Kuiu Kenai Ultra as mid layer?

ChrisAU

WKR
Was perusing the Kuiu site today and got to looking at the Kenai Ultra. Never paid it much attention. But at the weight, with pit zips, synthetic insulation, is anyone running it as their mid layer for back country hunts? My main thought being it’s be nice to be able to open the pit zips instead of stopping and taking my pack off if I get too hot hiking when it’s really cold.

Current upper layering system is:

FL Wick 150 Short Sleeve
Kuiu Peloton 97 Hoody
Kuiu Strongfleece 210
Arc’Teryx Cerium LT
OR Helium II Rain Shell

Think the Kenai could take the place of the strongfleece? One reason I really like the Strongfleece are the pockets, nice in camp or when glassing when temps only make me go up to mid layer but don’t want to be wearing heavy gloves.

LeeB

FNG
Think I’m gonna order a kenai vest to run with my 260 hoody when it gets really cold.

I love my kenai (original, not ultra). But it’s a front country piece for me, unless it’s really cold and I expect to wear it almost constantly. It’s a little too warm for seriously hiking around unless it’s in the 30s for me.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the most part my original kenai worked as a mid layer. Early season with stable weather it worked as both insulation and midlayer. I wouldn’t pack in for an extended trip as my only insulation though.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Was perusing the Kuiu site today and got to looking at the Kenai Ultra. Never paid it much attention. But at the weight, with pit zips, synthetic insulation, is anyone running it as their mid layer for back country hunts? My main thought being it’s be nice to be able to open the pit zips instead of stopping and taking my pack off if I get too hot hiking when it’s really cold.

Current upper layering system is:

FL Wick 150 Short Sleeve
Kuiu Peloton 97 Hoody
Kuiu Strongfleece 210
Arc’Teryx Cerium LT
OR Helium II Rain Shell

Think the Kenai could take the place of the strongfleece? One reason I really like the Strongfleece are the pockets, nice in camp or when glassing when temps only make me go up to mid layer but don’t want to be wearing heavy gloves.

Everyone is different, so for me - that upper layering system is too warm when moving. And its one reason why I went with Kenai Ultra vest. So I layer:

Off brand merino half zip
Peleton 240 full zip
Wind shell

I add the Ultra vest between the Merino and the 240 when I stop/get cold

robie

WKR
I love the Kenai. I got it in gray and wear it around town. The weight is great for vacations.

When hunting I will put my yukon over it and base under it. Great setup.

If it's really cold I'll add ultra down under it when I'm sitting.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

68Plexi

WKR
Love my Kenai (original). It’s warm to hike in, but the pit zips are key. If it’s cold (below 30), I hike in it pit zips open and pit zips open on my outer shell and I’m good to go. Zip everything up when I sit. Dries fast too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The kenai is definitely more of a puffy jacket. Not sure if it would be interchangeable with the 260.

That being said, I love my kenai ultra. It’s light, quiet, packable, and relatively durable. It is not as warm as a down puffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
Pit zips on a mid layer just doesn’t sound right. Hold up a minute. Let me take off my outer layer, unzip my mid layer’s pit zips, and put my outer layer back on.

pirogue

WKR
Pit zips on a mid layer just doesn’t sound right. Hold up a minute. Let me take off my outer layer, unzip my mid layer’s pit zips, and put my outer layer back on.
Not a big deal if you have pit zips on the outer layer also.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR

For when you’re not wearing an outer layer though...I never move in anything more than my base and mid layers unless it’s raining.
/snowing.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Kenai as an outer, and throw my rain coat over it if it gets really nasty. I also like to wear the Sitka Mountain Vest under it to help cut the wind.

idig4au

WKR
The original Kenai was a great piece of kit and one of my favorites pieces. I upgraded to the Ultra version and I found it ill fitting and I froze in it, even when walking during my last international mountain hunt. Its just not the same jacket even the spec's are nearly the same. I used it just once for that trip and gave it to the local guide as I sure was heck wasn't going to bring it back home with me. I like a lot of Kuiu clothing....just not that piece as it performed poorly compared to the original version in the same conditions.