KUIU KENAI PANTS

Just seeing what everyones experiences is with the Kenai pants. I am head to the NBR this fall for caribou and looking for a puffy that I can use for temps between 20-50 and also possibly use back home as outerwear for whitetail before having to use my really warm gear. I have zero experience with the kenai pieces and am worried about the warmth of the pants while stationary. Any input appreciated. Not much info on them anywhere. Thanks!

68Plexi

WKR
Your mileage may vary, but my experience with the Kenai pants is they are excellent for insulation when you are moving, but they are not “down pant” warm when stationary.

I’ve worn them while hiking in the snow, sitting to glass, and for when I know the mornings are going to be cold (20’s) and zip them off for afternoons when it warms up.

Great insulation layer if you are moving, or sitting for a while and then moving, but I would think you would want something warmer if you were always going to be stationary in the 20-30’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I use them for whitetail hunting, and they're great to throw on once I get stopped. But, for me they reach their limit around 30 degrees. They are amazingly quiet, which is a huge plus for me. You used the word "outerwear" though, so I'd caution that you probably don't want to be moving through vegetation in these - they're pretty delicate.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
How would you compare the Kenai pants to the FL Puffy pants for the original question?

Bringing this back up. How is the warmth on the Kenai pant. I understand it won't be as warm as down but I would hope glassing in 28 - 30 degree weather with base layer, pants and Kenai pants you would stay warm.

Pdzoller

WKR
Not a ton of people using these it seems. I just picked some up for November blacktail in the Oregon cascades. My experience with the cascades in November is that it’s usually cold, wet and stormy. Can be a crap shoot some years. Only thing that I really can count on is that everything is going to get wet.

I decided to pick these up because I wanted a synthetic insulation layer that would work even if they got wet. After reading the comments on here I’m skeptical. I’ll bring my down pants just in case. I’ll also put a review on here after the hunt. (Hopefully it’s a good one lol)

Pdzoller

WKR
Didn’t really get a chance to put enough time with the Kenai pants to put a good review together. I filled my tag the first evening of the hunt. I’ll be using them come spring if I draw the tag I’m putting in for.

Dennis

WKR
I have both Kuiu Ultra down and Kenai pants and jackets. Kenai pants are dead quiet and soft for close range hunting. I like to put them on chilly days when sitting in blinds bowhunting. I would think the Kenai pants would be great on a caribou hunt and to wear under rain gear if really cold and windy. They are easy to zip on and off and I think they would dry quick. The one down side is the Kenai pants don't have a zippered fly which is a little pain sometimes.

The down pant is warmer and lighter but much noisier for close range hunting. I use them for glassing at distance in dry cold climates.