Kuiu Katana Softshell

ba5592

WKR
For those that have the Katana Soft Shell, what would the likely temperature range be? Also, how is the breathability? Trying to figure out where it fits. Thanks.

Picked one up this week. I'll let you know after I get it in the field in a few weeks. I realize this is an older post so if you have any info please do share!

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered one last week so I’m hoping to have by Friday to run it through the paces hunting coastal blacktails in Washington.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Got my Kutana today. First impression is the fit & finish are awesome for me. I layered a my superdown vest & puffy coat with the Kutana over the top. It worked fine & could get you out in pretty cold weather in the late season & be comfortable. The DWR is amazing on this piece. I will have it out this weekend to see how it works in wet 45-55 degree weather

Let me know. I am really liking the idea of this one. Seems similar to the Sitka Kelvin Active jacket.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Well I wore it this morning in 52 degrees,10mph wind & pouring rain doing my morning routine at work. First off the jacket is super comfortable & the new DWR is frickin amazing. I had it over just a t-shirt & it felt plenty warm enough in that temperature. Wind blocking seemed on par with the peloton 240 I had. With a couple layers underneath it would be an adequate piece blocking wind. The water runs off like Teflon & after shaking off the beads of water the fabric seamed dry although I don’t think that would be the case in all day rain. For a T-shower it would keep you dry for sure & I think the fabric will dry super fast. I’ve heard knocks on soft shells for backpack hunts but I’m not so sure I would leave this piece at home. Love it so far & report back after chasing blacktails this weekend.👍🏻😎

I love it! Let me know how it works. Im super intrigued by this piece and think it could be an awesome mid layer/outer layer. It is lighter than a full blown soft shell but can give you the abrasion resistance you won't get with a fleece.

Well I wore it this morning in 52 degrees,10mph wind & pouring rain doing my morning routine at work. First off the jacket is super comfortable & the new DWR is frickin amazing. I had it over just a t-shirt & it felt plenty warm enough in that temperature. Wind blocking seemed on par with the peloton 240 I had. With a couple layers underneath it would be an adequate piece blocking wind. The water runs off like Teflon & after shaking off the beads of water the fabric seamed dry although I don’t think that would be the case in all day rain. For a T-shower it would keep you dry for sure & I think the fabric will dry super fast. I’ve heard knocks on soft shells for backpack hunts but I’m not so sure I would leave this piece at home. Love it so far & report back after chasing blacktails this weekend.👍🏻😎
I'm thinking of running the StrongFleece 260 under this and calling it good for AZ hunts around 25-45. Keep a puffy in my bag for super cold windy glassing stands and that's it.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
I think that combo would be perfect for those temps active hunting. I had my down vest,puffy over that & Kutana over that & it worked fine. I think a guy could sit in cold wind & glass comfortably no problem. I think it will be a solid piece warm weather or cold & layers up or alone.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Wore the Kutana hunting this weekend in low 50’s & rain. Wore a merino short sleeve,Peleton 97,Kutana soft shell & first lite stormtight. It was way too warm hiking 2 miles in before daylight. The rain subsided shortly after daylight & I spent the rest of the day comfortable in the 97 & Kutana with a 10 mph wind. I’m confident it will be effective as a stand-alone in warmer weather all the way down to layering up in sub freezing weather. Really happy with the purchase & would highly recommend.