Kuiu - gotta vent

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Got the Base Camp Hooded Sweater and the logo is peeling off after 3 months of casual use, and two washings. This is not a hunting garment, it's daily wear. You wear it out and about, in public, so if the giant KUIU logo is peeling off your front-left chest it looks pretty sh*tty. That's what $100 gets you? Crazy.

I emailed Kuiu customer service to make them aware. I wasn't asking for a credit, refund, or replacement, just kindly letting them know it was happening, because who knows... maybe a bad batch was made or something. Their response was:

"Unfortunately this isn't covered under our warranty as it's only cosmetic but this is something that happens quite often with that particular item (even our hunting gear) as our logos are only screen printed."

Uh, ok. So two things. 1) I wasn't asking about warranty coverage but they immediately took the standpoint of "we don't cover that" and 2) their entire explanation just sounds like, "we know that we make something that will come apart, and it's fine."

Just had to vent.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I have the same piece, hope this doesnt happen to mine. Ive had mine and washed the same amount of time as you. Its a shame, nice casual sweater : /

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same sweater. I like it alright. That said, it's either a nice sweater or it's just a sweater-shaped logo holder. None of my attacks still have any of the logo on them and they're still good pants. I'd suggest a tattoo if you need a kuiu logo on you for the long haul. ;-)

Got the Base Camp Hooded Sweater and the logo is peeling off after 3 months of casual use, and two washings. This is not a hunting garment, it's daily wear. You wear it out and about, in public, so if the giant KUIU logo is peeling off your front-left chest it looks pretty sh*tty. That's what $100 gets you? Crazy.

I emailed Kuiu customer service to make them aware. I wasn't asking for a credit, refund, or replacement, just kindly letting them know it was happening, because who knows... maybe a bad batch was made or something. Their response was:

"Unfortunately this isn't covered under our warranty as it's only cosmetic but this is something that happens quite often with that particular item (even our hunting gear) as our logos are only screen printed."

Uh, ok. So two things. 1) I wasn't asking about warranty coverage but they immediately took the standpoint of "we don't cover that" and 2) their entire explanation just sounds like, "we know that we make something that will come apart, and it's fine."

Just had to vent.

Thanks for the heads up. I got the sweater without the hood for Christmas and it’s been washed 3x so far. Hopefully it doesn’t happen because it looks great and that wound really piss me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think they'd want their advertisement staying on the sweater. . I have the same sweater and I'm not impressed myself. Not falling apart (yet apparently), however it just doesnt feel like a $100 piece. Kinda cheap and Ethiopian if you ask me

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! I would feel they would want your feedback and offer up a new Sweater.
Meh. Like I said I wasn't trying to get anything free out of it. I wasn't being grumpy with them either. But their response was just so, robotic and insincere. Call me old fashion but I like my customer service to be a little more personal.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same sweater. I like it alright. That said, it's either a nice sweater or it's just a sweater-shaped logo holder. None of my attacks still have any of the logo on them and they're still good pants. I'd suggest a tattoo if you need a kuiu logo on you for the long haul. ;-)
I get what you're poking at me for, but that's not the case and you're missing the point.

I don't need the logo. The hoody would be just as great without the logo. It just looks really shitty with it peeling off. Their carefree response to it, saying it's a common issue, and the fact that it's $100 is what pisses me off.

SDHNTR

WKR
From the beginning, I’ve always found many of Kuiu’s business practices to be questionable.
IMO, Not only is their response here unacceptable as a consumer, but even from the company’s viewpoint, this is just dumb. Why would they want their company logo looking like shit? Their explanation is laughable. Find a better screenprinter! I have $10 tee shirts that are 15 years old and the screen printing still looks fine. Fortunately, we have plenty of other good choices!

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
From the beginning, I’ve always found many of Kuiu’s business practices to be questionable.
IMO, Not only is their response here unacceptable as a consumer, but even from the company’s viewpoint, this is just dumb. Why would they want their company logo looking like shit? Their explanation is laughable. Find a better screenprinter! I have $10 tee shirts that are 15 years old and the screen printing still looks fine. Fortunately, we have plenty of other good choices!
That was my first thought. I have so many screen printed shirts that are fine lol.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Fortunately, we have plenty of other good choices!

