Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 bag with Gregory shoulder straps

TubbsTru

WKR
Hey all, thought maybe some of you would be interested in this.

I recently bought a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 - just the bag - for use with my duplex (love Kuiu bags, not the suspension so much). I got to thinking about using this bag without a frame and started looking for cheaper alternatives than purchasing the Kuiu suspension package. What I found were these straps made by Gregory packs. It's called the A3 Quick Swap shoulder harness, and I got mine from REI for something like $27 plus shipping. I bought the medium, and at 5'9" it seems to work fine.

The set up works very well with the Icon Pro bag. The webbing from the shoulder straps is the same size (5/8 I think) as the Kuiu straps, and connects perfectly to the ladder locks on the top of the Icon Pro bag. From there, you need to run the webbing that comes with the Kuiu bag up through the ladder locks on the bottom of the Gregory straps. I did have to modify the Kuiu straps at this point: the webbing comes from Kuiu sewn as a loop at the end- I had to undo the stitching to get it through the ladder lock on the Gregory bag. Not a big deal because it actually gives you a few more inches of strap to use. Then, I just run the quick attach belt strap that comes with the Kuiu bag, and I have a fully functional day pack that for me is 1) more economical and 2) just as comfortable as the Kuiu shoulder straps.

So, here are some pics. Not sure if any of this made sense, but feel free to ask questions.

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

OP
TubbsTru

TubbsTru

WKR
Sorry...didn't realize the pics would turn out sideways. I'll see if I can remedy that.

2ski

WKR
I like it. Looks good. So all told you have about $140 into a day pack? I like it.

OP
TubbsTru

TubbsTru

WKR
I like it. Looks good. So all told you have about $140 into a day pack? I like it.

Yup...ended up paying full price for bag plus 7.95 shipping, plus around $34 with shipping for the Gregory straps. So yeah, about $140. If you can get the bag on sale or used, it could be a very economical choice.

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
How does the bakc work without the carbon frame though? Doesnt stuff lump up against your back? Does the pack material make you sweat more since its in full contact against your back (vs just the hip and yolk hitting your back)?

OP
TubbsTru

TubbsTru

WKR
How does the bakc work without the carbon frame though? Doesnt stuff lump up against your back? Does the pack material make you sweat more since its in full contact against your back (vs just the hip and yolk hitting your back)?

You're going to get more contact for sure with your back, and thus probably more sweat. I just set this up today, so I've yet to test it in the field. I've got a few days off next week for shed hunting and will try it more extensively then.

Just wearing it around the yard here for a while, though, I can tell you I actually find it more comfortable than the Kuiu straps. I always found they concentrated pressure in the middle of my back, whereas with this set up everything is evenly distributed. I also like that I can get the bag pulled in nice and tight to my back. Of course, if you have something hard and bulky, it may press into your back, but for what I typically put in the 1850, I just don't see it as an issue. This is more for a quick and light, easy-on easy-off set up. The 1850 is made to be run in several different configurations: with frame and full suspension; without frame but with full suspension; without frame and with shoulder straps and light belt (not full padded version); without frame or belt, just shoulder straps. So, basically, I'm running it with the light belt that comes with the bag and just with different shoulder straps.

OP
TubbsTru

TubbsTru

WKR
So, spent the day out yesterday shed hunting with my 1850 and the Gregory straps. Overall, a pretty good little set up for a simple day hike. A couple of things I noticed, however:

1) The velcro loop material on the bag holds sweat

2) Because there is really nothing between my back and the bag, using a water bladder in the inside of the bag was not optimal. At first, the cold of the water transferred through the bag to my back giving me a chill, and later the warmth of my back warmed the water in the bladder. The jury is still out for me on bladders in terms of whether I like them or not, but just thought I'd mention this.

3) The weight of the bag (not sure actual lbs or ounces, but: 2L water bottle filled; Kuiu Attack pants and Peloton 240 hoodie; Kuiu Kenai; leatherman, wallet, keys; 1 qt GI canteen; compact binos; a couple PB and honey sandwiches- typical scouting/shed hunting stuff) carried pretty well, both with and without the lightweight belt. I felt no "pulling away" from my back really. The bag does tend to ride a little lower on me with this set-up as compared to the actual Kuiu suspension, but nothing to really worry about.

4) Padding and contour of the Gregory straps is good quality and fit.

So, all in all, the Gregory strap set-up is a very economical and functional alternative to the Kuiu suspension.

p.s. no sheds