medium in the other Kuiu jackets but did get the Chugach in Large to allow it to layer overtop. I actually ordered both the M & L to compare and opted for the L. Wore my Chugach gear this past season in the Yukon and was quite happy with it. Only issue was sticking my trekking pole through the pant leg lol but I got it patched and it is fine. I agree that rain gear used as a primary layer would be too toasty even with zippered vents during warmer (non raining or snowing) weather.

bandit1

FNG
I had a medium chugach jacket and sold it because it was just a bit too tight when I had layers on. It was perfect without layers. Bought a large and am happy with it. It's loose when worn without layers but really nice with layers. My base layers are all mediums and attack pants are 34s. 5'9" 175.

Daniel_M

WKR
I'll have to agree to disagree but I used my Kuiu chugach exclusively on this years float hunt. 14 days on the river and for anyone who knows about the weather we had in alaska this past fall, it sucked big time. Rain, more rain, flood stage water, more rain and high winds. My chugach gear was a year old at the time so I washed and revived them. They were awesome to say the least.

They did exactly as I wanted- blocked the elements. I layered up for warmth. Fleece pants, Simms waders/boots. Poly tops/bottoms, Sitka vest/jacket.

My only issue was tearing a quarter sized hole in the leg while packing a moose through deadfall, it wasn't the most enjoyable.

Camo is a subjective question. I've yet to find an animal in Alaska that cares about color, it's just coincidence the gear I like comes in camo. I will say the Chugach does stain with gear, so the vias seems to blend the dirt well.

Last edited:
Utah Transplant (after ~20 years in Colorado)
If you're 5'10" / 160lbs, I'd probably lean toward a large at least in the jacket! I prefer the Chugach in a medium, and I'm 5'9" / 150lbs right now, but I always like to downsize on my rain gear. Bulky rain gear tends to be much more noisy than a sleek fitting rain gear, from my experience. I would not wear the Chugach as my daily outer shell, unless the elements were baring down on you all day long. BTW - I do prefer the Guide Jacket in a large, but the sleeves are slightly long for me. Good luck in AK.... I miss that place!