Kuiu guide jacket knock-off

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Hi there
I’m looking for a water and wind resident lightweight soft shell jacket. Something similar to the Kuiu DCS Guide jacket.
But a bit less expensive. Anyone know of something?

OP
F

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
i had their Rubicon hooded jacket and thought it preformed just as good as the guide and its cheaper and more roomy

Awesome. I’ll check out the Rubicon. Thank you!
Any other, ideas? Doesn’t have to be a “hunting” brand.

I bought a green hooded Colombia from amazon for like $50. My friend has the kuiu axis and I honestly didn't notice that much difference. Especially for $200 dollars more.

It is very hard to spend a lot of money on clothes but you really won’t know the difference until you get it and use it for the intended purpose. Save up and instead of settling buy the kuiu.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe consider Kryptek cadog or njord. Cadog if your hunting style is more active. They have a pretty big line of jackets and there may be one more comparable to the guide jacket than what I recommended.

Guide jacket isn’t a very good jacket in my opinion. It’s not waterproof, not windproof and very heavy(especially when wet). I would search for another option. Not bagging on kuiu as I have a decent amount of their gear, just the Guide jacket isn’t a good piece in my opinion. If you really want one, wait for a good price on a used one as they get listed here in the classifieds quite often. Just my 2 cents.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to go really inexpensive, Costco stuff is a good way to go. they sell a Kirkland softshell that comes in earth tones and would do fine. I think it is around 20 bucks.

BluMtn

WKR
I’m not wearing brown as an outer layer in WA.....Even with a orange vest....😳😳

Whats the matter. You don't trust your fellow Washingtonians to not shoot you. That is why I wear camo. Not for the animals but my fellow hunters.

Dhbwa

WKR
Whats the matter. You don't trust your fellow Washingtonians to not shoot you. That is why I wear camo. Not for the animals but my fellow hunters.
Correct. I do not trust them......I try to stay away from all hunters but that isn’t always possible......

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at Cabellas Lookout fleece soft shell. It Doesn't have pit zips and other fancy features, but it blocks the wind better & will stay dry a little longer. Kuiu's Guide jacket is not very good. The Axis & Sitkas jet stream are much better, but more expensive.

OP
F

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the ideas.
I ended up buying jacket on sale on Camofire, the “Predator Ultra lightweight jacket”. Only $37. ...we’ll see,

anthonyjg

FNG
Late to this conversation, but I'd say Huntworth is on the high end of the budget stuff. Does a fine job, though, if you can't afford the premium brands.

I know this thread came back to life after 2 years but if anybody is still looking, I would look very hard at the Blackovis Meridian Soft Shell. $75 is incredible value for what you get.