Kuiu frame or kifaru bikini?

Just getting some opinions, what would you go with? A kuiu icon pro tall frame/suspension or kifaru bikini? Both are 26" frame height.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Either will work, but the Kifaru will likely last longer and be more durable. I've hauled out elk with my Kuiu Icon no problem. I have not yet hauled an elk out on my Kifaru frame. If you're hauling an animal out short distances or infrequently (every 5yrs), you'll probably be fine saving some money and getting a Kuiu. If you kill animals annually or multiples per year, it would be worth the investment to go with Kifaru.

One of the main reasons I changed to Kifaru, was because the frame began squeaking really bad. I would say Kifaru is an upgrade to Kuiu no matter the frame (duplex/bikini). If you can afford it, go with Kifaru. Hope this helps.

I returned a Kuiu icon pro and ultra pack within days of having each, I would not recommend them at all.

I have not had the bikini frame, but the duplex is awesome, I just upgraded to the new UL duplex.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
not sure I understand your comment. If i go with kifaru I am a hunter, If I go with Kuiiu I am a hiker?
The kifaru is a superior load hauler, so if you plan on hauling heavy loads you're better off with a kifaru. If you don't kill often so come out light, I'm sure a kuiu would be fine, hence bow hiker.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a bunch of reviews on kifaru and kuiu. Here's a decent thread:
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=598001

Here's another:
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32010

Luke Moffat also did a review of the icon on Rokslide.com I believe.

If you do a little searching you will soon see that kifaru doesn't have the frequency of negative reports and breakage as kuiu does. Also kuiu isn't known to have a stellar warranty policy which kifaru is renowned for.

Another side advantage is kifaru is a Rokslide sponsor and kuiu is not and it's always good to support the sponsors.

To answer your question, I have not used a kuiu and probably wouldn't risk my backcountry trips to a pack prone to failure, I do own a gen 2 duplex and the newest version and have zero complaints up to 100+ lbs.

I have used both. Quick answer is go with Kifaru, their frames are the best production pack frame in the business, that I have tried, which is more than I care to admit.

Where the waters get muddy is price. The Kuiu Icon Pro frame and suspension is a solid option for the money. It will handle the weight you put in it and fairly comfortably from my experience. The two reasons I sold the Icon pro are: torso adjustment and hipbelt, arguably the two most important aspects of a packs suspension.

First, the connection between the load lifter strap and the shoulder strap is a fixed point. This means that in order to have that point over your collar bone the shoulder strap needs to be moved up toward the top of the frame. Kuiu says that their frame will fit someone with a 22 inch torso for the tall frame (26"), I have a 21 inch torso and i maxed out the adjustment and that point was still not over my collar bone, and when heavy weight was added it was even worse from the pack sagging. The "T" lock thingy that they use is a waste in my opinion, if they just removed it and added more velcro the adjustment would be very similar to stone glacier which also uses a fixed point on the shoulder strap, if I'm not mistaken.

The reason I didn't like the hipbelt is the plastic stiffener that runs the entire length of the belt. This is a personal preference thing, but the belt was just ok for me at even moderate weights.

So, like I said, kuiu is a pretty good pack for the money, and when compared to similarily priced packs, it is a step above in terms of comfort and the packs themselves are laid out pretty well, I had a 1850 and 3200. All that being said, if you can find a good price on a used kifaru frame and bag, which is not that difficult these days, you will be more than happy.

It should be pointed out that all of the above, is just my observations and experience based on my body type, your experience may be different. Try them both and see which one you like.

just curious, those of you just saying kifaru. have you ever really used both?

Yes, I tried the icon pro 3200 and the ultra 3000, I sent the icon pro back to Kuiu after a short day hike with it loaded with general gear, sent then ultra back about about 30 mins on a treadmill with the pack loaded.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Try them both... Only you can decide what's gonna be the best fit. I have the Icon Pro 1850 and a Ultra 6000 bag.. I put 80lbs of sand for my daily walks and I've also had 120lbs as well. I've had no problems with the comfort of this pack.