KUIU Icon 5000

Shrek

WKR
Sk1 , would you weigh the pack and frame and give a accurate weight ? Good to know real weight vs. claimed weight.

sk1

WKR
Sk1 , would you weigh the pack and frame and give a accurate weight ? Good to know real weight vs. claimed weight.

i don't have a nice scale for something like that, at least not one that will get down to ounces, i can see what my scale reads in lbs but wouldn't consider it highly accurate....I can tell you my tenzing 6000 i think they claim weights a couple oz under 8lbs, and with the side pouches added on this KUIU i think im around 6lbs 7oz or so, and the KUIU feels extremely light compared to the tenzing 6000, it feels like so much more than a 1.5lb difference

wapitibob

WKR
Careful with how you use the load cell and how much weight you put in it. I've seen a 2012 frame snapped in half from a boned out deer.

sk1

WKR
Careful with how you use the load cell and how much weight you put in it. I've seen a 2012 frame snapped in half from a boned out deer.

well ill put as much weight as i have to in it, and if it breaks it will go back......i sure hope that doesnt become an issue with these packs, it will suck if its in the middle of a trip..

Last edited:

krummholz

FNG
I'm glad you guys aren't having issues with the load lifters slipping. Maybe it has something to do with how I have it adjusted..... I will get a chance to give it another solid test next week during my elk hunt and report back.

i will say with my kuiu items the weights have been right on if not less than advertised... hopefully the guy knows he's selling to the crowd that first thing they're going to do is weigh it....

wapitibob

WKR
well ill put as much weight as i have to in it, and if it breaks it will go back......i sure hope that doesnt become an issue with these packs, it will suck if its in the middle of a trip..

they'll sell you a replacement frame for $199

Make sure you follow the "instructions" and only load it with "moderate" weight, whatever that is.

sk1

WKR
well getting disappointed already, debating if i even want to deal with it or just send it back before even giving it a try....i would have to go check but i swear in one of their videos it says you can load an elk quarter in the load sling....but in these instructions it says no more than 6 inches wide and if it's a big item like an elk quarter, to put it in the bag. I will have to go reference that video to see.

Not sure what I am going to do yet, don't like the idea of having to worry about breaking the frame, maybe i have no business looking for an ultralight pack

OP
norcalblacktail

Daveinjax - I weighed it on an accurate scale and the 5000 weighs in at 6lbs 3oz with 2 side hip pockets.

Go with a Kifaru Timberline pack, they are Ultralight and will haul anything you put in it without worries. I packed an entire Moose quarter and gear out today with mine and couldnt be happier. I love Kuiu clothing but they are missing the market with the Icon, I have had one and returned it because of various issues. Goodluck I'm your search :)

sk1

WKR
debating returning it, i hate to do it before giving it a real chance, i was really starting to like the pack........I wish i knew about this "manual" and "moderate" loads crap.....i researched this pack forever and never saw that stuff anywhere. I think the one blog jason talks about having like 100ish pounds in it.

well i guess i have time to think about it with a 60 day return policy, id rather eat shipping money than the full $600 if i do decide to return. I am not trying to discredit this pack, i really like the design, weight, and fit.....i just feel like i got slapped in the face by this manual talking about only use moderate loads and an elk quarter cant even fit in the sling, and i never saw or heard any of this stuff prior to ordering. this manual was a well kept secret or i wasn't reading in the right places

OP
norcalblacktail

Wapitibob - That is the first I've heard of that happening. I would like to know where it snapped exactly. I carried a boned out buck in it this weekend with no issues at all. Snapping a frame would mean that somehow the frame bent which wouldn't happen if loaded correctly.

OP
norcalblacktail
Sk1 - Ive put 120lbs in it on multiple occasions and cant possibly see the frame snapping. There would have to be an enormous amount of weight pulling back on the load lifters/upper stays (causing them to bend back past 90 degrees) in order for the frame to snap which means it wasn't setup right from the beginning. Kuiu should probably do a video showing how to properly load the Icon in load sling mode.

sk1

WKR
Sk1 - Ive put 120lbs in it on multiple occasions and cant possibly see the frame snapping. There would have to be an enormous amount of weight pulling back on the load lifters/upper stays (causing them to bend back past 90 degrees) in order for the frame to snap which means it wasn't setup right from the beginning. Kuiu should probably do a video showing how to properly load the Icon in load sling mode.

120lbs in the sling? or just in the pack or pack and sling combined......not that it makes a huge difference, just curious. yeah im going to hang onto it for a bit and not make any hasty decisions about a return, plus i would like to hear more about this "snapped frame" if possible....there are some things i really love about the pack, but want to make sure im not going to have issues either.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
sk1, the first versions of the 3000 / 6000 I put 100 pounds of weights in the load sling on multiple occasions and never had any problems. I also ran on a treadmill for several miles with it packed like that and the weight did fine. I don't use the pack anymore, but I would guess your frame should be ok. As far as a elk quarter in the load sling, I am not sure it would fit in there anyway, it will take up most of your pack by itself.

Eagle

WKR
sk1, the first versions of the 3000 / 6000 I put 100 pounds of weights in the load sling on multiple occasions and never had any problems. I also ran on a treadmill for several miles with it packed like that and the weight did fine. I don't use the pack anymore, but I would guess your frame should be ok. As far as a elk quarter in the load sling, I am not sure it would fit in there anyway, it will take up most of your pack by itself.

Rosin, just as an FYI they took out the internal load sling on the Icon's this year in favor of putting the sling inbetween the frame and the bag itself. Not sure on just how big a load dimensions wise you could get in it, but I'm pretty sure it would hold a considerable amount.

wapitibob

WKR

It could have been loaded incorrectly. The frame broke where the stay blends in to the frame body.
My understanding is, when the load sling is used, the lifter straps no longer prevent backward movement of the stays as the lifter straps run from the bag, then thru the slot in the stays, then to the shoulder straps. Without the sling, the stays are held by the pack bag, preventing them from bending back when under load. There may be a way to attach a short "tension" strap from the shoulder straps to the stays, preventing them from bending back under load, but if that's the case, it's not documented clearly anywhere I have seen.

The issue was resolved and he's still using the pack but I wasn't kidding about the "we'll sell you a replacement for $199".

The point of my original post was "take care when using the load sling".

so where the shoulder straps attach to the stays was forced away due to the load lifters pulling down resulting in breakage where the stays meet the shoulder straps?

wapitibob

WKR
The stays fit into pockets in the pack bag. When using the sling, the stays come out from those pockets because you seperate the bag and frame. You then run the lifter straps from the shoulder straps, thru a slot in the stays, then to the bag. the strap runs freely thru the slot in the stays and is attached at the shoulders and the now seperated bag with the unsupported stays in between. The stays can bend somewhat freely. This may not be the correct rigging and better instructions should be given if the above is not the way it's suposed to be done.

Last edited: