KUIU DCS Guide Jacket vs Sitka Jetstream Jacket

I have both.

Jetstream is by far a better jacket for hunting and outdoors. Pretty darn waterproof in light rains, wind proof with Gore, excellent pocket layout, perfect hood and pit zips. Very durable. Had mine 3+ years now and expect to use it over a decade or more. With layering, I use it under almost all conditions. Buy once cry once.

The Kuiu Guide jacket is more like a sweatshirt cut into a really nice jacket. It’s a light use casual jacket for me.

I sized up in both. I think the Kuiu runs smallest per size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The kuiu guide doesn’t do much other than offer some dwr protection but it does not stop wind. The kuiu axis is a better comparison to the Jetstream and I feel it outperforms the Jetstream by a long shot in breathability and is truly waterproof in the hood, shoulders and outer/top of arms. So far it’s stopping wind as well or at least I haven’t felt wind through it yet. Both nice jackets I just feel the axis does everything that the Jetstream can and adds some features and better function

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
No, the Jet Stream is better in all but 2 categorys.
Price & fit (for me anyway)
I have a DCS Guide & it's not the best at anything. I treat the DWR twice a year & it will give me a couple of hours in a light rain. It will hold out a light breeze but a strong wind will cut right thru. It's not very warm.
I had to go 2X on the Jet Stream to get it over my shoulders & around my chest, then the sleeves and torso were way too long. I sized up one for the DCS, The sleeves are still long but tolerable.
Luckily I got the DCS in a solid color. It serves as my everyday jacket in mild weather. I ended up going with another brand for hunting.

Another jetstream fan here. Probably use it more than any other jacket for hunting.

Fit on the kuiu is odd. Somewhat boxy. Less water resistant and doesn’t block wind as well. I wear mine for casual mild weather but it hasn’t been hunting in a while.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
For me the kuiu guide leaks wind like a sieve and is just not warm enough to warrant the weight unless your day hunting or truck hunting or hunting from a base camp.

I’ll take the jetstream all day over the kuiu guide. It’s strange to me that every year the kuiu guide out sales all of their products. Although the axis softshell might take that honor this year.

The jetstream and the guide are the same weight but the jetstream has a lot better performance. The only downside is price and breath ability but the jetstream has pit zips that help dump heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napperm4

WKR
Skip the guide and look at the axis hybrid. I can see it replacing the guide jacket in Kuiu’s line up.

It has waterproof breathable panels on the hood chest and arms along with the wind stopper layer through the rest. It’s definitely 3x the jacket the guide dcs is.

One caution is to size up on the axis as the arm seams make it a tight fit on broad shoulders.

Personally i say kuiu.. i love my guide jacket. I didnt need to size up like every one says. I wear a base layer and the guide while on the move with the vents open. If they are closed i get too hott. Once im at my glassing location. I throw on the puffy under the guide and Im good for several hours. Sitka gear isnt any better in my opinion and is much more expensive. Kuiu gear is a system and designed to be used as such. If you constantly have to size up your gear. Then you might be lying to your self about your actual size! My only downfall with the guide jacket is the cuff links are a little tight.
I wear a medium jack and im 5"8 165lbs 32in waist.

Personally i say kuiu.. i love my guide jacket. I didnt need to size up like every one says. I wear a base layer and the guide while on the move with the vents open. If they are closed i get too hott. Once im at my glassing location. I throw on the puffy under the guide and Im good for several hours. Sitka gear isnt any better in my opinion and is much more expensive. Kuiu gear is a system and designed to be used as such. If you constantly have to size up your gear. Then you might be lying to your self about your actual size! My only downfall with the guide jacket is the cuff links are a little tight.
I wear a medium jack and im 5"8 165lbs 32in waist.
No disrespect to your opinion, but have you tried and compared the Kuiu guide to the Jetstream in field conditions of wind and rain?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I personally think sitka is too expensive. I have a hard time paying more for a jacket then I do for my monthly car payment! Is it a great jacket yes! Just not worth the extra cash in my eyes.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Skip the guide and look at the axis hybrid. I can see it replacing the guide jacket in Kuiu’s line up.

It has waterproof breathable panels on the hood chest and arms along with the wind stopper layer through the rest. It’s definitely 3x the jacket the guide dcs is.

One caution is to size up on the axis as the arm seams make it a tight fit on broad shoulders.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it only windproof in the waterproof areas? Their website states they have a wind RESISTANT bonding technology.

Napperm4

WKR
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it only windproof in the waterproof areas? Their website states they have a wind RESISTANT bonding technology.

I’m wearing mine right now in 80 km/h winds (southern Alberta Canada, many many wind records.) as we speak out ice fishing. Can’t feel a breath of wind through it.

The fleece bonding on the website is the same that is in the peloton 240 and the gloves. It’s a breathable membrane but I’ve work it in 65 mph winds and haven’t felt a breath through it. Even with the pockets zipped open the fleece stops the wind from getting through.

I’m pretty sure any membrane that is wind proof vs wind resistant is water proof so technically yes. Wind resistance wise I’ve had the peloton 240 and the axis in chinook wind storms regularly and I’d call it wind proof. I assume it’s wind resistant on the site because at some point it may let wind through where a water proof membrane is microporous enough that wind will never penetrate.

I got a jetstream jacket on here for $190. It outperforms the guide in my opinion. Wind was the major factoring to me choosing the jetstream over the guide. I used the guide for two years, before upgrading to jetstream. I've now had the jetstream for about 4 years. The reviews on the axis are intriguing though.

What kind of car do you drive?
Not a $60k truck if that what your getting at.
Im guessing y'alls credit card payments are also more then my car payment!
I think people get too caught up in having the most expensive and newest thing. It shows how hardcore of a hunter you are doesnt it?

Lumpy

FNG
Never tried the jet stream but sounds like almost everyone loves it...I have the guide and the axis and love them both, haven't felt the need to switch or leave them.

Fatcamp

WKR
Not a $60k truck if that what your getting at.
Im guessing y'alls credit card payments are also more then my car payment!
I think people get too caught up in having the most expensive and newest thing. It shows how hardcore of a hunter you are doesnt it?

A couple hundred dollars for a coat that will keep you warm and safe doesn't seem excessive to me, and I'm cheap. Last Fall we ended up in a bunch of layers to stay warm on a cold hunt. That sucks.

Modern clothing has its place.