KUIU gaiters or wait for SG?

700MtnMan

FNG
Yukons here, I've ran them for several years, they are tough and have always performed very well. After about 3 years of use I broke the snaps, emailed Kuiu and they sent me a brand new pair.

I just returned my Yukon gaiters and kept the SG. I prefer my gaiter to be as tight to my leg as i can get and have a good velcro seal also. The Yukons and Sitka gaiters were just too baggy and i have big calfs. The SG gaiters just fit me better and had less excess material to rub together while walking. I haven't tested in the field yet, the Sg gaiters is while ill be wearing for two weeks this year.

I just returned my Yukon gaiters and kept the SG. I prefer my gaiter to be as tight to my leg as i can get and have a good velcro seal also. The Yukons and Sitka gaiters were just too baggy and i have big calfs. The SG gaiters just fit me better and had less excess material to rub together while walking. I haven't tested in the field yet, the Sg gaiters is while ill be wearing for two weeks this year.
I am just returning the Large SG due to not fitting me well around the calf. I thought the XL Yukon had more room in that area. I really wanted the SG to work, even tried them again after reading this.

idcuda

WKR
Anyone tried the hillsound gaiters? I'm getting some just to try a zippered gaiter. Velcro closures are great until you want to remove your gaiters (loud!) in the field for some reason.

Otherwise, I've used several gaiter brands and they've all been about identical in performance - particularly anything goretex. Interestingly, the only ones I've ever seen really shredded we're my buddy's Yukons, but I think it was because he wore them while riding his motorcycle a lot.

Last edited:

Spoonman

WKR
My Yukons have been good for a few years now but it’s getting time to replace them. I have a pair of OR’s and I don’t like them as much as my Yukons. Never owned the SG’s . I think either way you go you’ll be fine

Jethro

WKR
What's the latest update on the Yukon vs SG gaiter?
Long time Yukon wearer and my are worn out. I got the SG this past Summer and have been wearing them all season. CO rifle and all hunting/hiking here in PA. I do not care for the SG and will have new Yukons for next season. The material is tough and water proof, stitching is very good. But I can't keep any of the strap tags secured. Calf strap always dangling, not a big deal.

But the strap that pulls the Dyneema tight won't stayed stowed and that is a problem. Those straps are then dragging on the ground and are fraying. It allows the buckle to loosen and the Dyneema rope bottom strap loosens. Had 1/2" snow the other morning. First I developed snow balls on the black straps dragging on ground. Then the Dyneema rope snowball developed under my foot.

When I'm lucky enough to find the Yukon in the color I want, in the size I need, I'm getting another pair. I think they're better. Just my opinion.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone tried the hillsound gaiters? I'm getting some just to try a zippered gaiter. Velcro closures are great until you want to remove your gaiters (loud!) in the field for some reason.
@idcuda did you end up getting those Hillsound gaiters? What's your impression?

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add Kuiu to the good list. Recently had some stitching come out of the lower portion of one gaiter. Made a call, sent a photo and in 3 days had a new pair delivered!

Pretty happy with that interaction!
I've drank the "Kuiu"-Aid myself. And I like it! Great products with real customer service.

UncleBone

WKR
Question for guys who have the kuiu, can you tell me where those are made? I am in the market for some gaiters this year, and so far, the ORs, kennetreks, and a few others I have seen are chinese. Only USA made pair I have found is SG. Would like to see if there are any other options, after reading Jethros review.

Question for guys who have the kuiu, can you tell me where those are made? I am in the market for some gaiters this year, and so far, the ORs, kennetreks, and a few others I have seen are chinese. Only USA made pair I have found is SG. Would like to see if there are any other options, after reading Jethros review.
Have you actually verified the SG are USA?
Not everything they make is US
The sleeping bags for one. Not sure on the clothes, but they are a little miss leading in there branding.

OP
W
KUIU Yukon are made in Indonesia. All my SG stuff that is made in the USA has a made in the USA tag on it but the SG gaiters don't. Can't confirm where they're made at the moment.

UncleBone

WKR
Yes, their packs, pack accessories and gaiters are made in the USA. I returned some of the merino when I saw it was chinese. Im not paying 100+ dollars for a chinese shirt.