KUIU Icon 6000 user's... where did you all go?

cmeier117

WKR
So who is still using this pack? It seemed like every other person I talked to that tried it either loved it or didn't. Anyone using one? I know they had them at a HUGE discount like under $300 for awhile. Which seemed like a good deal. Any input from people after a season of use?

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to hear of reviews between the Icon and T2 myself.

Anyone?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The next Extreme Elk gear review has and in depth comparison of the Timberline and Icon packs.

I had to keep it somewhat short, but it does pick apart both packs and give good insight on what you will be getting from each.

I would copy and paste the article, but Corey may shoot me if I do that:)

So who is still using this pack? It seemed like every other person I talked to that tried it either loved it or didn't. Anyone using one? I know they had them at a HUGE discount like under $300 for awhile. Which seemed like a good deal. Any input from people after a season of use?

I heard a lot of guys had the bags tearing where it attaches to the suspension under heavy loads. I believe kuiu pulled them to fix the problem? Not sure.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Oh come on... Lets see if he actually does! ;) I look forward to reading it... Not that I need a pack.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
They didn't pull or recall either the 6000 or 3000. They had some issues on a couple of packs that were repaired. They do have great customer service though. They have had some minor issues as to be expected with a new company and pack. Every issue I have heard of or seen has been addressed for the most part. If the pack is something that fits your type of hunting you will probably be happy with it.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The design of the Icon does not lend itself to carrying heavy loads. To compare it to the T2 I think would be a disservice to the pack.

Interesting,

You had trouble carrying heavy loads in your Icon? I have experienced exactly the opposite with mine. It is the most comfortable heavy loaded pack I have used. Much more comfortable than my Eberlestock J104. Other haulers I have used included the BC Canadian, and several external frames (Cabelas, etc.). I love how the meat cell holds heavy items right along the frame, without letting it all roll to the bottom. I can't comment on the T2, as I haven't used it. Does it have a similar feature to keep the load tight? Did you get rid of your Icon?

Yes I sent mine back. The carbon frame had quite a bit of flex, and the wraparound waist belt (borrowed heavily from the Arcteryx Altra) are not conducive to heavy loads, although the side wands did help a little. No offense, but there is a reason this design was mostly phased out by the early '80's. I do agree that it was more comfortable than the J104 though.

I don't have the T2, I have the T1 but there is no real difference besides size. Yes, it has a meat shelf to keep everything out of the bottom of the pack.

Don't get me wrong I think the Icon is a good well constructed pack that is backed by a good company dedicated to customer service. Its just not one that is designed for carrying heavy loads.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Worry not, BH!

I didn't take any offense at all. I don't work for Kuiu, and I don't have any brand loyalty. I only care for stuff that works. The Kuiu Icon has worked for me so far. We will see how durable it is, I plan on it getting plenty of use.

The frame on mine seems super stiff. I havent' gone over 100 pounds with it yet, but I plan to this year.

Did you talk to Kuiu about your concerns? I think they would want to know.

I would love to get my hands on a T2, and check it out.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I'll second the customer service, Jason and his staff are top notch and care about us hunters!!

Thumbs up to Jason and all his KUIU guys and gals. I have had a few phone calls with them discussing products and sizes, etc. I want to play with the Icon, T2, and the Tenzing 5000 side by side. Those are going to be my top 3 right now. I have played with 27 packs in 2 years and guess what...I am still looking.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
Thumbs up to Jason and all his KUIU guys and gals. I have had a few phone calls with them discussing products and sizes, etc. I want to play with the Icon, T2, and the Tenzing 5000 side by side. Those are going to be my top 3 right now. I have played with 27 packs in 2 years and guess what...I am still looking.

you sound like me...haha i spent entirely too much money on packs over the last 4 years. After talking with Aron and hearing others high praise the Timberline is gonna be the route i go. I wouldn't mind trying a Tenzing out against it. I know the J107 is getting thrown in the free pile though....

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've gone thru just 16 in the past two years, but have carried meat in 7 of the 16. Anyways, perfection is rarely found in anything but I am getting pretty close with the Longhunter with cargo panel for some uses and the Timberline for others, and the KU 5200 for others. Keefarooo all the way!!! :D