Kuiu Kenai Pants vs First Lite Uncompaghre Puffy Pants

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to get some insulated pants to put on in the deer stand after I have arrived and climbed up the tree in my tree climber. I also want these pants to be packable. I will be carrying them on some long walks in. I would wear these pants when it’s cold in the SE US and probably in the 20’s-30’s. The pants don’t need to be brush durable. I would prefer them to be quiet. I do want to take them out west in the near future.

These are the two pants I am comparing because they seem to fit the bill and have full zips. Am I barking up the right tree with these pants? What are the good and bad about these pants? Should I be concerned the Kenai don’t have a fly zipper? How’s the fit on both? Are the FL puffy pants quiet enough?

Thanks in advance!

blackdawg

WKR
I have the Kenai, they are quiet enough for whitetail, warm enough. They don’t pack small like down. Kuiu camo is a kinda poor in whitetail woods imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STL

FNG
I have the uncompahgre pants and use them for what you describe, packing in and putting on at the tree. I use them when I don’t want or need to bring my heavier bibs. I like them a lot for that.

With any puffy pants, you’re trading some durability and noise for packable warmth. If you’re ok with that, the unc pants are a good compromise imo. They’re not silent but pretty quiet for puffy pants, a lot quieter than down ime, do a good job at blocking wind, and warm enough for those temps. Although, the lower end may be pushing it, depending on conditions, layers, and how long of a sit.

No experience with the kenai but I have looked into them. From the reviews I’ve seen, they are quieter, not quite as warm, not as good at blocking wind, and less durable. The fly does actually help when trying to put on the unc pants over other layers while in your stand, and obviously when nature calls.

As far as fit, I have two pairs, medium and large. I’m 5’10 190 34 inch waist. The large is quite a bit bigger than the medium. I slide them over my tree saddle and I could layer the mediums under the large no problem. The mediums fit me better as pants and layer over regular pants just fine and under other layers as a mid. The waist stretches some too.

*zap*

WKR
I think the kenai zip off is an under your pant item and the uncom is an over your pant item.....uncom top/bottom are both awesome for what I use them for. I have a kenai but do not use it much.

I don't think the FL puffy is gonna be quiet enough for you sitting for whitetail. That outer material is just plain loud on my Uncompahgre vest and jacket.