Kuiu Guides

jacob95

FNG
How well do the Kuiu Guide pants and jacket do at blocking the wind? I've only ever had Kuiu base layers and I'd like to try some of their outer layers instead of going straight to FL.

Jacob

OP
J

jacob95

FNG
Also how are the guides and attacks both size wise? Do they run true? I know some of my FL pieces are way off.

j33

WKR
Buy the Axis gear guide doesn’t block wind (I have Axis never had guide but lots of reviews online)

Axis is much more wind & waterproof than First Lite Catalyst but noisier and less breathable.

I love my guide jacket. But you have to have a puffy under it to block the wind..
I feel the guide pants run very true to size. I wear 33 blue jeans and the 34 guide pants are just a little big even with a base layer on. The 32s fit but are just ever so slightly snug.

amassi

WKR
Also how are the guides and attacks both size wise? Do they run true? I know some of my FL pieces are way off.
They're true to size in the waist, they are an athletic cut and taper to the ankle

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
J

jacob95

FNG
Buy the Axis gear guide doesn’t block wind (I have Axis never had guide but lots of reviews online)

Axis is much more wind & waterproof than First Lite Catalyst but noisier and less breathable.
I've never even noticed the Axis gear before. It actually looks really solid compared to the Guide set. I have the Catalyst set and Corrugate Guide set now.

OP
J

jacob95

FNG
I'm going to order a couple pair of Attacks, a Guide Set and an Axis set over the next couple weeks. I dont really hear much as far as negatives about Kuiu (besides keeping stock) so I'm sure I'll be happy with all of it!

Rock-o

WKR
I have almost no experience but I'll share the following.

I went skiing at Heavenly (Tahoe) this year and wore a Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 Zip-t and a Guide jacket. Most of the time I was comfortable. At times I was too warm but not hot. So, on a mountain... windy, skiing... windy. I'd have to look up temps for the dates. I feel like I've posted about this here already. Anyway, point is, I was fine. Guide doesn't block wind? Maybe so but it's news to me. Seems to me if that's how it is and you're prepared than it's not an issue and actually could be used to your advantage.

Poser

WKR
I have almost no experience but I'll share the following.

I went skiing at Heavenly (Tahoe) this year and wore a Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 Zip-t and a Guide jacket. Most of the time I was comfortable. At times I was too warm but not hot. So, on a mountain... windy, skiing... windy. I'd have to look up temps for the dates. I feel like I've posted about this here already. Anyway, point is, I was fine. Guide doesn't block wind? Maybe so but it's news to me. Seems to me if that's how it is and you're prepared than it's not an issue and actually could be used to your advantage.

I’ve worn a guide jacket snowboarding a number of times and I would consider it Comfortable for certain conditions when skiing, high winds not being one of those conditions. If there is a good chill in the air, even on a calm day, if you’re bombing 40+ mph, you’ll feel a healthy dose of that cold air cut through the jacket. Hunting wise, I’ve found the best use for a guide jacket is hunting in the desert in cold weather. The softshell is far less susceptible to damage from catclaw and similar than a hardshell or a mid layer without a shell. Guide jacket also works well as outwear for snow that is relatively dry (doesn’t do so well in really wet snow). I’ve gone out on 3rd rifle day hunts where The guide was the only shell I brought with me and it worked well for that.

It’s much more of a “quiver” jacket than it is a primary jacket: great for certain conditions on certain days, useless on others. If I am carrying a hardshell anyway, I’ve found that a mid layer like the First Lite Sawtooth (which is lighter than the guide) + the hard shell (which I am carrying anyway), to be much better at cutting the wind than the guide + offering more versatility as 2 separate pieces vs. carrying 2 shells.

LongCut

FNG
Axis jacket is what I have. If wind is a concern, I would go with this over the guide for sure.

As far as pant sizes, I usually wear 36-38. 38 Kuiu pants fit, but not enough room for me. I went with 40. They have a little more play than the 38s did, and I can layer under them and tuck a shirt or two in, and still move comfortably.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
I have the axis pant. They seem to have a bigger fit to me especially in lower legs. Really a comfortable pant. I’d say they are good hunting down into the teens and 20s. Descent In wind. After that they seem cold without layering. They are colder where the waterproof panels are, at least to me. Overall a really nice pant. If it’s real cold I’d still go with wool.