First Lite, here I come. I've talked to their customer service a few times about sizing, product explanations, etc., and they've always been straight shooters. Profesional but in a "you sound like someone I'd hang out" kind of way.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have a pair of attack pants and a spindrift puffy that I still wear from the first year Kuiu came to market, around eight-ish years ago. They haven't had logos in years. I have two aerowool shirts from First Lite that are four years old. I wear them a couple of times a week. Those logos fell off years ago..... I have a Mountain Hardwear jacket that doesn't have a logo anymore either but it just keeps on being puffy.......

I’ve had good luck with Kuiu customer service but have not used it much these past few years. That said things there seem to really have taken a dive now that Jason is gone and everything seems corporate run now. A few of their very good employees are gone also.

Wow...

I have a pair of attack pants and a spindrift puffy that I still wear from the first year Kuiu came to market, around eight-ish years ago. They haven't had logos in years. I have two aerowool shirts from First Lite that are four years old. I wear them a couple of times a week. Those logos fell off years ago..... I have a Mountain Hardwear jacket that doesn't have a logo anymore either but it just keeps on being puffy.......

The difference here is this is a fashion garment and not a hunting garment. I and most couldn’t care less in a hunting garment if the logo comes off because for my hunting gear I only care about function. This is why my camo doesn’t match. I buy my clothes on sale and only care about the function and not the pattern as long as it isn’t shiny or loud to attract attention from the game or other people.

In the case of the sweater you are wearing it often in office settings to a restaurant etc. and want your clothes to look good as well as function. If the silkscreening is a known issue then they need to either get a better silk screener or drop the silkscreen altogether and possibly embroider the logo if they want the logo over the pocket.

Slugz

WKR
I've had two questionable moments with Kuiu

1) The response in this article. I found it when I was trying to get some hunting gear that could keep up with our lifestyle. https://gearjunkie.com/kuiu-limited-edition-womens-line.

2) They routinely are very slow in the customer service and shipping department. I frequently order something from Kuiu and FirstLite the same day. The communication and responsiveness by KUIU is way behind FirstLite

For those two reasons I've been looking at the FirstLit line of clothing.....first.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu shipping has always been quick for me. Their customer service response times to questions could definitely be improved, but I will still buy from them. I have been happy with their gear.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I've had two questionable moments with Kuiu

1) The response in this article. I found it when I was trying to get some hunting gear that could keep up with our lifestyle. https://gearjunkie.com/kuiu-limited-edition-womens-line.

2) They routinely are very slow in the customer service and shipping department. I frequently order something from Kuiu and FirstLite the same day. The communication and responsiveness by KUIU is way behind FirstLite

For those two reasons I've been looking at the FirstLit line of clothing.....first.

Yeaaaa... the lack of women's clothing speaks for itself. They don't truly support women hunting. The majority of hunters are men so from a business standpoint that's where you're going to make your money, but that doesn't mean you cut out the other demographic entirely. Kuiu has their niche figured out and made it quite clear.

First Lite and Sitka both have just about as much women's clothing as men's.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The difference here is this is a fashion garment and not a hunting garment. I and most couldn’t care less in a hunting garment if the logo comes off because for my hunting gear I only care about function. This is why my camo doesn’t match. I buy my clothes on sale and only care about the function and not the pattern as long as it isn’t shiny or loud to attract attention from the game or other people.

In the case of the sweater you are wearing it often in office settings to a restaurant etc. and want your clothes to look good as well as function. If the silkscreening is a known issue then they need to either get a better silk screener or drop the silkscreen altogether and possibly embroider the logo if they want the logo over the pocket.

Haha! Everything I own is a fashion garment. I wear “hunting” clothing almost everyday.

@Yard Candy the First Lite logo print won’t say on any better. He is right the only fix is to embroider but that does make the cost go up.