Kuiu clothing choices for stand hunting

mcseal2

WKR
I walk to my stand in wool FL obsidian pants. What I have on top is less important, usually a Kuiu 240 hoody.

Once I’m at the last place I can do so I put on the Kuiu Superdown Pro set. I also put on a HPG serape. That keeps me warm through my rifle
hunts. I also run an older Ozonics on stand. I don’t bow hunt so I’m not overly concerned on noise. I have had coyotes within 15 yards plenty of times, so I must not be to bad.

Kuiu isn’t designed for long sits on stand. It is what I use because I have it for other hunts. Little things like a butt pad, booties or a pad to put your feet on, or mittens make a big difference. If I’m comfortable I’m alert and still. I try to be comfortable.

WCB

WKR
For base or midlayer use whatever brand you like. For all day or really cold stationary hunting where weight really isn't an issue there are WAY better options than KUIU.

Bibs go on last over everything. Get bibs with cargo pockets...not sure why a guy would have to dig in his pants pockets all the time if his bibs have pockets.

I found the Sitka incinerator bibs and fanatic jacket on sale. I must be a giant puss bc I don’t think I could handle sub freezing for a long sit without warm clothes. I have a lot of KUIU pieces that I like for active hunts but they don’t get me into a late season sit. I use the Arctic shield boot covers with hot hands in them and a muff with hot hands for my hands and I’m ready to…well, sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Peloton 97 top and bottoms and sometimes the 240 are the only Kuiu pieces I wear in a tree stand. And those are for walking in then Fanatic Hoody and heavy windproof jacket over that and bibs that I pack in. Wind resistance is key for me and Kuiu doesn't cut it for me in that department. The 240 is good at it but not great and I can get away with it as an outer layer piece until it drops under 40 degrees then the heavy stuff comes out.

OP
C
Buying all at once is brutal. But there are several sites that you can get Sitka pieces on sale over time which takes a bit of the sting out.
Totally missed all of these replies until now haha. Any recommendations on sites to keep an eye out in? I'm always keeping an eye out in black ovis and camofire

OP
C
Peloton 97 top and bottoms and sometimes the 240 are the only Kuiu pieces I wear in a tree stand. And those are for walking in then Fanatic Hoody and heavy windproof jacket over that and bibs that I pack in. Wind resistance is key for me and Kuiu doesn't cut it for me in that department. The 240 is good at it but not great and I can get away with it as an outer layer piece until it drops under 40 degrees then the heavy stuff comes out.
This has been the first comment to really resonate with me. I use merino base layers to walk in but also like to go in with pants and light jacket to protect base layer from getting hung up on the briars and what not since I hunt thick thick cover and walk in at dark without lights. Starting to think there isn't anything out there that is made for the way I hunt haha. Seems even most of kuiu's stuff won't hold up

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
This has been the first comment to really resonate with me. I use merino base layers to walk in but also like to go in with pants and light jacket to protect base layer from getting hung up on the briars and what not since I hunt thick thick cover and walk in at dark without lights. Starting to think there isn't anything out there that is made for the way I hunt haha. Seems even most of kuiu's stuff won't hold up
It sounds like I hunt the same way. Depending on the stand and how thick the cover is getting in, I will wear the First lite corrugate jacket and softshell pants walking in over my baselayers/midlayers if there's a lot of briars and branches that could snag. The 240 isn't terrible but mine does have some thread pulls and snags on it. I have a 97 that has been shredded basically from not wearing a protective layer over it. But I like that piece so much I bought two more.

j33

WKR
The Strongfleece set is great for bush bashing, spent a week chasing elk in my 210, kangaroo pouch is awesome. It doesn’t shed wind as good as the 240 nor as warm but it’s more breathable. I rarely use my 240 unless it’s blowing snow conditions, just doesn’t breath like I want it to.

Maybe the strongfleece 260 or 280 would be a good option?

OP
C
It sounds like I hunt the same way. Depending on the stand and how thick the cover is getting in, I will wear the First lite corrugate jacket and softshell pants walking in over my baselayers/midlayers if there's a lot of briars and branches that could snag. The 240 isn't terrible but mine does have some thread pulls and snags on it. I have a 97 that has been shredded basically from not wearing a protective layer over it. But I like that piece so much I bought two more.
I like First Lite but they are expensive, have a very little as far as a warranty goes and no repair service at all. Badlands, kuiu, sitka, and even pnuma, do. I just cant get behind that for a layer that I know will be taking a beating

OP
C
The Strongfleece set is great for bush bashing, spent a week chasing elk in my 210, kangaroo pouch is awesome. It doesn’t shed wind as good as the 240 nor as warm but it’s more breathable. I rarely use my 240 unless it’s blowing snow conditions, just doesn’t breath like I want it to.

Maybe the strongfleece 260 or 280 would be a good option?
That's kinda what I'm thinking only i think I'll start lighter with a strongfleece 210 top to wear over my base layer for the hike in. Not sure exactly how light it will be but I'm sure I'll find a use for it and should give me a good platform for layering.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking into updating my current clothing system with Kuiu or similar, particularly mid layer pants and shirt, along with gloves.

But I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly how to rate their models in regards to warmth for the long, motionless stands (4 to 10 hours) that I do. They seem to be primarily focused on western spot and stalk as well as still hunting. So I was wondering if anyone else who are spending their time in tree stands and on the ground have any experience with them?

I hunt a gambit of temperatures from about 60F to about 5F with most of my time spent in the 50 to 30 from October to mid November and 40 to 15 from thereon till the end of December.

