Kuiu Chugach vs. Sitka Stormfront Light

7mag.

WKR
I am looking at buying a set of lightweight, packable rain gear, and I found the Sitka Stormfront Light on sale for the same price as the Kuiu Chugach. The Sitka seems a little thin and flimsy, and I am worried that it won't hold up. I also don't like how it gathers at the ankle. I am a little worried about the Kuiu because my Attack pants are an athletic fit, and I want a little more room in a rain pant. What have you guys discovered?

Lawnboi

WKR
The chugach does have a little more room than the attack or guide pant.

Problem with the sitka SFL gear is no pitzips. Both fabrics are thin, but they are meant to be packable

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Had both, Kuiu rain gear is more durable. I wear a large in all my Kuiu gear and it fits fine.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I own the stormfornt regular, not the light. I live on Vancouver island. it rains 6 months of the year. It is amazing stuff.

Lorne

I believe the "Lite" was discontinued for a reason. I picked up a set of pants on closeout for quite cheap, but found that they would soak through pretty rapidly when walking through wet brush for any length of time. To be fair, I think most Paclite does the same thing, so not just a Sitka thing. When I called Sitka to return them, the guy on the phone mentioned that it wasn't an unusual problem and they were no longer making them.

To Sitka's credit, they replaced them with Dewpoint series, which is the much more expensive replacement for the old SFL. It looks exactly like Paclite, but is officially listed as "Performance" Gore-Tex. Seems more waterproof in initial testing, and the face fabric also seems more durable (for what it is). Time will tell.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Lite version again.

Yk

OP
7mag.

7mag.

WKR
What about the Downpour? I tried some on tonight, and they felt ok, but still noisy. I'm sure the noise is going to be a factor, no matter what, unless I get a soft shell, but I would like something breathable.

Rocky

WKR
7 mag, I talked to Jason from Kuiu last year because I was considering purchasing a set of Chugach. I was very impressed with how up front he was. He told me for beating the brush, like we do in Washington, he would not recommend it because the Chugach set was designed for sitting out a rain storm and not beating the brush. I dont know what type of hunting you do. I decided to stick with my real tree rub line soft shell pack able rain gear.

OP
7mag.

7mag.

WKR
Thanks for the info, Rocky. I do some high country Mule deer hunting, but mostly, I'm in the brush, hunting Blacktails.

2rocky

WKR
If you have shredded raingear in the brush before I'd be cautious about spending $400 on a set. The AK guys swear by HH impertech. not as much breathable or packable but tough. I Own a set of Chugach and they have survived 2 winters of occasional use. No problem with fitting over other jackets or pants.

Wolfmen

FNG
Today I just got new camo (verde) chug arch jacket, it is quite light in first impression. Still need more test for it.

20121213_231636.jpg

OP
7mag.

7mag.

WKR
My wife got me a pair of Chugach pants for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. I wanted Vias, but they sent Verde. I haven't worn them outside yet, but I think they will be great for packable rain gear for the high hunt. I don't think I will wear them in the brush while chasing Blacktails though.