Kuiu icon 7000

Manosteel

WKR
Anyone own or use the KUIU ICON 7000 or 5000 in the field?. What are your thoughts? I have a chance to pick up the ICON 7000 locally, used but it hasn't been out of the house.

I haven't heard to much about them. I was leaning toward the Timberline 1 but the nearly 2 month waiting period is awful long :) Anyway, any input would be great.

BTW I am 5'10" 180lbs, 32" waist. Main use will be mountain sheep hunts (mulies too), and Elk/moose in the backcountry where no motorized vehicles are allowed, so lots of walking over rugged terrian.

I have had the 2011 icon frame and the 2012 icon frame with both the 6000 and 5000 bag. Of course the 2012 icon had the 5000 bag"I like the improvements in the 2012 icon frame. It's a ton stouter than the 2011 frame. As far as the 5000 bag goes its not bad well
Layed out. I like the meat shelf between the frame and bag. Overall I'd rate it a 8/10. I put 100 pounds in my icon 5000 and it handled it as good as any pack I've carried including my Kifaru.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I probably sound like a broken record on these Icon threads, but here goes:

I have the 2011 Icon 6000. The suspension is quite comfortable. It carries heavy loads easily. I like the pivoting hip belt with moderate loads.

There is a concern with CF frames and durability, and i know some people have broken their Icon frames. Mine has held up well though.

Blackcow

WKR
I have both the 2011 6000ci and the 2012 7000ci. I've packed deer,antelope and elk in both with loads over 100 pounds . I give the nod to the 7000, simply because of the stiffer frame. I do prefer the pivoting hip belt on the2011 6000 with lighter loads, though . They both seem like durable packs worth the money .wouldn't throw them off a cliff to test the carbon frame, but haven't had a lick of trouble with either one.

Blackcow

WKR
I used the meat shelf last year,seemed to work well, kept the load centered and up. Another thing,I was a bit concerned about the material on the pack getting shredded by the brush or being to loud. Neither was a problem.Not a rip or tear from Cat claw,oak brush or cactus ,and I don't stalk with my pack beyond a point,or my client is doing the stalking or it's rifle season and the shots are too far to matter. Either way, noise was a non issue as well

krummholz

FNG
I have an Icon 5000 and am very happy with how well it works. Handles 100+ lbs easily. My only complaint is that I wish the load sling/meat shelf was bigger. It fits about half of a boned out deer or one elk quarter, but any more than that you will have to put inside the pack.

Jager

WKR
I just bought an Icon 5000, will put it to good use when it arrives and put together a detailed report, looking fwd to it arriving.