KUIU Kutana Gale Force System Review **Updated 3/28/21**

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Waterproof, Windproof, Insulated

Tested and proven in the most severe weather conditions, Kutana Gale Force is what you need when getting cold and wet are not an option. It’s the cold weather hunting gear for harsh environments that others wouldn’t even consider hunting in. It’s waterproof, windproof, and insulated to keep you safe and protected.

This system just showed up at the house. First impressions are that it seems very durable, warm, but stiff. The design and build of the gear seems like they could handle a ton of abuse and extreme weather conditions. I am excited to put them to the test because they seem pretty awesome. I plan to test this system on several Late season hunts from Idaho, to Montana, to South Dakota, to Colorado, to Wyoming. The hopes is to have completely miserable conditions to try it out in. Rain, snow, wind and everything in between. One plus I already see, especially on a late season hunt is the fact that it is 100% waterproof and insulated. To me this means you don't have to carry a puffy and a rain shell you could just take this one piece (on a late season hunt) A side note if you choose to order them the jacket and bibs run big.

What questions, thoughts, concerns, or ideas do you have for the test?

What questions do you have about the system?

I'll do my best to answer what I can and make a great review for everyone.

**Update 3/28/21** Kuiu Kutana Gale Force System Review

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
Will be interested to hear your thoughts after extreme use. Are they insulated enough for sitting in extreme temps, or do you think this more for mobile extreme wear?

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will be interested to hear your thoughts after extreme use. Are they insulated enough for sitting in extreme temps, or do you think this more for mobile extreme wear?
I think they are insulated enough for that type of use, especially if you put some "hot hands" close to your core and by your legs. They do not have multiple layers in the seat or on the knees though so some type of seat cushion would be recommended.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
glad you’re taking this review on for us Zach. I saw these at expo, and was hoping to send someone to Kodiak island with them, but Covid canceled all the bear hunts the spring. Thanks for stepping up. Looking forward to your honest opinions.

Seems like some burly stuff, it's just heavy. I'm not sure it makes sense to me in backpacking or active day mountain hunts unless major travel is by snow machine or horse.

Curious how warmth compares to something like the kelvin WS down hoody.

Do you think the jacket and bibs run big because your supposed to run kuiu's full layering system under them? Or are they big with everything already on under them?

ZuluBravo

WKR
Recently got the Gale Force set as well. Couple thoughts:

Pros:
-Very warm, wind proof, couldn’t imagine getting cold in this. Especially with any layer underneath
-Waterproof
-Nice hood, adjustable. Meant to fit over a helmet but not to bulky without one
-The cuffs are nice and the sleeves aren’t too bulky
-Zippers seem very burly and oversized for use with gloves
-Face fabric seems very durable. Won’t pick up burs
-Pit zips and pant side zips are nice for dumping heat. Still wouldn’t use this for any hunt that involves significant exertion

Cons:
-No Insulated liner in the front hand pockets
-Way too loud for bow hunting IMHO
-I realize the jacket is parka length but it is a bit long
-Had to size up in the pants for enough room in the thighs (5’10” 185lbs 33” waist athletic build and I have large pants / large top)

ZuluBravo

WKR
@Zach Herold I’m glad you started this thread. I don’t want to highjack your thread but thought I’d add a bit on this system to hopefully help others decide if the Gale Force set is right for them. When I went to purchase the Gale Force set there was little to no info out there. Just Kuiu’s video and a few random Instagram posts.

I had the set out hunting whitetail today. It was 35 degrees with a 5-8 mph wind and raining. I only wore a Smartwool 150 top and bottom under the Jacket and Bibs. I stayed bone dry and warm throughout the sit. The Jacket and Bibs noticeably stopped the wind. The pit zips really helped dump heat on the walk in. The Jacket and Bibs were quite loud though. I’m hunting with a trad bow so this would probably be a deal breaker if it wasn’t raining. They definitely wouldn’t be ideal on any sort of stalk. I do wish there was some Sherpa fleece or something similar in the hand pockets. All in all I’m impressed with the set and it definitely has its place. I think this system would shine on a late season, mostly stationary, gun hunt. Or maybe even in the duck blind! Hope this helps anyone out that is considering this system. 84649FB0-43EE-4FEA-B04B-0C73BBC32BE2.jpeg

C086F493-A490-43A5-A1B1-ACBE09386F79.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Zach Herold I’m glad you started this thread. I don’t want to highjack your thread but thought I’d add a bit on this system to hopefully help others decide if the Gale Force set is right for them. When I went to purchase the Gale Force set there was little to no info out there. Just Kuiu’s video and a few random Instagram posts.

