Kuiu Gila gear

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m real interested in how it’ll smell after a few days in the heat, I know the Sitka core smells awful after two days.

I’m real interested in how it’ll smell after a few days in the heat, I know the Sitka core smells awful after two days.
Time will tell.

The Kuiu's Training Tech shirts do well with odor control, at least for me. I'll go 5-10 jogging days before washing them. They've never gotten to the offensive aroma level; outside temps have ranged from the 30s to about 100 while wearing them). Those shirts are Cool-Touch material like the Gila.

Merino wool is revered for its odor control. But it too can develop a funk after a few days of hard use. If anyone disagrees, I'd be happy to send them some unwashed merino boxers and socks after a few days of hard use in the AZ summer.

All of us are different. One piece may be awesome for one person and their needs and expectations, but can be a complete waste for others.

RCL

WKR
Glad to see the reviews.
I have a hoodie on the way and hope it will work for summer temps in Oklahoma and Kansas.
Not worried about brush busting, just something to keep sun off and dry quick.

Hondo

WKR
I've got 2 coming in this week along with the Gila gaiters I bought during the 15% and free shipping promotion. I'm anxious to see how they compare to the Sitka Core LW Hoody which has been my go-to for extreme heat. It the fabric is similar to the Sitka Redline as AZ_Hunter_2000 mentioned, then I can work with that.

Last edited:
I got mine this weekend. It's comfortable and fits fairly well. I was in between the large and extra large so ordered both. I'll be returning the large and keeping the extra. Skin feel is decent, definitely better than the peloton 118. The fabric has a definite sheen on the khaki color, not sure if it's better on the camo print. The hood with a ball cap is exactly what I was looking for shade wise.

I'm planning on ordering a sitka core lw to compare. The weight should be similar.

Benjblt

WKR
It sounds like, even when listening to the Kuiu Live Hot Weather Hunting, that the Gila is just like many other synthetic sun shirts. It just costs a $70 dollars and is a little better than shirts half the price? Am I wrong, or is it really worth that $70 for the hoodie?

Mine came in, bought them on sale for $58 so not out of line on price compared to Huk, Columbia, SaltLife, etc type shirts that are similar. They've got a weird random hem/stitching on the shoulder that seems pointless, why not just cut the material to the proper size? It's basically just what we use as a fishing shirt down here on the coast. Mine will be great to hunt in West Texas in Oct/Nov in the sun and the hood will keep the sun from roasting my ears and neck. Oh yeah, that hood is HUGE, way too big, definitely will have to wear a ball cap underneath it to keep it in place. I have a Merino 145 hoody that accomplishes the same task and probably won't stink as much, but we'll see.

Hondo

WKR
Update: Mine came in and I only had it on for about a half hour in high humidity heat (95) before it started pouring rain. Seems very close to the comfortable Redline fabric and as others have mentioned, does have a sheen to it on the Vias and Verde. I went from a Dri-release t-shirt to the Gila and it was noticeably cooler and it does dries quickly in spite of containing the dreaded Spandex material.

My initial thoughts are that I don't like the oversized hood in comparison to the Sitka Core LW Hoody's lower profile hood but like it better than the too constricting hood on the FL Wick Hoody. It may provide an additional air circulation cooling effect and maybe even fit my cowboy hat but my concern is that in high winds the hood will likely be flapping around like the jowls of a hound dog in a wind tunnel. I do prefer the Gila layered thumbholes over the Sitka thumb loops as they provide additional sun protection. Time will tell on how the odor control on the Gila compares to Polygiene.

Based only on my non-extensive half hour test I will be getting a lot of use out of these during the early season and well into the mid-season when I am in Texas. Kuiu has been needing a hot-weather hoody in their lineup and I think it is a very good first attempt. I prefer the Sitka LW Hoody overall with its fit, fabric, zippered chest, built-in facemask and zippered chest pocket but am excited to have these.

Last edited:

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the hooded version hoping for something to wear fishing or possibly hot turkey hunting days. I love it so far. It’s comfortable and I like the looser fit. I’m going to order the non hooded version too. I’m really susceptible to sun burn so I wear long sleeves year round.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up one and I'm not sure if I'll wear it much for hunting. Super comfortable but more of a fishing/scouting shirt in my mind which if I judge based off of other similar shirts I have it will stink real quick.

Personally I'll probably stick with a lightweight wool blend for hunting.

j33

WKR
It sounds like, even when listening to the Kuiu Live Hot Weather Hunting, that the Gila is just like many other synthetic sun shirts. It just costs a $70 dollars and is a little better than shirts half the price? Am I wrong, or is it really worth that $70 for the hoodie?

On the Jay Scott podcast Brenden Burns straight up said “it’s our spin on what’s already on the market”.

So expect nothing special but I guess the camo option is a nice touch for those that want that.

I almost bought a Gila hoodie on Monday but we were driving by the showroom today so I decided to wait and try it on first, I am usually between L and XL. Well I know I like the XL size but it’s sold out until 2022 :ROFLMAO:

If anyone bought 2 to try on and is thinking about returning an XL in solid color send me a PM, I’ll buy it from you

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
I said I was going to try one of these but I just ended up ordering another BD AlpenGlow Pro hoody instead. I just liked my existing one too much already. I will add that on most of these sun hoodies, the reason that the hood is so big is to create some shade around your face.

I have a large khaki that I was going to send back but if anyone wants to buy it, I'll send it your way.

ccarter

FNG
Tested mine out on a humid day riding my mountain bike to see how fast it would dry. I was pleased. To me, the closest fabric to the feel of the Gila LS on your skin is a Columbia PFG crew neck LS tee. It's very smooth faced- more comfortable than the peloton 118 by a good margin. I'm not sure if it really cools your skin or not. Going to test it in different temps to see about that. It's so comfortable to wear, I'll likely wear it as a base in cooler temps too and just put insulation over it. Like someone mentioned earlier, the fit is looser than most Kuiu stuff, but by no means would I call it loos. Huk shirts by comparison are baggier/looser in the torso and arms on me.

I tried my Gila hoodie out this weekend also. It was extremely comfortable in temps of 90+ degrees. I like the fit better than the tiburon shirt also. The hood is a little big but with a hat on it fits perfect. It was amazing how quickly it dried out and was not stinky after use. The only thing I probably won’t use are the thumb holes but that’s just a personal preference.
I ordered an XL and thought it was perfect for me. 5’10” 180.

I'm 6'0 215 ish ordered XL ( normally wear xl in kuiu wool.) fits like a loose XL as expected

pros: upf 50 sun protection, dries quick, soft, comfy fabric, thumb holes are well thought out to protect the back of the hands glassing.

cons: no face mask, no chest zip, giant hood which isn't really functional without a hat for me, synthetic so
gets stinky after a couple days

would be perfect for day hunts, camping trips, weekend scouting trip. seemed to get funkier than my usual sitka lightweight hoodie so I don't you'd want it for 5-7 day hunts. maybe could get creative and rotate it with a merino t to combat that though.

feels comparable to those sims or huk fishing hoodies in the same price range. nice piece.

Has anyone compares Kuiu to Duluth? Duluth also uses a lot of toray products and curious if any difference?