Kuiu Gunmetal Color

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought some Kuiu Kutana Storm Shell pants in the Gunmetal colorway from the Classifieds. When I revieved them, I noticed what my eyes interpreted to be a deep shade of green mixed in with dark gray, resulting in an almost black-teal color. Can anyone else confirm that your gunmetal Kuiu clothing has the same subtle teal tint? Or is this not actually the Gunmetal colorway (though I can't think of what other colorway it could be)?

The kutana and the attack in gunmetal are 2 very different shades of grey. The kutanas have a slight hint of greenish blue to them in certain light. Maybe post a picture of them.

Kutana left, Attack right.

Attachments

• IMG_3689.jpeg
    IMG_3689.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 47
OP
CWayne121

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
Here is what I'm seeing.
e80807613eae070e012fa5ea01ee2a98.jpg
23a9e4f45698c4d6ec5530db16bf51a9.jpg
20230916_183115.jpg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The kutana and the attack in gunmetal are 2 very different shades of grey. The kutanas have a slight hint of greenish blue to them in certain light. Maybe post a picture of them.

Kutana left, Attack right.
The lighter one looks like the “stone” color tiburons I had.
Here is what I'm seeing.
e80807613eae070e012fa5ea01ee2a98.jpg
23a9e4f45698c4d6ec5530db16bf51a9.jpg
View attachment 602305
The pants on the hanger look identical to the chugach pants I had in gunmetal. That color shows up almost black on some materials. My peloton fleece does have a bit of a hue In bright sunlight but it didn’t look green to me.

OP
CWayne121

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty disappointing how the colors differ so much between models. It doesn't take much to color correct after receiving samples from a factory. It's not difficult technology to learn and apply during the lead up to production.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I reached out to Kuiu. Here is their response:

". . . Each technical fabric that we use will take the printing of the color or camo differently. You will see these slight variations in all our different fabrics such as our Primeflex, Stunner Stretch, and Cordura. We are consistently working on color balancing each material together as closely as possible. We strive to make each garment the same, but it doesn't always come out to be a perfect match. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast when working with highly technical fabrics whereas cottons are much easier to balance. . ."

EdP

WKR
No doubt different fabrics take dye differently so I think Kuiu's answer is reasonable. I have a Kuiu Venture 2300 in gunmetal and I've noticed it looks different under different light going from gray to green. Still a good color for a pack IMO.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty disappointing how the colors differ so much between models. It doesn't take much to color correct after receiving samples from a factory. It's not difficult technology to learn and apply during the lead up to production.

Why does it matter?

OP
CWayne121

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
Functionally it doesn't. I just expect more polish and intentionality from a premium clothing and gear company.

OP
CWayne121

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
It's like asking why the color mismatch between quarter panels on your new truck matters.

LoggerDan

WKR
Maybe you think about that stuff. I see your jab. But you got everything wrong. Wasn’t too clever

Axlrod

WKR
It's like asking why the color mismatch between quarter panels on your new truck matters.
Well my new truck was 80k and if the panels didn't match i would assume it had been wrecked & repainted, so I wouldn't have purchased it. If one leg of your pants were a different color well then...

Like I tell my wife when she repaints over perfectly good paint in our house, and she asks "what color" I say " they all look the same with the lights off!"
And what in the hell is a colorway? No don't tell me, I don't need to know. ;)

IdahoBeav

WKR
Maybe you think about that stuff. I see your jab. But you got everything wrong. Wasn’t too clever
It's not a jab. It's a joke. Of course the color match doesn't matter, be it for hunting or work. Although, for some reason, the clothing selection and display at saw shops is far more extravagant than it needs to be, not unlike high-end hunting clothing.