I had the set out hunting whitetail today. It was 35 degrees with a 5-8 mph wind and raining. I only wore a Smartwool 150 top and bottom under the Jacket and Bibs. I stayed bone dry and warm throughout the sit. The Jacket and Bibs noticeably stopped the wind. The pit zips really helped dump heat on the walk in. The Jacket and Bibs were quite loud though. I’m hunting with a trad bow so this would probably be a deal breaker if it wasn’t raining. They definitely wouldn’t be ideal on any sort of stalk. I do wish there was some Sherpa fleece or something similar in the hand pockets. All in all I’m impressed with the set and it definitely has its place. I think this system would shine on a late season, mostly stationary, gun hunt. Or maybe even in the duck blind! Hope this helps anyone out that is considering this system. View attachment 243122

View attachment 243123
Hell yeah thanks for the input. I couldn't agree more on it being LOUD and the pockets needing a liner. I hope you hammer a good buck.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I had the set out hunting whitetail today. It was 35 degrees with a 5-8 mph wind and raining. I only wore a Smartwool 150 top and bottom under the Jacket and Bibs. I stayed bone dry and warm throughout the sit. The Jacket and Bibs noticeably stopped the wind. The pit zips really helped dump heat on the walk in. The Jacket and Bibs were quite loud though. I’m hunting with a trad bow so this would probably be a deal breaker if it wasn’t raining. They definitely wouldn’t be ideal on any sort of stalk. I do wish there was some Sherpa fleece or something similar in the hand pockets. All in all I’m impressed with the set and it definitely has its place. I think this system would shine on a late season, mostly stationary, gun hunt. Or maybe even in the duck blind! Hope this helps anyone out that is considering this system. View attachment 243122

View attachment 243123

oh ya, that’s why we start these threads before we do a final review so we can hear from members who have used the gear or have specific questions. makes for a better review. some times we even include member pics and info in the final review. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I've been going back and forth between the gale force and blizzard set for months and still on the fence. For my use they will be for single digits all the way to -40 but they will be spot and stalk hunts. Hope there is more reviews soon as the blizzard set seems to be getting discontinued and the price is extremely reasonable right now

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to ask this question about the pants themselves. Since KUIU only likes to run 34 Inseams on their L and XL did you find the pant leg extremely long? I had to get my Axis pants hemmed down from the 34 itself but i would have no clue how you would ever properly hem the gale force set

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been going back and forth between the gale force and blizzard set for months and still on the fence. For my use they will be for single digits all the way to -40 but they will be spot and stalk hunts. Hope there is more reviews soon as the blizzard set seems to be getting discontinued and the price is extremely reasonable right now
is the only review we did from the Blizzard line.

Zach will be back soon to answer you other question

ZuluBravo

WKR
You wouldn’t be able to hem the Gale Force set. I’m a 32” inseam in regular pants. I like a little extra room in a bib, the 34” inseam on the Large Gale Force bibs did not seem excessive. If you look at my pictures above you’ll see that the pants are not too long. I’m 5’10” for reference.

Last edited:

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
You wouldn’t be able to hem the Gale Force set. I’m a 32” inseam in regular pants. I like a little extra room in a bib, the 34” inseam on the Large Gale Force bibs did not seem excessive.
If you were doing alot of walking would you think the back of the pant would drag? Or is it tapered well enough to go around a boot. I love the pit zips and this might suit my intended use which will not be treestand hunting and spot and stalk and travel by snowmobile. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on this set is due to the inseam...and Sitka runs 32" which is perfect

ZuluBravo

WKR
Depending on the boot you are wearing they should be fine. A heavy winter boot will keep them off the ground for sure.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on the boot you are wearing they should be fine. A heavy winter boot will keep them off the ground for sure.
Thanks for your input on this. I'll have to hold off for the time being and seeing what Sitka comes out with instead of the Blizzard set....if it has the same pit zip and venting as the gale force i'll go that way. The 34 inseams with my short 31 legs has always been a problem for me. (6'0", 200lbs)

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a good point, possibly. The jacket itself runs big the bibs don't run near as big.
Do you think the jacket and bibs run big because your supposed to run kuiu's full layering system under them? Or are they big with everything already on under them?