Kuiu Clothing System for Late September Colorado

Lexus423

FNG
Can someone help me navigate the endless options for Kuiu clothing options. Looking for base layers and midweight layers, can seem to determine which of the 50 Merino/Merino/Poly mixes would work best since I'm sure I'll have a wide range of temps in late September. Is 125 too light? 145 too heavy for a base? Which midweight would be best?

Depending on weather forecasts I run either the attacks (colder weather) or Katana (warmer) and the lightest weight base layer bottoms. Upper body starts with a lightweight shot sleeve then the lightest weight merino long sleeve with a strong fleece hoody as my primary outer layer.

I also always carry a puffy and rain jacket as additional layers in my pack. If the weather forecast was calling for colder/wetter weather I would change out the strong fleece hoody for an axis hybrid jacket and heavier weight merino long sleeve. This set up generally gets me through mid Oct from Colorado and further north and what I was using in February for off range Oryx in NM

j33

WKR
For base go with 125 Merino, short sleeve vs long sleeve is up to you, I run hot so prefer shorts sleeve

Mid layer options are endless:
-Peloton 97 is the super lightweight and breathable layer but no wind protection or durability
-Peloton 240: Full zip, almost can act as an outerlayer. Really good wind proof on it, not too durable nor has any DWR.
-Strongfleece 220/200 are better options in brush and have some DWR. Some different pocket designs on these.

Varies depending on the anticipated temperature range as well as what and where I am hunting.

Legs
  • Pants: Kutana or Attack/Pro
  • Baselayer: Pro Merino 210 (rarely used and only use it when stationary)
  • Shirt: 125 Merino SS
  • Shirt Peloton 118 LS
  • Midlayer: StrongFleece 260
  • Jacket: Kutana or Peloton 240 (depends on type of terrain/vegatation)
Insulation
  • Kuiu Super Down ULTRA jacket
  • Kuiu Super Down ULTRA bottoms
Rain Gear
  • Chugach top and bottom

prm

WKR
In my opinion you can’t really have too light of a base layer. Its job is to move moisture and keep your skin dry.
What elevation are you hunting? It could be warm or it could be rather cold and snowy in late September.
My personal well proven layering is a silkweight capilene baselayer, Peleton 240, Arc’teryx Atom light puffy, then a Kifaru LPP heavy insulation. I also pack a light rain jacket. That will cover everything. For this year, I am trying a Kutana Hybrid in place of the Arc’teryx and an Ultra Merino 125 base layer.