Kuiu Gaiters: Yukon vs Kutana

F D

FNG
Any thoughts on which of these to buy? I already have the shorter scree gaiters from Kuiu and I love them, but I need a full length pair for winter.

Quiet and weather-proofness are top priorities. They will rarely be used in snow - mostly NW winter bushwhacking.

Thanks for any feedback.

Just talked to KUIU at the DSC a couple weekends ago. I went with the Kutanas. But I won't be using to walk through a bunch of heavy brush and stuff. If you need that, then they suggest the Yukon.

Best thing to do is call and talk to them about it. Plus they have a 15% going right now.

Sizing is a little different. Kutana are more snug around the ankle/calf. Keep that in mine when it comes to how many layers you plan to have underneath

I have both of them and either would be suitable, hunting in pnw as well. Kutana a little lighter and slimmer fitting.

Just got my Kutanas and Kenetreks in the last couple days. Guess I better try them on and make sure how they fit. Willfry's post above has me worried about the Kutanas now. Guy from KUIU just asked me what size boot.

I have both and agree with others that the Kutana's are a slimmer fit and more compact overall. I'd also say they are slightly noisier and definitely less breathable. For me they are my choice for early season backpacking stuff where weight is a concern and I prefer the Yukons for anything else.

ChrisAU

WKR
I used Kutana's on my last elk hunt and they did great. We packed out in 7-8" of snow and busted plenty of brush during the hunt, they shrugged everything off.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lot of Kuiu stuff and am generally a big fan. Finally bit the bullet and bought some of their Yukon gaiters. I don't think they're good gear because of the plastic buckle. I busted both buckles in falls over the course of an 11 day sheep hunt in the Brooks. Will probably go back to my noisy OR gaiters for the next trip.

i'm due for some more full size gaiters too, have had the yukons the past 4-5yrs, and it's tough to not buy them again, just based on how good they were....

on the other hand, I bought the kutana storm shell set, and i'm really impressed with it. that material seems as tough as the Yukon material even being a little lighter.

can't go wrong with Yukon, I beat mine down and they just started wearing out this past year.... smart money is on Yukon..... I really want to see how tough the kutanas are after wearing the rain suit this fall.

i'm guessing I will get the kutana gaiters this year, I just don't think it's giving up much toughness. I expect the rain gear to last as long as my Yukon has.

tdot

WKR
I've been pretty happy with my Yukons, 4 or 5 seasons on them.

I really like that they stretch. It ends up with an extremely tight seal on the boot, and I've gained confidence in using them in creek crossings of roughly 6"-10" of depth with no leaks.

Can the Kutana seal as tight? Do they stretch and move as well as the Yukon's.

The only reason I'm considering a switch is to lose 4 ounces off my feet.

I used the Kutana for the first time this weekend. They preformed well. Kept pants dry and stayed in place good. They are a bit tight around the boot at the ankle. I could barely get them fastened with the velcro down at the lace clip on the front of the gaiter. Other than that I really like them.

tdot

WKR
I ended up buying the Kutana last summer. I've used them exclusively since then. Haven't found a reason to switch back. They are super tight on the boot, which is a pain to put on/off, and the toe lace hook is a pain to get off. But once they're on, they've been solid.

Are the Yukon gaiters tough enough for bush bashing through thick scrub?
yeah, they survived a few seasons on the coast for me, so i assume they will hold up to any brush. the kutana have been great too, and have held up to the coastal brush really well.

the peax gaiter i will say is tougher than both, but also heavier/more substantial, but i think they will take the place of the yukon, and i will use the peax and kutana for any time moisture is in the mix, which is pretty much always around here

I have a lot of Kuiu stuff and am generally a big fan. Finally bit the bullet and bought some of their Yukon gaiters. I don't think they're good gear because of the plastic buckle. I busted both buckles in falls over the course of an 11 day sheep hunt in the Brooks. Will probably go back to my noisy OR gaiters for the next trip.
the kutana doesn't have that problem, the peax equipment gaiters don't either.