KUIU KENAI Hooded Jacket live field review **Updated 2/2/22**

Kwa_bena

FNG
Morning @pawlyb i did run it as a mid layer on a few days in October in to the 20s and got cold…….the majority of my time wearing the Kenai was as an outer layer to test durability, breath ability and the water resistance aspect…..for most would say comfort would be in to the 40s and 30s and once you get into the 20s you will need another insulating layer…in November I ran it over my super down pro into the low teens once I got to elevation as another insulating layer when sitting then wore as my out layer when moving…..
I have the Kenai vest and run it under my jackets street wear included. It almost run too hot for me where I live in the 40's. 30's to upper 30's seems to be the sweet spot as mid layer. I didn't get to hunt this year but did plenty of hiking in it. It's worth the $165.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I got a new Kenai for Christmas and have used it on a few duck hunts over the last two weeks and have been very impressed. I have used it as a mid-layer under a Banded wader jacket with a FL Furnace underneath both and it is incredibly warm and lightweight. I love how it is not bulky and does not restrict movement. Like all of my Kuiu pieces, it is very comfortable and surprisingly warm considering how light it is. It will definitely be in my pack next Sept for my elk hunt. So far I give this jacket two thumbs up.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned a kenai for about 6 years-ish and I do like it but am having an issue that I'm wondering if anyone else has seen. I usually use it as an outer layer over a fleece shirt when I get chilled. I like how it packs pretty well and I don't get all clamy while walking like I do with my down jacket. It seems pretty quiet against the brush but it's getting all pilled or whatever you call it. My jacket is all fuzzy looking now. We hunt in a lot of dwarf birch and it's like walking through velcro. Very tangly and grabs onto everything. No thorns but just a rough bush. Alaska is covered with it, or seems like it! Have they changed the outer material or does someone know of anything else that would work and be as quiet? I can pull of my fleece layer and put it over my kenai but that is a pain everytime I need to adjust.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
im working on the review and I do have a small amount of piling as they say low on the arms….not causing issues but simply an item that did occur from heavy use and I believe brush busting.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the pilling isn't causing any major issues other than I imagine it doesn't do anything for the DWR! Besides, if its wet out then I just put my rain gear on.

utley010

FNG
Morning @pawlyb i did run it as a mid layer on a few days in October in to the 20s and got cold…….the majority of my time wearing the Kenai was as an outer layer to test durability, breath ability and the water resistance aspect…..for most would say comfort would be in to the 40s and 30s and once you get into the 20s you will need another insulating layer…in November I ran it over my super down pro into the low teens once I got to elevation as another insulating layer when sitting then wore as my out layer when moving…..
What sizes are your outer layers when using it as a mid layer? What size super down pro do you use to be able to layer the kenai over it?

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has quickly become my go to all around jacket…last week after a good trek stripped down put on a dry layer and the jacket and started down and out…Odin was like dad you have one for me to🥰

Attachments

• 035EAB01-0A60-421D-AAE3-B8EB1FAD56E9.jpeg
    035EAB01-0A60-421D-AAE3-B8EB1FAD56E9.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 61

Blandry

WKR
If I didn't have a super down and elements jacket (SUPER tough jacket) I'd be in the market for one of these. I do like the integrated stuff sack and it appears to use the same super beefy zipper in the Elements jackets. I tell you what, that zipper will NEVER fail.

Can't have too much KUIU gear. God bless these innovators like Jason Hairston and may he rest in peace!

Last edited:

Skybuster

FNG
How windproof is this jacket?

Would a 18-20mph wind make you feel cold at around 55F just a shirt under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blandry

WKR
I would imagine completely windproof.. my elements jacket is 100% windproof.

Living in CO and hunting in WY and CO windproof is something I hold in high regard.

It can backfire and you sweat so layers are essential.

with that said.. 55 deg and you need a jacket???

Results Fahrenheit (°F)Celsius (°C)Kelvin (K)Estimated Wind Chill Temperature:50.1610.09283.24
https://goodcalculators.com/wind-chill-calculator/
© 2015-2022 goodcalculators.com

Skybuster

FNG
I would imagine completely windproof.. my elements jacket is 100% windproof.

Living in CO and hunting in WY and CO windproof is something I hold in high regard.

It can backfire and you sweat so layers are essential.

with that said.. 55 deg and you need a jacket???

Results Fahrenheit (°F)Celsius (°C)Kelvin (K)Estimated Wind Chill Temperature:50.1610.09283.24
https://goodcalculators.com/wind-chill-calculator/
2015-2022 goodcalculators.com

Yep, 55* Fahrenheit, static or really low activity windy don’t recall the wind chill but let says 48-50F.
I don’t like the look of regular puffy jackets.

Just looked at the Element spec and like you mention that one says 100% windproof.
The Kenai says wind resistant, so was wondering how wind resistant the Kenai is, saw this test.

(hold the fabric against your mouth and blow against it as hard as you can. An average adult can generate a maximum pressure of approximately 2 pounds per square inch this way, which is roughly the equivalent of a 20 mph wind. If you can feel your breath coming through the fabric (or not), you thus have a good gauge for its effectiveness. Likewise if your breath passes through easily (low wind-resistance) or with difficulty (moderate wind-resistance)

For reference I have the Axis Hybrid and when I did that test is almost impossible to pass air and that one says wind resistant.
But is more like windproof.

So trying to see if the Kenai let air easily or not.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Odin just did your test 🥰 there is a subtle amount that comes through when forcing hard would say good to 25+before you would feel anything🤙

Attachments

• ABFCD2D8-9E0A-4979-AE9A-C5A853A88431.jpeg
    ABFCD2D8-9E0A-4979-AE9A-C5A853A88431.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 29

Skybuster

FNG
lol,
Not sure if that counts.

Is just bad the solid colors are out of stock at the moment.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also did it 🤙 would give the 25 mph nod as with a good force of breath I felt my breath coming through…