Kuiu Island spring bear

Chugaglug

FNG
AK draw results out! Done a couple spring bear hunts on POW, wanted to switch it up this year and do fly in Kuiu drop hunt in 2021. Going last week of May likely. Anyone ever done? How were the temps in terms of keeping meat? Thanks!

OP
Chugaglug

Chugaglug

FNG
i drew the island beside you. hunted pow last year and going somewhere new now.

any info on Kupreanof is?
Never had that tag but have hunted the mainland tag near Petersburg. Saw a real good bear at fivemile creek north of petersburg

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I drew POW for next spring. Pretty excited, it will be my first trip to the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bighorse

WKR
I've hunted Kuiu five times for black bear. Your meat will be fine with proper care for a few days. Get it off the bear fast. Keep it clean. Get the air moving around it. Keep the rain off it.
Then when you get back to town.....you can throw it away like every one else!
You'll have a good hunt. There will be bears to shoot.

i drew the island beside you. hunted pow last year and going somewhere new now.

any info on Kupreanof is?

Drew Kupreanof as well. What is everyone's plan for camping on beaches? For someone who has never been to Alaska before how do you navigate one person being flown in and one getting your skiff there?

OP
Chugaglug

Chugaglug

FNG
We are just taking our basic backcountry camp setup in terms of camping, plus a bear fence to protect food/meat. We have a pristine ventures xstream we are building a frame and motor mount for so we are just going to get a beaver flight in. But honestly we are not planning on covering a lot of water, just getting dropped in a good spot with lots of tidal flat closely accessible mostly by foot. Boat is more for crabbing and fishing. We’ve rented skiffs on POW before and we found our feet to be more useful, not to mention a person can feel real small and insignificant in a 16’ skiff in the strait, but that could be me just having grown up on lakes instead of ocean. You could check with breakaway adventures, they rent skiffs and do water taxi so I’d imagine they could transport you and your skiff wherever you wanted.

Fitzwho

WKR
I am seriously jealous. I drew this tag about 4 years ago, for the spring 2017 season. My wife and I ended up having our first child that January. Needless to say, a 7-10 day solo hunt on an island with 4 bears per square mile was not high on my wife's list of things for me to do while she was home with a couple month old baby. Since then, just haven't found the time to even worry about applying, let alone going to Alaska.

OP
Chugaglug

Chugaglug

FNG
our fall bears on POW were pretty ,ahh, fishy. how is the spring meat?
Our mainland and pow spring bears have been great, we’ve always hunted before June 1. Bears were clearly using tide flats exclusively. Had some fall pow bear from a friend and yea, that was nasty.

We are just taking our basic backcountry camp setup in terms of camping, plus a bear fence to protect food/meat. We have a pristine ventures xstream we are building a frame and motor mount for so we are just going to get a beaver flight in. But honestly we are not planning on covering a lot of water, just getting dropped in a good spot with lots of tidal flat closely accessible mostly by foot. Boat is more for crabbing and fishing. We’ve rented skiffs on POW before and we found our feet to be more useful, not to mention a person can feel real small and insignificant in a 16’ skiff in the strait, but that could be me just having grown up on lakes instead of ocean. You could check with breakaway adventures, they rent skiffs and do water taxi so I’d imagine they could transport you and your skiff wherever you wanted.

Definitely an option worth looking into. Is normal e-scouting with OnX a good route to go to find these tide flats?

OP
Chugaglug

Chugaglug

FNG
I am seriously jealous. I drew this tag about 4 years ago, for the spring 2017 season. My wife and I ended up having our first child that January. Needless to say, a 7-10 day solo hunt on an island with 4 bears per square mile was not high on my wife's list of things for me to do while she was home with a couple month old baby. Since then, just haven't found the time to even worry about applying, let alone going to Alaska.

Bummer don’t give up, we’ve had our kid up to POW twice when he was 2 and 3, stayed in a nice cabin in Thorne bay and had a blast with him on sandy beach and out on the boat and on the ferry and float plane.

I like POW because the fishing is excellent but Kuiu / unit 3 sounds like it may be an option to consider.

Funny though it’s all about the hunt as the hides on POW are garbage.

OP
Chugaglug

Chugaglug

FNG
I like POW because the fishing is excellent but Kuiu / unit 3 sounds like it may be an option to consider.

Funny though it’s all about the hunt as the hides on POW are garbage.
Looking forward to it, our mainland hides have been awesome and our late May/very early June hides off POW have been good too