Kuiu Gila gear

Interested in the answer to this question from those with experience with both
Do recommend folks read Kuiu’s article about their hot weather gear options as well as read the design features before purchasing.

I have a handful of in-fields days with the Gila. I do have Gen 1 Tiburon pants and shirt as well. This what I know so far.

When temperatures are 110+, wind or no wind, and you’re in the sun, it just sucks. Period. There’s no magic garment that’ll make it feel like a balmy 65 degrees.

If you are baking in the sun (ex: glassing) wear the Gila.

If it is hot and you are not in the sun for extended periods of time, wear the Tiburon.

If you already have a lightweight hoodie that you love to wear when it is hot and sunny, or if you do not have concerns about skin damage/exposure, then skip the Gila.

Manakh

FNG
Do recommend folks read Kuiu’s article about their hot weather gear options as well as read the design features before purchasing.

I have a handful of in-fields days with the Gila. I do have Gen 1 Tiburon pants and shirt as well. This what I know so far.

When temperatures are 110+, wind or no wind, and you’re in the sun, it just sucks. Period. There’s no magic garment that’ll make it feel like a balmy 65 degrees.

If it is hot and you are not in the sun for extended periods of time, wear the Tiburon.

If you already have a lightweight hoodie that you love to wear when it is hot and sunny, or if you do not have concerns about skin damage/exposure, then skip the Gila.
Ya no saving grace when it's that hot. Just want to know if there is one cooler then the other which it is. Every shred of cooling capability possible counts!!!

I wore my Verde Gila all day today fly fishing in the Sierras, kinda looked like riperian camo IMO. Anyways, it did great in full sun, partial sun, and full shade keeping me from putting on sunscreen which I hate. Also noticed when there is a breeze the large hood helps catch the wind and direct it down your back.

I caught 5 little guys then broke my rod, so this may not be my lucky shirt :LOL:

I'm curious what's going to be cooler, this or the tiburon?
I don't have the Tiburon shirt but I have the shorts. I much prefer the next-to-skin feel of the Gila over the Tiburon. I'm not sure what would feel cooler but the dwr in the Tiburon reduces it's moisture wicking in my experience.

I had the first gen t
I'm curious what's going to be cooler, this or the tiburon?
Gila will be cooler. The Tiburon shit sucks doesn't soak in moisture just makes u way clammier. Gila could use a face mask and half zip but still way more comfortable than the Tiburon top. Tiburon pants are awesome, top not so much. Sitka core lightweight hoody another great option for hot weather if gila sold out

Wore this today bowhunting with about 15-20mph tradwinds into my face and the hood kept blowing up like a balloon and falling off. Pretty big fail. Poorly designed hood way too big and without a face mask it's pretty much useless if you hunt in any wind. My sitka core lw hoody doesn't have this issue even without using the facemask, it's much better designed.

ChrisAU

WKR
If I wear a large Peloton 97 but XL in every thing else Kuiu I have, and don't want a skin tight shirt, should I go L or XL in Gila?

If I wear a large Peloton 97 but XL in every thing else Kuiu I have, and don't want a skin tight shirt, should I go L or XL in Gila?
I went XL and it fits me great. It’s long enough that it doesn’t ride up when sitting to glass or with a pack on. I went XL also because I figured it would be the only piece I would be wearing due to such hot weather and I wanted it loose fitting.
I would go XL if in your position also.

seawolfxix

Lil-Rokslider

Every size available except Medium :confused:

purchased and took on a wade fishing trip in south texas. performed flawlessly in the sun and I was never hot (purchased the dark grey). Will definitely buy more when available. It worked similarly to other sun gear (columbia, etc) but seemed to be better made than other brands.

Hondo

WKR

AZ_Hunter_2000 nails it here. I've had the opportunity to wear my Gila's (hoodies, crews & gaiters) during extended periods in hot conditions. The Gila is ideal for direct sun exposure in hot weather but does not allow air flow as well as the Tiburon or other higher permeable fabrics. I don't see it as a "which one to buy" situation as I have uses for both.

Overall for the price point I am very pleased with the performance of the Gila line.

Poser

WKR
Even though I didn’t pick one of these Kuiu shirts up, I have been loving the sun hoodies in general this season. Sunscreen is increasingly looking to be terrible for men and for the planet. The chemical benzene has estrogen producing properties and is essentially a testosterone killer. I’ve been using a beeswax/zinc based product called “Ski Balm” which works exceeding well on my face + some large blade sunglasses, sun hoody + Tiburon pants. No sun burn, no wind burn. That’s pretty good given the altitude and UV intensity of the SW.

BBob

WKR
Other than Kuiu Gila and Tiburon sun shirts what sun shirts with a hood are all of you actually using and like?

The Sitka Core Lightweight hoody that was mentioned doesn't seem to be advertised as sun protective. I have the Tiburon (I don't care for the Tiburon fabric much) but would like to find a sun protective hoody.

Edit: I don't care much for the fabric in the Tiburon shirt. I have no issues with Tiburon pants or shorts, those are great.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Other than Kuiu Gila and Tiburon sun shirts what sun shirts with a hood are all of you actually using and like?

The Sitka Core Lightweight hoody that was mentioned doesn't seem to be advertised as sun protective. I have the Tiburon (I don't care for the Tiburon fabric much) but would like to find a sun protective hoody.

Mentioned above, but I tried several brands: OR, Arc’terx, BD etc and the BD AlpenGlow Pro is the best by far. The non pro model lacks the chest zipper and vented armpits and has a weird seam at the base of the neck and I didn’t really like it, but the pro model is awesome. -difficult to imagine a better design after trying several.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider

I love my Patagonia Tropic Comfort Hoody for fishing. They sell it in a neutral gray color so you could use it hunting if need be.

Kostrize

WKR

Edit: I don't care much for the fabric in the Tiburon shirt. I have no issues with Tiburon pants or shorts, those are great.

Sitka may not advertise the LW Hoody as sun protective but I had no issues with it on a multi day hunt in southern AZ so it must be

Sitka may not advertise the LW Hoody as sun protective but I had no issues with it on a multi day hunt in southern AZ so it must be
Same. I wear it in Hawaii all day all summer and have never gotten burned. The face mask is nice because of the sun's at an angle it will still protect your chin and neck. The core lightweight hoodie and the Tiburon pants are my go to hot weather setup

Last year I hunted in some pretty hot West Texas sun and wore my FL Wick LS, wish it had a hoodie but other than that I don't remember even thinking about it which means it did the job.