KUIU gaiters or wait for SG?

Looking at getting my first pair of gaiters and like the specs of the KUIU Yukon but the Stone Glacier gaiters also have my interest. I use gear from both companies and don't have any brand loyalty in respect to this purchase, I just don't have any experience with any gaiters.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm also not brand loyal and will purchase what I feel is the best product out there; that led me to the Kuiu Yukon gaiter. Two years of hard use and I don't think it could be improved on very much. Sturdy, but light and unlike several other gaiters, pretty darn quiet. Similar to the OR Croc, but quieter and has a button snap vs velcro- they velcro on mine would always eventually fail (but they (OR) do stand behind their product).

Price is a push between the two.

I haven't seen the SG ones yet, but likely they aren't too shabby either :)

rm06

WKR
I'm a sucker for the better mousetrap. But I'll agree with @carsonkeys here, OR and done. I wear mine infrequently but they're nice to have without a doubt

Vandy321

WKR
Had ORs since 2012 and Yukons for 2+ years...

Yukon's all day. Both are 100% waterproof, Yukon fit and secure better, are more puncture proof and they are far less noisy, and they come in earth tones, not solid black.

Big Ern

WKR
I have OR and haven’t tried anything else since the OR’s are still going strong after 5 years of limited use.

Kostrize

WKR
I’ve had both OR and Yukon. They’re both excellent but would go with the Yukon for noise, color options, and fabric stiffness/stretch. Hard for me to see how the SG could improve on their design

I’ve used Yukon gaiters for years and they’ve always worked great. Never had any complaints. They seem to breathe pretty well for water proof material. They’re also durable and function well putting on and staying on. I’ve hiked miles in them in snow, wet conditions and have forgot I had them on. Pretty comfortable.

I’m sure the stone glacier gaiters will be top notch as well though

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Of your two, I'd wait for SG. Or you can just get a set of OR Crocs and be done. IMO Gore-Tex is just a better product across the board from rain gear to gaiters for waterproof characteristics. Also, I prefer solid color gaiters. OR is not just black, they have an earth tone available.

Last edited:
Been using the same pair of Yukon gaiters since September 2016, and they've held up to all of the rain and snow that the PNW mountains can throw at them. They pull double duty for me during duck season in the fields too.

Haven't ever reapplied DWR.

+1 Yukon

mlgc20

WKR
Had ORs since 2012 and Yukons for 2+ years...

Yukon's all day. Both are 100% waterproof, Yukon fit and secure better, are more puncture proof and they are far less noisy, and they come in earth tones, not solid black.
Same here. I used the OR Crocs for years. But, once I got the Yukons, the Crocs haven't had much use. Nothing wrong with the Crocs though. Just like the stretch/fit of the Yukons better.

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been using the Kuiu for 4 years now. They have been fantastic. Take a look at T&K hunting gaiters. They look very robust.

sr80

WKR
I like SG stuff dont get me wrong, but I dont understand all the hype for their new gaiters that are coming out. With so many companies offering good gaiters how can these new ones be that much better??