KUIU - Help us Design our Super Down Sleeping Bag

We are in development of the new KUIU Super Down Sleeping bag line. The bags will be incredibly light, warm and incorporate the most advanced ingredients ever put into a sleeping bag.

As we are working through the development process, take this opportunity to help design the bag. Select the below link to go to our blog and answer some questions.

http://blog.kuiu.com/2013/04/02/superdown-sleeping-bag-development/

Thank you in advance for your help!!

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
Reads as if the bag has been designed already and that you''re just wondering how many of each you should have. What design process is in place to prevent down displacement or clumping (for lack of a better term) with such long/vertical baffles? Serious question, not sure I have seen that before.

*Edit

I am assuming the Super Down might not act the same as traditional down in that regard, is that true?

Last edited:
I see you asking about size and temp ratings. I am gonna hope it will come in a reg and long version. Along with at least two degree levels. A zero and a 20 at least? I will also add every model should be offered it a regular and wide cut.

Last edited:

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Going to hold off on buying a new bag until these come out. Posted comments on blog. Thanks Patrick!

I also hope the supply chain issues that still exist get worked out so the waiting game finally ends.

I was also about to buy a new bag, waiting now.

I requested a full length zipper and no hood so it could be unzipped and lay flat like a quilt.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Don't waste all the effort using super light and waterproof down by putting it in the bottom of the bag where it will be compressed and worthless as insulation Use the Big Agnes concept of a sleeve on the bottom for a pad.

Steve O, I suggested the same thing. Make it like a hybrid quilt/bag with a slot for the pad. Keeps you from slipping off of the pad too, which is always a nice thing.

Make it available with less than a 13 month wait. :)

seriously though, seems like everything is straightforward to me... Light, compressable, durable, warm (true to rating). It's not like we are breaking new ground here, just try to figure out how to do it for less than $1000 bucks.

Again, the Big Agnes way is AWESOME for some of us bigger guys to still get a comfortable and lightweight way. BUT my guess, as mentioned above, is that the bag is already basically designed and that this is a way to create hype and figure out supply numbers based on interest.... No offense.

Joe

rodney482

WKR
I want it long, Want room to move around..

A sleeve on the back that will allow for pads.

I want a snag free zipper system

If its rated at 15 I want to be warm when the temps get below 20.

Craig4791

WKR
I think a 0 degree and a 20-30 degree option would be ideal. Long and wide option avail.

Snag free zippers pad and pillow sleeves. Sub 2.5 lbs for a long 0 dergree and sub 2 lbs for a long 20 degree.

littlebuf

Banned
off topic but that bino harness looks awful. hopefully your still working on that one. a chest strap like that with no support from the shoulder harness must really move around on you. especially with a pack on.

- if there is more than one temperature rating, the warm weather option should be 30 degrees or higher
- condensation build-up doesn't soak the down through and through
- tear resistant to a degree
- zipper should not catch the material
- shoulder width should be broader than the average ultralight
- i like the sleeve idea, with a pocket to tuck the bag into, even if it ads 0.1 oz

dotman

WKR
Why limit the bag to only a lightweight down? Why not include a syn bag? I like some others question the long-term lasting of the DWR coating which is why I would prefer a syn option.

Anyone have any word when these are coming out. I'm getting ready to use my REI 20% off on a sierra designs dri down bag. And I would wait for a kuiu if it would be out by summer.

OP
K
We appreciate all of your comments and support. The final design of the bag has not been determined. Prototype bags have been built for testing, use and design review and we are having additional bags built for more testing, use and design review. Changes are still being made. There was a question about vertical baffling. Gates are used inside the baffle to stop the down from moving. Quilts are not currently being tested, but that doesn’t mean we are not considering them. "Incredibly light", we don't have a weight, but they will be light. Unfortunately we don't have a release date or cost.

As for the off topic comment about the Binocular Harness, when used properly, it works incredibly well with virtually no movement. There is no elastic in our Binocular System. The advantage of eliminating the elastic is that even with the heaviest binoculars you can run without binocular bounce or crawl without the binoculars sagging away from your body.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
akcharlie I'm sure it won't be out til next year or atleast after this falls hunts... I just wouldn't hold your breath especially if you're needing it for hunts this summer/fall... Man I love KUIU but hate it when they let the cat out early then leave you hanging for months and months... :(

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Patrick,

Thanks so much for posting this up on Rokslide. It looks like a real commitment to putting out what hunters really want.

I also prefer down, and love the idea of DWR treated down. I see it as insurance for spindrift, condensation, etc.

I also like the 0 and 15 options. The snag-free zipper is a big one to me. A pad sleeve (assuming there isn't a patent issue), would be extremely welcome as well.

I will be watching to see how this turns out!