KUIU Chugach rain jacket

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone here have the latest version of this jacket? I am interested in one but am concerned about the sizing(as seems to be a bit of an issue with KUIU clothing). I want to be able to layer underneath it. I want some opinions from users of this jacket and some idea on how it fits with some first hand experience to back it up. My latest Westcomb shell is XL but is to tight to layer much underneath for most later season outings. I most certainly do not want to run into this issue if I buy another new shell from KUIU.

I normally wear a XL in most shells and some say you need to go up a size in KUIU to get a proper fit, some say more. Am I going to run into the same issue with an XXL if they fit like an XL? What is the truth? I don't want to post over at KUIU as it seems when negative comments are made towards KUIU they get removed and I cant seem to find a "real" solid answer.

Thanks!

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you on the hesitancy to post anything other than praise and adoration over on the DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Kuiu) for their Supreme Leader Kim Jung Hairston. Great products, but the devout followers can be hostile.

I hear you on the hesitancy to post anything other than praise and adoration over on the DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Kuiu) for their Supreme Leader Kim Jung Hairston. Great products, but the devout followers can be hostile.

You have been reported. Cease and desist immediately.

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
My bad. :)

Not trying to upset the apple cart, just agree with the OP that this is probably a better venue to get a satisfactory answer (even though I didn't help answer his question in the least).

My bad. :)

Not trying to upset the apple cart, just agree with the OP that this is probably a better venue to get a satisfactory answer (even though I didn't help answer his question in the least).

I'm actually very interested in the answer myself. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Chugach Rain Jacket. It's just such a big pile of cash.

TXCO

WKR
I have several items. Everything is an athletic fit and runs smaller than most clothes youll buy off the rack at a cabelas or such. Similar to under armour. If youre big bellied or big shouldered you may want to go up a size. You can always buy two sizes and send one back for $ 7-10 shipping which still pits you way ahead of sitka for total price. Disclosure- i wear medium everything and i think it will just come down to your particular body size. It may be safest to order a bigger rain jacket as itll always be an outer layer

I believe the first run last fall with the new manufacturer ran bad/ small on the bigger sizes but i havent heard complaints on recent shipments.

AndyB

WKR
42 chest, 5'8 175. I have had the large Chugach over a large guide, spindrift and 250 woolpower base layer. Its sized to layer over other same size clothing.(Canadian made)

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
Going up one size from your regular should work for you. If you have any doubt take your measurements and look on Kuiu's sizing shart. The Chugach set is good stuff, I think you will like it.

I have kinda noticed the same thing here on Rokslide with respect to Aron Snyder and Kifaru.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ethan, I don't know if that's a cheap shot or what. Rokslide has members that don't like Kifaru and we don't attack them! Aron asked Kurt from Stone Glacier and many of the pro staffers from Mystery Ranch to join and answer questions. Darin and I have talked to Seek Outside about getting a tent to review. Yes we are Kifaru heavy, but I haven't seen that stop anyone from asking question about every other product for the backcountry.

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan, I did not mean that as a cheap shot. I am sorry if it came off that way. I just thought it was funny for someone to point something like that out when the same thing happens here. Certain places are partial to certain people and things, that is just how it is, nothing wrong with it. It would just be weird for people to brag about how good Sitka is on the Kuiu forum, wouldn't it?

I am sorry though, I should not have said anything about it in the first place.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ethan, I hear what your saying. Every site is gong to be pushed and pulled in certain directions. We work are asses off to get quality back country gear reviewed and represented on Rokslide. You will see on your blog. It's not always that easy.... If you or your brother ever want to write an article for us, let me know.

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
I know you guys have worked hard for this site, it shows, and I love Rokslide. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. I just made the observation that there was a little bias, and then made the mistake of typing it. But again, there is going to be bias everywhere, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have absolutley nothing against Aron or Kifaru.

As far as the blog goes, Justin and I are not doing it anymore just so ya know. I love hunting and writing, but the two together did not work for me. I started to feel like I was going out hunting just to get a story out of it, and not to just go enjoy the hunt. I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of hunting and the outdoors by making it a job.

And sorry to crazy_davey for getting off topic on your thread.

You might wait before you buy unless you need it soon. I saw on the KUIU blog a while back, Jason is working on his lightest rain gear yet. it has be curious as well as waiting before I buy the Chugach

TXCO

WKR
That gear is going to be for a special guide series and will be a different line. Definitely wont be in the same price point but supposedly double the breathability.

Lets keep all this on track guys, no feelings were hurt.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That gear is going to be for a special guide series and will be a different line. Definitely wont be in the same price point but supposedly double the breathability.

Lets keep all this on track guys, no feelings were hurt.

Mine were:) (just joking)

Please proceed!