Kuiu jacket sizing

Badseed

WKR
This has been stated multiple times but I haven’t found anything to answer my question. Kuiu sizing sucks for tops! I normally wear a xxl in kuiu tops but I my xxl guide jacket is simply too short. The front of the jacket sits at my belt. When I move at all or raise my arms the jacket rides up above my pants. Is this typical of all the kuiu jackets? I love the features of the jacket but am considering selling it because it just seems to short. Can anybody comment if the axis and kutana fit the same as the guide?

Here is an example of what Im talking about. Im wearing a generic xxl t shirt, xxl peloton 240 and the guide. Layered up the front of the guide sits at the top of my pants.

6b0bedf128544bef33ac078ec9923e14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LongCut

FNG
I bought an Axis. I normally wear an XL or 2X depending on the brand and fit I am after. I got my Axis in 3X and it fits just fine. To say their stuff runs small is an understatement....

I got a peleton 97 1/4 zip in 2X. It was extremely "form fitting" and, I couldn't even zip it up. Exchanged it for a 3X, and it is amazing......

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I have no idea who kuiu uses for the sizing. The xxl guide fits smaller than my xl north face and my xl first lite. Im worried that if I get a xxxl the sleeves will be too long. Did you notice a big change in sleeve length when going from a xxl to a xxxl

Why i no longer buy their base layers at all! plus FL is more comfy. Saddens me cause I met jason shortly after opening his store and loved his stuff from the start but i cant tell you how many times i bought larges that ended up fitting my wife or my 12 year old son! Im only 5'10 185!

Kuiu founder Jason Hairston straight up said he didn't want fat guys wearing his stuff. I lost 50 pounds and now I can fit into Kuiu stuff, currently 6'5 and 230 lbs and I wear 3xl and W40. Some mid layer sleeves are a little short and tight but surprisingly the merino and jacket sleeves are fine.

They size their apparrel the technically correct way, supposedly. The problem is EVERY other manufacturer sneaks additional inches to clothing sizes by default to make consumers think they are skinnier than they are. Check your own waste measurement with a tape measure and see. Kuiu is a true W38 inches but other brands would label that same fit a size W36. So you have to "size up" one size with Kuiu.

You have to order clothes online without trying stuff on first because they only have one store, plus the sizes are all too small. I agree it's terribly annoying and I'm sure it causes them to deal with boat loads of returns and unhappy customers. That's their business model. They still make $$ with all the returns they deal with.

I live near their HQ store so I have tried on many of their options. Several times I have researched and was excited to buy an item, only to go try it on at the store and realize the fit is not going to work or the particular size I need is only made in certain limited colors. Or the sleeves are way too tight to fit layers beneath them. Or even the 3xl is way too tight like the Peloton 97. Sometimes the pullover version of an item fits perfect but the same version in quarter zip has sleeves that are way too short! Peloton 118 I'm talking to you! Their patterns are not very consistent. Glad I'm not limited to online ordering.

Back on topic, my Peloton 240 top is awesome but I agree it's cut too short in front, it's weird. My Kutana jacket is cut much longer front and back.

Last edited:

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
I wish this thread was here a month ago. I just ordered and returned the Axis jacket. I'm 6-01 and 200# and normally wear an Large or XL. Ordered their XL and it fit but there would be no way to put a mid-layer or puffy on. Now debating if i try again with XXL or switch to Sitka.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Kuiu founder Jason Hairston straight up said he didn't want fat guys wearing his stuff. I lost 50 pounds and now I can fit into Kuiu stuff, currently 6'5 and 230 lbs and I wear 3xl and W40. Some mid layer sleeves are a little short and tight but surprisingly the merino and jacket sleeves are fine.

They size their apparrel the technically correct way, supposedly. The problem is EVERY other manufacturer sneaks additional inches to clothing sizes by default to make consumers think they are skinnier than they are. Check your own waste measurement with a tape measure and see. Kuiu is a true W38 inches but other brands would label that same fit a size W36. So you have to "size up" one size with Kuiu.