I'm interested in Kuiu particularly because it sounds like it would actually fit me, I'm 5 11 and 165 lbs and am swimming in near everything. Also I tend to get overheated on my walks in and usually go in light and put on layers on stand, but im really trying to minimize this so I don't waste so much time getting dressed in stand. So a garments ability to manage heat and be quiet and durable are important to me. Not a big First Lite fan though after learning they won't repair clothing like kuiu, sitka or badlands

Super Down Ultra pants and a Super Down Ultra vest......your welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Layers will be your friend. Go in with minimal clothing and get dressed at the stand.

Potential list:
Pants: Attacks or Pros (Axis or Talus for late in the year)
Base Layer (bottoms): Peloton 97 or PRO Merino
Insulation (bottoms): ULTRA or PRO down (going to be noisy). Personally would go with PRO.
Base Layer (top): Merino 145
Mid Layer: Peloton 200, ProFleece 260, or ProFleece 280
Insulation (top): ULTRA or PRO down (going to be noisy). Personally would go with PRO.
Outer Layer (top): Peloton 240 or Axis (potentially better suited for late in the year)
Gloves: StrongFleece, Axis, Super Down Glassing Glommit

This will cover a sizable temperature range but may not be ideal for stand hunting. Noise control may very well be an issue as well especially as temperatures drop. The list does not account for rain or snow.

You can replace some pieces with other brands and save money or get better temperature range coverage.
I just got a strongfleece, kutanna, and pro pants in the mail and wow....they are LOUDDDDD! I totally see what you were saying! Hate to say it but I think I'll have to return it all and look elsewhere :/ I guess sitka is next? I just hope I can find pants and tops that fit as slim

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a strongfleece, kutanna, and pro pants in the mail and wow....they are LOUDDDDD! I totally see what you were saying! Hate to say it but I think I'll have to return it all and look elsewhere :/ I guess sitka is next? I just hope I can find pants and tops that fit as slim
Sitka fanatic is silent and made for stand hunting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
C
Sitka fanatic is silent and made for stand hunting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I always liked the fanatic just hope the fit on it compares to the kuiu. Everythjng I've heard is that sitka doesnt have as slim of a fit as kuiu

gday5

FNG
Sticking to Kuiu specifically, I've worn the Kuiu ultra jacket quite a bit stand hunting in WI. I would say that it is a solid insulating jacket and I've even worn it on the outside during an all-day wet snow in CO and the jacket didn't soak through. I've also worn this a lot early season when the mornings are chilly. I usually couple this with the First Lite Woodbury jacket when it gets below freezing.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I would get the light weight merino top & bottoms, the 97 fleece top and bottoms, the kenai jacket, and the axis hybrid top and bottoms, and a pair of sitka fantic bibs. that is what I run for whitetail in temps below 60 and I am good, just mix and match, I am not O.C.D. about my camo matching. You can get most of that on here used if you look, and are patient.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I have used their stuff for years (still hunting, bow only always wrapped up in deer), it is no issue, whatever minimal sound is there it is worth it for the leg vents they have that sitka does not have.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some Kuiu gear for elk hunting and love it. I live in Virginia and wear it all the time during bow season. It is the most comfortable clothing that I own. I have the attack and tiburon pants and both are awesome. The Tiburons are excellent for warm season as they are extremely lightweight and have zips that you can open up while walking to help keep you cool. I wear these during our elk hunting trips in the afternoons and also during bow season at home. They would be a great choice for spring turkey hunting as well. Both pants feel like you are wearing your most favorite pair of fleece pajamas, can't believe how comfortable both of these pants are in the field.
I have the Peloton 97 fleece top that is also very comfortable and lightweight. It only weighs 5 oz and I can say that it is very cool during warm weather and also pretty warm on cooler days. I added the Strongfleece 260 hoody which is a great mid-layer.
When it gets colder (30's or below) and stationary hunt in a stand, this Kuiu gear will stay at home except maybe for the 260 hoody. I have found the FL Furnace to be the best and warmest for colder weather tree stand hunting with whatever type of insulated pants/ jackets you prefer over top. Thankfully, it doesn't get too cold in Virginia or I would invest in something like the Sitka Fanatic set. For mild to cool weather, the Kuiu stuff is hard to beat while whitetail hunting out of a tree stand.

ccarter

FNG
I'll add some in-the-field experiences with Kuiu gear, which for some applications, and some of their pieces, I'm a fan of. The important thing with their stuff is understanding that it was originally designed to be ultralight early season sheep hunting gear. So a lot of it is super light and designed to dry quickly because of the level of exertion they assume you'll be putting out. So while it's nice stuff for September, much of it isn't very effective for mid to late season, especially if you're stationary in a stand.

That said, their super down pro jacket would probably be sufficient for insulation over a fleece and a base layer. It has 5 oz. of 850 fill power down. Any of their fleeces would work as a mid.

Contrary to what their specs say, I don't find the Peloton 240 to be very wind resistant. By no means would I consider it a shell layer.

The Kuiu Attacks are my favorite pants I've ever owned- they stretch and beat the brush, and they're quiet. They're medium weight, so not the perfect stand pants.

So, if you go Kuiu, make sure you're not asking too light of layers to do heavyweight layer's jobs. And in many cases, you'll probably need to size up. It's cut pretty snug in the arms and the shoulders. In short, Kuiu makes good stuff– but it's not magic. And the majority of it is made for August-the first week of October.

Hope this is more helpful than confusing.