KUIU Guide Glove

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody using the KUIU Guide Glove? I haven't had much luck with gloves, they've either been to thin (cold) or to heavy (Bulky). I would like a glove that offers good movement for using a release and manipulating safeties and triggers but also provide some warmth.

tstowater

WKR
I've got a pair, but I won't say that they are perfect. If someone knows what the perfect pair of gloves are, please let me know. I think it depends on what you are expecting out of a pair of gloves. If you want waterproof-these aren't the answer. If you want really warm-these aren't the answer. If you want a comfortable, flexible, tougher than average useful gloves at $60.00 a pair- these are the ticket. I'm really not sure what is better unless you want to buy some high dollar technical gloves that may not be as flexible.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Chilly grips :D

$60 for 12. Should last ya 3 or 4 years. Keep a pair in every vehicle and don't feel bad about loosing 'em. Waterpoof on the palm and grippy fingers. Knit on the back of hand so it doesn't get clammy from sweat like true rubbberized waterproof gloves (which are the only type that keep the rain 100% out). Best compromise I have found and I have a box full of $30-$50 gloves to show for my failure to find anything better for my uses. Shoot a bow release with no issues at all with them on too.

Plus the even come in a simply camo :D

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nope, not like the Atlas at all. I've had the Atlas at work and its different. The chilly grips are MUCH MUCH warmer. Trust me I found this out the hard/cold way, when I tried to save a buck.

Or if you need even more dexterity, a set of $3.99 gardening gloves with a thinner rubber palm and synthetic back work great. Not any more waterproof than the KUIU, but they dry near instantly, weight 1 oz for the pair, are fairly warm and even work with an iphone for some weird reason. Hey, lots of options out there.

Camo gloves... Worst. Idea. Ever. Orange on the other hand, I might buy.

Yk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
great thread. I have some high-dollar Sitka gloves that I actually really like, but Chilly Grips are the better deal for sure.

Camo gloves... Worst. Idea. Ever. Orange on the other hand, I might buy.

Yk

Camo gloves worst idea? Close, but I think Camo knife has it beat.

Lawnboi

WKR
I really like the kuiu guide gloves. I got them a size bigger so i can layer a pair of liner gloves underneath. They work good with or without the liners.

I cant wear those chilly grip gloves or any other rubber style glove like that. My hands sweat way too much. Cant even wear them at work.

Camo gloves worst idea? Close, but I think Camo knife has it beat.

Ok, ok, camo knives are right up there. Both of my go-to knives are orange for a reason. As is my GPS and a few other things. If they made orange cameras, I'd be all over it. Left a really nice one of those on a gravel bar somewhere this spring because I forgot to at least tie a piece of orange flagging on it.

I also really like some of the Sitka gloves, but can't get over the whole camo thing. Maybe for people who are better organized or have better eyesight than me. :)

Sorry... didn't mean to sidetrack the thread.

Yk

bobhunts

WKR
No problem! I have the KUIU gloves and the only ones I still have. The reason being I keep loosing them! I bought a pair of Sitka shooter gloves for $40.00 and somehow lost them on my first scouting trip. I actually liked them better than the KUIU gloves that I still have. And they where cheaper! Imagine that! Bob.

idig4au

WKR
I am indifferent to the Guide Gloves. Used them a couple of times. I agree with some of the comments above...they are nice $60 pair of average gloves for non-specific applications.

At the end of the day, I will probably go back to my rag wool gloves....those work the best for me when its cold and I need gloves.

Lawlu

FNG
... If they made orange cameras, I'd be all over it. Left a really nice one of those on a gravel bar somewhere this spring because I forgot to at least tie a piece of orange flagging on it...

Sorry... didn't mean to sidetrack the thread.

Yk
Google Nikon AW 100 for the camera...might fit the bill...sorry for the sidetrack too ;)

OP
WV Hunter

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'll check these out Luke. Thanks for the recommendation. If they are working in Alaska they should be good for WV.

$60 for 12. Should last ya 3 or 4 years. Keep a pair in every vehicle and don't feel bad about loosing 'em. Waterpoof on the palm and grippy fingers. Knit on the back of hand so it doesn't get clammy from sweat like true rubbberized waterproof gloves (which are the only type that keep the rain 100% out). Best compromise I have found and I have a box full of $30-$50 gloves to show for my failure to find anything better for my uses. Shoot a bow release with no issues at all with them on too.

Rocky

WKR
I like the gloves. My only complaint is the sizing of the thumb. The gloves fit really nice except for the thumbs. Maybe I have an abnormally small thumbs :)

jherald

WKR
I've had good luck with my Kuiu Guide gloves for the intended purpose. I've been using mine during August-October hunts where I've been fairly active and they are perfect. Also have been good for going out in the morning's and cleaning the frost off. I dont think they are a real "cold weather" glove.

Rocky, I had the same issue with the thumbs. Here is a thought that I had, pinch the material around your thumb until it feels like where it should be for you, sew it by hand to secure the pinched off area, then, turn your gloves inside out and have your wife or whom ever sew the seams smaller on the inside to line up where your marker threads were then simply cut off the excess in front of the new seam. You can customize the thumbs to "fit". Turn your glove inside out and you will see exactly what I am talking about. Just be sure to use a heavy thread similar to what was originally used on the glove. Customizing your gear is not for everyone, and it will void your warranty. However, if you want a custom fit glove, you would have to have gloves custom made anyway and it would certainly cost much more than the Kuiu Guide glove anyway so why not have your wife do a little sew and cut?

I'm going to be cutting the hood off of one of my Guide jackets and have a zipper sewn in for the few times where I want the hood. I only like a hood maybe 20% of the time I am hunting anyway.

like most everything luke recommends, i picked up some chilly grips. sprung for the $8 chilly H2O. oh man are these things warm! in a whole different league from my cheap atlas...