You have to order clothes online without trying stuff on first because they only have one store, plus the sizes are all too small. I agree it's terribly annoying and I'm sure it causes them to deal with boat loads of returns and unhappy customers. That's their business model. They still make $$ with all the returns they deal with.

I live near their HQ store so I have tried on many of their options. Several times I have researched and was excited to buy an item, only to go try it on at the store and realize the fit is not going to work or the particular size I need is only made in certain limited colors. Or the sleeves are way too tight to fit layers beneath them. Or even the 3xl is way too tight like the Peloton 97. Sometimes the pullover version of an item fits perfect but the same version in quarter zip has sleeves that are way too short! Peloton 118 I'm talking to you! Their patterns are not very consistent. Glad I'm not limited to online ordering.

Back on topic, my Peloton 240 top is awesome but I agree it's cut too short in front, it's weird. My Kutana jacket is cut much longer front and back.

Thats pretty funny but I am not what anybody would consider fat. I am only 5-11 but have a long torso and muscular upper body. The issue isn’t the width of the jacket its the length. Why would the peloton xxl be 2” longer than the xxl guide jacket? In my mind an outer layer should cover the layers underneath so I would question the technically appropriate sizing comment. My question now is whether I upsize to a xxxl for added length, change jacket styles or abandon kuiu outer wear. Can anybody comment

Thats pretty funny but I am not what anybody would consider fat. I am only 5-11 but have a long torso and muscular upper body. The issue isn’t the width of the jacket its the length. Why would the peloton xxl be 2” longer than the xxl guide jacket? In my mind an outer layer should cover the layers underneath so I would question the technically appropriate sizing comment. My question now is whether I upsize to a xxxl for added length, change jacket styles or abandon kuiu outer wear. Can anybody comment

I bet someone here can measure the length of their xxl and xxxl guide to help you out. I can go to the outlet store next week and do it for you.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I live about 2 hours from Dixon and have always considered making a trip over there to verify my sizing in their gear and make a note for future purchases. I think that Kuiu offers some of best hunting gear available but seriously they need to double check their sizing guide.

mlgc20

WKR
I will say that overall I love Kuiu gear. My Yukon jacket is my favorite piece of clothing I own. My issue isn’t that they run small. It’s the inconsistency across their offerings that drives me crazy. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason. I have bought some things in my “normal” Kuiu size and end up looking like Chris Farley wearing David Spades jacket.

I am also on the husky side. I finally gave up on kuiu tops. Sizing was way too whacky for me. I had to size my guide jacket up to 3xl ( I am normally 2 xl) to get enough room to be comfortable.

I have no idea who kuiu uses for the sizing. The xxl guide fits smaller than my xl north face and my xl first lite. Im worried that if I get a xxxl the sleeves will be too long. Did you notice a big change in sleeve length when going from a xxl to a xxxl

I was in the same boat. I have the Axis in 2X and the sleeves are long on it. Was worried that the 3X would be terribly long, so I ended up keeping the 2X and it works great with a light base layer on under it. If I wanted to layer anything more, it would be tight. Hoping to shed about 30 lbs by November and hopefully then I'd be able to layer a puffy under it. My Peloton 240 seems to fit about the same as the Axis.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
My peloton 240 fits perfect so maybe the axis jacket is sized differently than the guide. I don’t fully understand the sizing differences between clothing lines. My attack pants fit great but I recently received some pro pants in the same size and they are like skinny jeans. Way too tight in all the wrong areas.

LongCut

FNG
I'm curious to know if the sizing changes slightly by garment, due to the manufacturing location?? I checked about 10 pieces of Kuiu gear and was slightly surprised to find they were made in about 6 different countries, per the tags? Like I have said, I got a super down vest in 2X that fits great, but all other tops, I ended up in a 3X. Pants I had to go to a 40 (38 "fit" but didn't leave much room for layers/tucking in tops). Hats and glove fit is normal.

Badseed - Where is the peloton 240 made?

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Its made in ethiopia