Kuiu Clothing Selection

ArkTy15

FNG
I'm looking at finally breaking down and buying some all around, good hunting clothing. Not looking to break the bank with a full layering system but would like to get a few pieces that would work in most situations. I live in Arkansas and hunt whitetails and ducks in flooded timber mainly with some spring turkey chasing as well. Also plan on heading out to Wyoming for Antelope in 2022. I've compared First Lite and Kuiu and have decided on Kuiu. Any suggestions on a few different pieces and camo patterns would be greatly appreciated!

I have a few of the most popular pieces from Kuiu, the 240 and the Attack pants. The Attack pants are amazing, you can't go wrong with those. I bought a pair in solids as well to wear at work and plan on selling my Sitka pants. The Peloton 240 is a great piece as well. Blocks the wind really well, is quiet enough for bow hunting and is much warmer than it looks.

OMB

WKR
Kenai jacket, Strongfleece 210/260, Attack pants, Axis jacket would all be great stuff if you were starting out. I've got all the different patterns and I honestly still this Vias is best all around, but they're all perfectly fine.

Forgot about the Kenai jacket, great piece as well and quiet enough for turkey and deer

Wileym20

FNG
Attack pants and guide pants. These 2 will get you through 99%of conditions you encounter. I’m still old school and prefer the Vias pattern.

jd1006

WKR
I prefer the Kutana stretch woven pant to the Attack pant. Lighter, more durable, still the features of the attack pant. I don’t think Kuiu makes a pant as versatile as First Lite’s Corrugate Foundry. The lack of removable knee pads makes it hard to buy their pants with knee pads.

Their base merino (not pro) is the best in terms of durability and merino content. I think the peloton 97 is the most versatile layer out there. The peloton 240 is the class leader in grid fleece. I really like the vest.

I’m currently trying out their insulated options, so I can’t give an opinion on that.

The only place I look elsewhere from Kuiu on clothing is for Sitka’s merino boxers and q-zip, Darn Tough’s socks, Sitka’s soft shell, and First Lite’s corrugated Foundry pants.

Moserkr

WKR
Ill second the kutana stretch woven pants. Better in hot weather than the attacks and much more durable, also dry way faster. My attacks are more comfy with more stretch, but run warmer and have holes/tears around the bottom after just 3 years.

I prefer the merino pro base layers for more durability. I have holes in my pure merino LS shirt from bushwhacking.

Not a huge fan of many of kuiu’s jackets. I have the kutana hybrid and like it alot. Warmth/weight is great, very durable and quiet, but no hood.

I have the chugach rain gear and have honestly rarely used it. Looks good…

The super down pro base layers are super warm and great. Easily replaceable by slightly heavier and much cheaper non-kuiu options, if you are budget minded. All the zip-off base layers are awesome though.

Here’s what I’d recommend based upon personal experience:

Pants: Kutana in Ash
SS Shirts: Merino 125 in Valo, Peloton 118 in Verde
LS Shirts: Peloton 128 Zip-T in both Valo and Verde
Mid Layer: StrongFleece 260 in Valo, Peloton 97 in Verde
Outer: Hooded Kutana, Axis, or Peloton 240 based upon your individual needs (increased toughness, water resistance, wind resistance)

Run a mix of patterns up top to cover different season and terrain with a solid down below.

I’d also grab a bottom base layer of your choosing based upon how cold you run.

For upper insulation I run the down Ultra and Pro. For lower insulation I run the down Ultra. If I had to do it again, I’d run just the Pros on top and bottoms (saves money and gives a greater temperature coverage). There are other options from other vendors that are as good at lower cost to better at the same or lower cost.

Hondo

WKR
I hunt primarily in Texas but venture NW when I can. I like the Pro Pants over the Attack pants due to the knee pads but the Kutana Hybrid pants are better suited for warmer weather than both of those. The Peloton 118 Zip T and Ultra Merino 145 are both good but the 118 dries much quicker.

I prefer the Peloton 200 hoody over the superlight Peloton 97 due to durability as I often use the 200 as an outer layer but both are great midlayer pieces. The Pro Merino 200 Zip-T hoody is another great mid-layer option and dries quicker than most merino. The Peloton 240 Hoody, Vest and Beanie are some of Kuiu's best pieces.

I rarely use my Guide DCS Vests or Jackets and am considering replacing them with the Axis Hybrid. I use other insulated gear so can only comment than I have been considering a Kenai hooded jacket based on others reviews. I use other rain gear as well.

As far as camo patterns, I've used Vias, Verde 2.0, Valo as well as solids. I tend to view camo patterns like I do fishing lures in that they are much more effective at suckering us consumers than the fish & game. If you got busted wearing a camo pattern, you never get the opportunity to do a do-over with a different pattern in the exact same conditions to see if it would make any difference at all and chances are it was movement or scent than got you busted in the first place.. I suppose the original Vias is my favorite overall pattern but If I had to start over again with Kuiu gear I would just get solids and wear a leafy suit over them for archery and save a lot of money and storage space.

Haven't seen a recommendation for the Talus Hybrid pants yet. The fit is a little snug(i think i gained a few pounds of body fat during covid) but not hateful. I will be losing some weight here so they'll fit better soon

Love love love these pants. They have waterproof panels in the bottom of the pant and in the butt. Micro-fleece lining. If you get too hot, just open the hip zips and you'll cool off nicely.

I am partially torn on the knee pads but I feel the benefits of the knee pads will outweight the negatives..
The negative being that the pants were a bit stiff. BUT the kneepads came in much handier than I realized and learned to love them

Dominic06

FNG
I prefer the Kutana stretch woven pant to the Attack pant. Lighter, more durable, still the features of the attack pant. I don’t think Kuiu makes a pant as versatile as First Lite’s Corrugate Foundry. The lack of removable knee pads makes it hard to buy their pants with knee pads.

Their base merino (not pro) is the best in terms of durability and merino content. I think the peloton 97 is the most versatile layer out there. The peloton 240 is the class leader in grid fleece. I really like the vest.

I’m currently trying out their insulated options, so I can’t give an opinion on that.

The only place I look elsewhere from Kuiu on clothing is for Sitka’s merino boxers and q-zip, Darn Tough’s socks, Sitka’s soft shell, and First Lite’s corrugated Foundry pants.

I agree, I have been using the Kuiu Kutana pants and they are amazing, I live in north Cali and I have been using them to hunt black tail this season (100 degrees plus) and they are holding up fantastic. I have beat the crap out of them by going down insanely steep mountains sliding down rocks and brush and haven’t seen a single tear, or popped seam whatsoever. I have even used them in rain, and I am surprised by the water resistant feature. Super light, supper quiet. Extremely satisfied with the pants. GET SOME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the attack and kutana pants. I prefer the kutana for most of my hunting, but the attack are a bit warmer. If I could have one I'd go Kutana and some layer for underneath when it gets cold.

I also have the short sleeve merino t-shirt and the long sleeve with hood. I love them both and use the short sleeve all the time. But if I could only have one I'd take the long sleeve with hood.